Toys R Us and Maplins go bust

2000 is twenty year ago. They still flog the same style as they did in the 80s. Meanwhile their founder has been dead 35 years. Surely there are more relevant brands?
I suppose 'relevant' is different for different people.Our local one is always busy.It is in a Kent country town with a large population of old money landed gentry and well of pensioners.
My wife likes it because you get to see what you are buying.The online alternatives give you no option to do that.

Yokel

LE
Maplin could have sold a lot of kits to people hooked up at home right now and needing to find something to do. If only they had not gone to the High Street.

I see that Primark is also closing at the moment. What with the closure of pubs and cafes, I bet the Hight Street is like the Mary Celeste.

I suppose 'relevant' is different for different people.Our local one is always busy.It is in a Kent country town with a large population of old money landed gentry and well of pensioners.
My wife likes it because you get to see what you are buying.The online alternatives give you no option to do that.
From a business owners perspective, relevant means only one thing; am I making a profit.

There are plenty of niche boutiques selling in to the offline market. Just don’t expect similar prices to those who only sell on line.

ugly

LE
This original thread is so dead the replacement tenants for Maplins close to us have been bust and shut down for a year now

I see that Primark is also closing at the moment. What with the closure of pubs and cafes, I bet the Hight Street is like the Mary Celeste.
Heard on the morning news that closure of all ‘non essential’ retail businesses is under consideration by HMGov.

A necessary step but how many of the currently on the brink and hand to mouth businesses will not be able to re-open or will just not bother In the brave new world that follows CV19?

I used to buy all my radio components online at various kit suppliers. In the event I needed urgently I could nip into Maplins but had to pay well over the odds. They really went away from the construction market to flog "Boys toys" and high priced hobby items. Better when they were Radio Shack dealers. :cool:

aardvark64

Old-Salt
Heard on the morning news that closure of all ‘non essential’ retail businesses is under consideration by HMGov.

A necessary step but how many of the currently on the brink and hand to mouth businesses will not be able to re-open or will just not bother In the brave new world that follows CV19?
Having just been in to the shops to get beer and food the only places open were Sainsburys, Lidl, the corner shop that sells food and a couple of takeaways. I'm not sure what businesses are left to shut, especially when off-licenses were declared 'essential' this week.

Yokel

LE
I used to buy all my radio components online at various kit suppliers. In the event I needed urgently I could nip into Maplins but had to pay well over the odds. They really went away from the construction market to flog "Boys toys" and high priced hobby items. Better when they were Radio Shack dealers. :cool:
Radio Shack traded in Britain as Tandy. Thinking off it they used to be on the High Street, not far from where the Maplin shop was until the company went bust.

A good Maplin project would be ideal for the lockdown period.

Having just been in to the shops to get beer and food the only places open were Sainsburys, Lidl, the corner shop that sells food and a couple of takeaways. I'm not sure what businesses are left to shut, especially when off-licenses were declared 'essential' this week.
I think the thing that saved off licences was the fact that many of them sell food items - I think. Or maybe I just go in shops that sell booze as well as other stuff.

I think the thing that saved off licences was the fact that many of them sell food items - I think. Or maybe I just go in shops that sell booze as well as other stuff.
True but I'm not sure crisps and peanuts are what most people have in mind for 'shop selling food' ;)

My post was on Monday before the announcement on compulsory closures (and exceptions) were announced but if the lockdown is tightened further then no doubt more will follow... Places like DIY sheds to non tradespeople, 'home' stores which I take to be places like The Range, TK Maxx etc.. maybe off licences will go back on the list.

True but I'm not sure crisps and peanuts are what most people have in mind for 'shop selling food' ;)
Where I live, all of the offies are primarily food with news, booze and tobacco corner shops. The only pure booze shop I can think of is a WhiƧky IƧ UƧ type of place some miles distant.

Radio Shack traded in Britain as Tandy. Thinking off it they used to be on the High Street, not far from where the Maplin shop was until the company went bust.
Not sure it went bust... I think that around the turn of the century, it was bought lock, stock and TRS-80 as a going concern by CarPhone Warehouse who wanted the instant high street presence that Tandy had.

I believe the brand name was sold on and became an online seller of components etc. Whether or not it still trades...?

giatttt

Clanker
Places like DIY sheds to non tradespeople,
B&Q has a trade counter, that and Screwfix (same company) are primary suppliers to most tradesmen. They have a target to suck up the business off all the independent trades suppliers as it's the only way they can grow.

Brighthouse is about to go to the wall... shame about the 2,400 jobs.

Rent-to-own firm Brighthouse calls administrators
Sad for their employees but I’m not sure it will be missed. Flogging giant flat screen TVs on rent-to-buy contracts at 30+% APR to people on low incomes isn’t much different from Wonga’s level of business ethics.

Brighthouse must be carrying a shed load of bad debt and it’s one finance can’t be cheap.

Latest Threads