• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Tr-Service Rank Structure

Always amuses me to see we still have details on Field Marshal, Admiral fo the Fleet and Marshal of the Air Force..... we'll be lucky to have a section ic the way we're going.

Quinn said:
Anyone know a good link to a comparsion chart between tri-service ranks?
Please don't tell me some RAF Flight Sgt has been chopsing it about being a WO again.

Lets have some civilian equivalent ranks again, these haven't raised their heads in a while.

dingerr said:
Quinn said:
Anyone know a good link to a comparsion chart between tri-service ranks?
Please don't tell me some RAF Flight Sgt has been chopsing it about being a WO again.

Lets have some civilian equivalent ranks again, these haven't raised their heads in a while.
No problem. I'm a civi => I outrank you! :p

STANAG-2116 ED.5
NATO CODES FOR GRADES OF MILITARY PERSONNEL

Is the official source, if you can get access to it.

It is very useful if working with Jonny Foreigner as it shows seniority within levels. It's almost as useful as it is dull.

Gremlin said:
Or try this, which includes OR's, J/SNCO's and has a side-by-side comparison:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/angela764/military/british_ranks.html
This is correct in every way except for the fact that the SAC rank in the RAF is not equivalent to LCpl in the army. As everyone in the RAF (non-commissioned) becomes a Senior Aircraftperson after one year it is more equated to senior private. It is not an NCO rank.

oops, edited to note that golf_one_one has already made the point. I'll get my coat.

PoisonDwarf said:
Hey, Debretts are starting to catch on. They have published rank comparisons etc, although they still don't seem to count non-officers are real people worthy of a mention.

http://www.debretts.com/forms-of-address/professions/armed-forces/relative-ranks.aspx

On a related note, they do mention the correct form for retired officers etc, a subject that has been discussed on ARRSE many times.
And is also incorrect!

A Midshipman is junior in rank to a 2Lt/Plt Offr and is senior to an OCdt. The equivalents of a 2Lt/Plt Offr are a Sub-Lt undergoing fleet training who would be distinguished from the more senior Sub-Lt by a broad white flash worn under the loop on the shoulder-board.

While I'm not disputing the statement, it's also the first I've heard that a Capt RN of 6 yrs seniority somehow ranks with a Commodore and the equivalent 1* ranks, and my old man was a 2 1/2 ringer. I am aware that a Capt RM ranks with a Maj when afloat, and I know that there is a habit of giving acting ranks for long periods for RN officers in staff job who are then made substantive to that rank the day they leave.

woopert said:
While I'm not disputing the statement, it's also the first I've heard that a Capt RN of 6 yrs seniority somehow ranks with a Commodore and the equivalent 1* ranks, and my old man was a 2 1/2 ringer. I am aware that a Capt RM ranks with a Maj when afloat, and I know that there is a habit of giving acting ranks for long periods for RN officers in staff job who are then made substantive to that rank the day they leave.
This all is from pre-99 RN Ranks, when Cdre wasn't a substantive rank. For pay and seniority purposes, 6 year+ Capt RN were indeed equivalent to Brig/Air Cdre. Now that Cdre is a true rank, that ruling has gone out the window.

At the same time, Royal equaled rank with the Army as opposed to the RN - i.e. a Capt RM was the same as a Capt Army (which is the same as a Lt RN), as opposed to a Lt RM = Lt RN = Capt Army. Apparently they were getting a bit threaders with being told to bounce up and down rank dependent upon who they were hanging out with! It did also create a situation for my Squadron Senior Officer at BRNC who went from Lt RM to Maj RM in 14 months!!

Also interesting (though spotterish...) that Debretts hasn't noticed that many officers refer to officers above the rank of Lt Col by rank and forename in conversation where that officer is known to them well- eg Brigadier Chris etc. In some regiments they take that VERY seriously.

Latest Threads