Towing Vehicles in UK & EU

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by uncle_vanya, Mar 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Towing rules and regulations in the UK and EU. Is it correct that to tow another vehicle now, that traditional tow ropes are banned, and that the towing implement must be a rigid bar between the towing vehicle and the one being towed?
  2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

3. rope or bar tows are allowed but technically only for 'recovery' ...

use of a bar rather than rope may be a risk control measure employed by an organisation to reduce the risks that exist with rope towing ...
  4. Every country is different ,Its illegal to tow another car in Spain with a rope or a bar , they have to go on a truck / trailer, towing unmanned cars behind some campers is only allowed if the car is under 750kgs or else it has to be braked ,Ive seen some right contraptions that operate the brakes.
  5. Funnily enough this came up for me the other day when the gear linkage fell apart on the Peugeot 206 I've been using to commute. Was going to get the girlfriend to tow me home in the Land Rover but it turned out the tow rope was missing - still in the old Land Rover.

In the end my tame mechanic brought it back on a trailer but I looked into it afterwards and there is no legislation about towing on a rope other than maximum rope length is 4.5metres and ropes over 1.5m need a marker flag or something visible suspended on them to make them obvious to other road users.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Old seatbelts make good tow-ropes.

iirc you're only allowed to tow a vehicle off a motorway
  7. Towing on an "A" Frame may be legal in Spain the but the Police are now stopping people, fining them and making the people continue their journey with both vehicles being driven separately.
    The manufacturers of "A" frames will give you a translation into various languages saying that because "A" frames are legal in the UK that they are then legal in the rest of Euroland. If you give this to the Police they usually get even more pissed off, screw the bit of paper up and throw it at you.
    Germany has also banned the use of "A" frames as has Portugal. The French are supposed to have banned them. No doubt there will be tales of woe from visiting Brits returning from their hols this year
    There has been some talk that "A" frames will be banned in the UK from 2013/14. This si why the manufacturers have been playing around with various braking attachments.
  8. I did tow a Yamaha SR500 with a Guzzi Spada using a length of clothesline for about five miles. That was fun, until the tow broke.