Tracing an ancestor in India

I am trying to find out information on British army officers in India from mid 1850s to about 1920

My grandfather was born in Bengal, as was my great great grandmother but i need to find out about great grandfather.

I can apply for grandfathers service records which may give fathers rank ????

I have joined ancestry.co.uk but furthest I have got is record in 1911 census of grandfather aged 1 in a barracks in england with his mum that gave nationality as british but born in bengal.

help me save a bob or two

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
The Mormons may have something on Familysearch but otherwise the India and Oriental Studies section in the British Library has a raft of stuff from British India up to 1947, including bishops' transcripts of C of E baptisms, marriages and burials, all indexed in ledgers. Various directories as well. If your forebear was Indian Army the BL holds those records also; if British Army there may be stuff in the National Archives at Kew. Unfortunately for you, one has to foot it to the BL (almost next door to Kings Cross/St Pancras/Euston) & take ID.

I decend from the Jemadar,s of the British Army of India.
you may find it helpfull to search "Sikh awards british army "on google
good luck

If you manage to locate a specific garrison or parish (in India), then it might be worth even going there to investigate, or contacting the local church. As a teenager, I lived in Calcutta and Dacca; I remember that expat historical groups were able to view church registers dating back to the eighteenth century - births, deaths, weddings and christenings of East India Company staff and other Christian foreigners.

If you manage to locate a specific garrison or parish (in India), then it might be worth even going there to investigate, or contacting the local church. As a teenager, I lived in Calcutta and Dacca; I remember that expat historical groups were able to view church registers dating back to the eighteenth century - births, deaths, weddings and christenings of East India Company staff and other Christian foreigners.
India Office records in the British Library might be worth a look.

Try here

India Office Family History Search

but also search the main catalogue at

Login

Oh - and the BL holds copies of the Indian Army List that you can plod through, as does the National Archives at Kew, although I recall the BL's holdings as being more comprehensive.

I've just found the record of one my ancestors birth ( Sealkote in India now Sialkot Pakistan) b 1852 on this site familysearch.org indian section. Wont be visiting in the near future though.

Further information.
He was a Cpl in 1st Battalion 24th Regiment of Foot (2nd warwickshire)

Their service in India ties in with his childrens births as shown.

5 March 1847 - October 1848 Agra, India ------Harriett 22 Sep 1848
3 October 1848 - March 1849 2nd Sikh War (Chillianwallah, Goojerat)
April 1849 - December 1852 Wazirabad, India ------Eli John 20 Oct 1850
5 December 1852 - 1 November 1854 Sialkot, India ------Robert 19 Aug 1852 #my ancestor
28 November 1854 - December 1856 Peshawar, India ------William Alexander 25 Sep 1855
13 December 1856 - 1858 Indian Mutiny @ Rawalpindi ------Dorothea 18 Mar 1858
1858 - 22 March 1861 India, various stations @ Ferozepore -------Thomas 07 Jan 1860
22 March 1861 - 27 July 1861 At sea
27 July 1861 - 22 May 1862 New Barracks,Gosport, Hampshire
22 May 1862 - September 1862 Anglesea Barracks, Portsea, Hampshire ------Henrietta 4 Jul 1862

He later emigrated to N Zealand and died in 1894 (the day after his wife died)