Toys R Us and Maplins go bust

That really would be lovely.

I avoid Smith's and Boot's wherever possible. If either or both ever go bust, then it will be for the most obvious of reasons; they have completely ignored the principles of operating in a competitive market and have priced themselves out of it.

Now, shall I buy a Chinese made greetings card from a card shop in the high street at 99p, or shall I buy the same thing from W H Smith's at £4.99? Hmm... difficult one.
According to my local newsagent, WHS have a total monopoly on Newspaper distribution. While people are still coughing up for their daily ration of boobs and brag, I can't see WHS going down the swanee any time soon.

Interestingly rumours going out that one of the big firms that provides wine for BA may be teetering on the edge...

According to my local newsagent, WHS have a total monopoly on Newspaper distribution. While people are still coughing up for their daily ration of boobs and brag, I can't see WHS going down the swanee any time soon.
WHSmith is actually two separate companies... W. H. Smith plc (retail) and Smiths News plc (newspaper and magazine distribution). Your newsagent is referring to the distribution plc although being a monopoly / near monopoly does not in itself guarantee immunity from poor management, out of contro costs and market forces.

The retail plc is the one to watch though given its relatively high rent stores and vicious competition in everything it does.

WHSmiths (retail) also keeps wandering off in expansions and acquisitions that do not seem to fit with the core business and do not necessarily add any long term value.

Remember, this is the company that thought promoting a book about Josef Frutzel as a perfect Father's Day gift was a good idea. :eek:

Interestingly rumours going out that one of the big firms that provides wine for BA may be teetering on the edge...
Are you referring perhaps to Bibendum. It is a company wholly owned by Convivialty and thus, on the face of it, on the edge as you put it.

That said, with financial support from InBev, C&C Group (owners of Magners etc) have, according to reports today, made a bid for both Matthew Clark and Bibendem.

The world just may continue to turn.

Raspberry Pi3+ (the new one) 28 quid with free delivery. Same at Pihut 36 quid including posting.
Guess where my next board comes from.
Raspberry or Arduino... I am toying with the idea of buying some arduino kit to play around with.

Raspberry Pi3+ (the new one) 28 quid with free delivery. Same at Pihut 36 quid including posting.
Guess where my next board comes from.
Excellent - time to get an account and dust off some business ideas. Just need to find an empty room/shed/etc.....

I loved The A Team, but I never noticed BA touching booze. Maybe the stress of being hounded by the military police and being made to fly drove him to it?

Only quickly searched for Raspberry as on phone. I need Rpi Zeros with no postage(its so small standard letter size be ok)
Sorry... I was really asking which is better but I suppose that is dependent entirely on what the project Is.

Slightly off topic - although very much on the topic of electronic/electrical/mechanical components, tools, test equipment, etc........

This morning on ARRSE I keep seeing adverts for RS Components. They used to only supply businesses and organisations, not sales to the public. Has this changed?
I bought a VESA bracket from RS a few months ago, it came within 24 hours at half the price I could get it even from eBay

I did a job for WH Smith years ago, taking photographs of their execs and corporate headquarters for an annual report. I think it was in Swindon.

I had never met such a bunch of sour faced almost exclusively female stuck up opinionated bitches.

It was explained to me that these women were responsible for the positioning of where in the stores a book would be sighted. In pre Waterstones/Amazon days a huge amount of power, and their decision could be the difference between a book selling millions or hardly any copies at all.

No wonder they were so stuck up, having all of that power and having to live in Swindon.

I did a job for WH Smith years ago, taking photographs of their execs and corporate headquarters for an annual report. I think it was in Swindon.

I had never met such a bunch of sour faced almost exclusively female stuck up opinionated bitches.

It was explained to me that these women were responsible for the positioning of where in the stores a book would be sighted. In pre Waterstones/Amazon days a huge amount of power, and their decision could be the difference between a book selling millions or hardly any copies at all.

No wonder they were so stuck up, having all of that power and having to live in Swindon.
They've got a bloody great distribution centre in Dorcan, Swindon.

Raspberry or Arduino... I am toying with the idea of buying some arduino kit to play around with.
May I recommend - via Amazon, the Elegoo ultimate starter kit. Elegoo.com

2018-02-06 20.14.08.jpg

2018-02-06 20.14.16.jpg

You may indeed. I have looked at the Elegoo packs but the reviews seemed to be a bit mixed. Perhaps another look is in order.
No probs with mine so far - well packaged, certain components in electrostatic protective sleeves - nothing faulty.
Comprehensive Pdf manual available to get started on projects.

No probs with mine so far - well packaged, certain components in electrostatic protective sleeves - nothing faulty.
Comprehensive Pdf manual available to get started on projects.
Any good for developing and demonstrating skills?

There was an item on the BBC South West news programme, Spotlight, last night, about shops in Exeter struggling with the burden of business rates and rent increases. Surely councils must realise that driving local, independent, shops out of existence is not in their interest?

I fear that soon every High Street will be a clone of charity shops and dumbed down national chains. Even independent food/drink vendors are under the cosh. Not everyone like Starbucks and would prefer a local coffee shop or cafe.

Went to a Maplin store today. Big items still not much reduction off and even then still cheaper elsewhere. Small stuff for projects, if you can find it does have big reductions. Picked up some secure boxs I can use for a RPI and some battery mounts plus a small circuit to practice soldering on for less than a tenner. The secure box was £11.99 full price before.