Toyota Avensis or Auris Hybrid (Business use)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Partner just about to change his work car, has had an Avensis and it's been a great car. Now he's the choice of the Auris Hybrid which he reckons he'll save a shed load of tax on compared to the Avensis Diesel.
Anyone got an opinion on this hybrid, good or bad? He's got the order form and I don't want to end up driving a pile of shite for the next four years but I bet there's not much leg room.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
One used as a taxi over here. Seems reliable enough. Chap reckons he's saved himself at lot in fuel. Seems roomy enough for a couple of six footers. (If that's the one which recharges itself while it goes along and brakes and things). The driver and my engineer have an animated conversation about the tech involved. I just lose the will to live. Why not have a look and see how popular they are as taxis. Skodas (I know) seem to have taken over the taxiing firmament. Maybe the hybrids are next.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
One used as a taxi over here. Seems reliable enough. Chap reckons he's saved himself at lot in fuel. Seems roomy enough for a couple of six footers. (If that's the one which recharges itself while it goes along and brakes and things). The driver and my engineer have an animated conversation about the tech involved. I just lose the will to live. Why not have a look and see how popular they are as taxis. Skodas (I know) seem to have taken over the taxiing firmament. Maybe the hybrids are next.

See loads of Avensis Taxi's but not Auris. A plus is that it's automatic. I don't like petrol cars and I bet it's a snail compared to the diesel Avensis.
No idea how much cheaper it'd be tax wise.

Compared to cars 3 years ago the new ones have engines which seriously reduce the p11D cost.
I just had a new Golf with a few extras, it was £3k more than the previous Golf (3 years ago) but my tax code has benefited due to the low CO2 emissions.
Advice, do some runs in them and get onto the p11d calculator to see if the comfort is worth the differential

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Compared to cars 3 years ago the new ones have engines which seriously reduce the p11D cost.
I just had a new Golf with a few extras, it was £3k more than the previous Golf (3 years ago) but my tax code has benefited due to the low CO2 emissions.
Advice, do some runs in them and get onto the p11d calculator to see if the comfort is worth the differential
Yup they aren't cheap and numb nuts hasn't worked out tax difference.

florence

War Hero
We had a 1.8ltr Avensis petrol , VED went up from £175 - £195 . We were going to change cars anyway , got another Avensis but a 2ltr Diesel. It did 61mpg on holiday last year in Germany , £30 a year VED . Only drawback is that it's a saloon the last one was a Hatchback.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
We had a 1.8ltr Avensis petrol , VED went up from £175 - £195 . We were going to change cars anyway , got another Avensis but a 2ltr Diesel. It did 61mpg on holiday last year in Germany , £30 a year VED . Only drawback is that it's a saloon the last one was a Hatchback.

VED isn't a consideration it's a company car. I'm not convinced a hybrid petrol will be any more economical than a diesel though

I get 53 mpg out of the diesel. The company car mileage allowance I think makes diesels much more attractive. My partner and I both had golfs, they were getting 33 mpg out of their petrol. Not sure on the hybrid allowance. Will check the web site.

Mmhh hybrids are treated as patrols or diesels with reference to the mileage allowance. With careful refueling you could be quids in.

florence

War Hero
VED isn't a consideration it's a company car. I'm not convinced a hybrid petrol will be any more economical than a diesel though

No idea whether Hybrid would be more efficient. Tbh they don't appeal to us atm. Every time I see a Prius I think of Jeff Dunham and Achmed

No idea whether Hybrid would be more efficient. Tbh they don't appeal to us atm. Every time I see a Prius I think of Jeff Dunham and Achmed

That's just because the Prius is pug ugly. At least the Auris looks better!

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

The Prius would make perfect sense but the initial purchase price is too much however he's the choice of the two cars mentioned.

About 20k miles.
Assuming the company pays the fuel, mpg is a bit irrelevant.

Depends if the tax saving, out ways going from Mondeo class, to Focus class by the looks of it. The smaller one will probably be a bit more fun, but if you're trogging up and motorways, I'd want a bigger car like the Avensis.