Toys R Us and Maplins go bust

TamH70

MIA
Probably the best thread to put this news in - it seems that Carphone Warehouse is shuttering all its standalone stores soon:

Nearly 3000 people are to lose their jobs. Bit of a shame, because unlike Maplins, I actually liked going to Carphone Warehouse's shops.

Yokel

LE
Laura Ashley has just gone down. Coronavirus was the last straw in discussions to try to save the brand.
I fear it will be the end for many struggling retailers as well as many pubs, cafes, and so on. I think it is a problem for pretty much any kind of business serving the public.

If Government has ordered them to close down then they could make an insurance claim.

Tool

LE
I fear it will be the end for many struggling retailers as well as many pubs, cafes, and so on. I think it is a problem for pretty much any kind of business serving the public.

If Government has ordered them to close down then they could make an insurance claim.
I do feel sorry for the (especially smaller) retailers. The next 3-5 years are going to be complex.

By the same token, insurance companies could show compassion in light of the official recommendations.

Laura Ashley has just gone down. Coronavirus was the last straw in discussions to try to save the brand.
I generally thought they had all but binned the operations on UK and gone for a Chinese

Probably the best thread to put this news in - it seems that Carphone Warehouse is shuttering all its standalone stores soon:

Nearly 3000 people are to lose their jobs. Bit of a shame, because unlike Maplins, I actually liked going to Carphone Warehouse's shops.
They are moving Carphone in to, is it Currys?
No need for Carphone Warehouse shops.
The manager said he had been offered a job in Currys? When I was buying twenty 11 pound phones

Last edited:
A few pretentious cünts will be soooooooo disappointed.

TamH70

MIA
So it's curtains. then?... or not.
More like big and posh steel shutters coming down to cover the windows and stop the Hoi Polloi from raiding the shops.

daz

LE
I ordered some Torx screw driver bits from RS Components on Saturday pm , total order value £15.00 , Parcel force rocked up today with my bits at 0920 , amazing service, your high street supplier would not have been able to order off his distributor until today.
That is the reason RS Components stay in business.
An idiot QA manager in the firm I worked for decided to take them off our approved suppliers list as we had never audited them.
That lasted slightly more than a day and he was gone within the month.

That is the reason RS Components stay in business.
An idiot QA manager in the firm I worked for decided to take them off our approved suppliers list as we had never audited them.
That lasted slightly more than a day and he was gone within the month.
That made me laugh. The company I used to work for had a QA, who was also the accountant. When are mobiles came up for renewal, he changed suppliers. No Data, no international calls. I ran up a data bill of over 2 grand using google maps in London for a couple of days, we had people in South Africa, France, and the middle east all using data for email. The bill was massive.

Yokel

LE
That made me laugh. The company I used to work for had a QA, who was also the accountant. When are mobiles came up for renewal, he changed suppliers. No Data, no international calls. I ran up a data bill of over 2 grand using google maps in London for a couple of days, we had people in South Africa, France, and the middle east all using data for email. The bill was massive.
Which is why there is such a thing the the continuous improvement cycle: Plan - Do - Check - Act.

Great ideas often turn out to be terrible. This probably contributed to the demise of a number of big name retailers.

Back to the present situation, the closures of cafes, bars, and the like will mean less people going into shops and making purchases.

I do feel sorry for the (especially smaller) retailers. The next 3-5 years are going to be complex.

By the same token, insurance companies could show compassion in light of the official recommendations.
They are a business not a charity.

John Lewis closing all (JL) stores until further notice.

It seems that ‘partners’ (staff) will be redeployed into Waitrose stores but you can’t help but think John Lewis are happy to ease the cost pressure on the department store business.

Even continuing to cover the wage bill, leaving the stores dark and shifting sales entirely online for a few months will generate significant costs savings along with government C19 business rates relief etc.

TamH70

MIA
John Lewis closing all (JL) stores until further notice.

It seems that ‘partners’ (staff) will be redeployed into Waitrose stores but you can’t help but think John Lewis are happy to ease the cost pressure on the department store business.

Even continuing to cover the wage bill, leaving the stores dark and shifting sales entirely online for a few months will generate significant costs savings along with government C19 business rates relief etc.
Ikea, Dorothy Perkins, Wallis, Clarks, and TK Maxx are joining them. There are a whole lot of others too.

( Excuse the "The Sun" link but they're the only one with this information easily available on Bing.com, and it's far too early in the morning to go Googling. )

Been a long time since Laura Ashley went down on anyone. She’s been dead 35 years.

Joking apart, brands have a life. Hers was alive in the 70s and 80s. It’s completely irrelevant in the 21st Century. What I can’t understand is why anyone would invest good money on dead old brands.

Been a long time since Laura Ashley went down on anyone. She’s been dead 35 years.

Joking apart, brands have a life. Hers was alive in the 70s and 80s. It’s completely irrelevant in the 21st Century. What I can’t understand is why anyone would invest good money on dead old brands.
They nearly went bust in 1998. Saved by a Malaysian businessman and their sales in 2000 were over £276m.
Covid 19 has scuppered any chance of new investment.

They nearly went bust in 1998. Saved by a Malaysian businessman and their sales in 2000 were over £276m.
Covid 19 has scuppered any chance of new investment.
2000 is twenty year ago. They still flog the same style as they did in the 80s. Meanwhile their founder has been dead 35 years. Surely there are more relevant brands?

Latest Threads