towergate wilsons insurance

First time on this site folks and i am using it to give the head up about this insurance company. do not trust them and if you are a member check your policy. these guys are the modern day robbers, take your cash and give nothing back. i have had nothing but problems with them with regards to my soldiers so any CSM's out there that are thinking about using them SAY NO!!!

Sure there are 2 sides to this. I've been with them for 10 years without any problems at all - including a claim which went through without a hitch.

And they'll always match a "best quote" at renewal time :)

oldbaldy

LE
macjam said:
First time on this site folks and i am using it to give the head up about this insurance company. do not trust them and if you are a member check your policy. these guys are the modern day robbers, take your cash and give nothing back. i have had nothing but problems with them with regards to my soldiers so any CSM's out there that are thinking about using them SAY NO!!!
Your reason for saying this are.............................?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
So your soldiers' claims for their top of the range laptops which keep falling out of windows/down stairs etc got rejected?

Or did they not quite believe the story of a B&O 50" HD Plasma TV that one Pte had in the block fall off the wall... and tragically flatten his B&O sound system? Of course he has the receipts; they're in a box under his bed... hang on, who moved that box? Oh, and he threw the knackered kit in the bin last week before the loss adjuster arrived. Well, there was a room inspection wasn't there?

(Yes, I've actually heard these stories being discussed as 'possible money winners' in a bar)

I've been with them for over 15 years, had two "genuine" claims paid out in that time with no problems whatsoever - I found them particularly helpful.

If you make such allegations, you need to back them up with examples/facts.

Aha some debate then!!!
If you read the post corretly it said "with regards to my soldiers"!! If you have a policy in the UK for your house etc and you then take out a policy for your kit in Germany, towergate will only pay half and ask for half from the other company. Not fair and it is never brought up in the initial chat which i have now sat on as my junior soldiers rep. Also the "whats and therefores" on the policy are not explained properly especially the new for old sketch. this is not about making claims this is about fleecing young soldiers for money by saying "sign here".

macjam said:
Aha some debate then!!!
If you read the post corretly it said "with regards to my soldiers"!! If you have a policy in the UK for your house etc and you then take out a policy for your kit in Germany, towergate will only pay half and ask for half from the other company. Not fair and it is never brought up in the initial chat which i have now sat on as my junior soldiers rep. Also the "whats and therefores" on the policy are not explained properly especially the new for old sketch. this is not about making claims this is about fleecing young soldiers for money by saying "sign here".
You may not think it's unfair, but it's a standard practice in the UK insurance industry, and applies to many different types of policy where the policyholder has effectively insured the same thing more than once.

For example, you take out holiday insurance and subsequently make a baggage claim; the travel insurer pays out, but then asks the policyholder's contents insurer for a contribution because some or all of the items claimed for are covered by their policy too.

A policyholder cannot insure the same thing twice and then expect to be paid twice; nor should an insurer have to bear all the cost of a claim when the policyholder has paid a premium to someone else for the same risk.

The key thing is for those contemplating taking out a policy to make sure that what they buy is suitable for their needs; using the example above, say, taking out a travel policy without baggage cover because the belongings are already insured under the contents policy.

It pays to read the small print, and ask questions if anything isn't clear.

Any of your soldiers who have claimed and feel they have been unfairly treated should follow the company's complaint procedure; if not satisfied with the response, they can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service. I wouldn't hold out any hope of a complaint being upheld, however.

oldbaldy

LE
As ViroBono says, standard practice.
Plus, if I read correctly, all claims have been paid so what is the problem? Or were they hoping to claim again on a different policy? :roll:

I had a look at a Towergate policy wording at the weekend, and noted that the terms and conditions included a clause to the effect that if the policyholder held another policy which covered the same risk, they (the insurers) reserve the right to ask the other insurer for a contribution.

sorry for thread bump but this is the more recent on this company.

Recently i have had an issue with them. Not going to lie or mislead anyone on here so here it goes.

When i took out the policy i was told "All electrical items you take on exercise will be covered by us, you have nothing to worry about etc"

In response to that they said something along the lines of "When you take out the policy you get 6 months electrical coverage and then after that you have to specify what items to be covered"

This was never laid down to me and now i find myself uninsured for certain items which have been broken/lost.

I have never claimed for anything and maybe this is my downfall or perhaps i should not have been so naive to believe the sales rep who sold me the cover.

Any advice anyone could offer?

Thanks

The_Duke

LE
TheYoungOne said:
sorry for thread bump but this is the more recent on this company.

Recently i have had an issue with them. Not going to lie or mislead anyone on here so here it goes.

When i took out the policy i was told "All electrical items you take on exercise will be covered by us, you have nothing to worry about etc"

In response to that they said something along the lines of "When you take out the policy you get 6 months electrical coverage and then after that you have to specify what items to be covered"

This was never laid down to me and now i find myself uninsured for certain items which have been broken/lost.

I have never claimed for anything and maybe this is my downfall or perhaps i should not have been so naive to believe the sales rep who sold me the cover.

Any advice anyone could offer?

Thanks
Yes.

In future, read the insurance policy which you will be given/sent/download from the internet.

This will specify exactly what is covered, not covered, and any terms which may apply.

There is little scope for interpretation, as the policy defines the terms. What you think it means, what you think it should mean or what your mate told you is totally irrelevant. If you feel that you have been mis-sold your policy then you should formally complain to the insurer, giving details of when you were sold the policy, and why you believe you were mis-sold. You will need to give details - when, where, who, what exactly was said etc.

Give the insurer the chance to review it, and then if you are still unhappy you can refer it to the FOS.

Bottom line is that if the policy clearly states what is covered/not covered, and you failed to read it, you must take some responsibility for your own inaction. Current practice is for a minimum 15 day "cooling off" period during which you can cancel the policy and get a no questions asked full refund if you are not happy with it, or if it is not suitable. Make sure you use the time to read the policy rather than just ignoring it and finding out the hard way that it does not cover what you think it does.

I've been with towergate willson for nearly three years now, and the first time I tried to make a claim recently for stolen items i got refused even though I adhered to everything that they requested from me, regardless of this it was not so much this that actually bothered me, it is the fact that the manager was extremely snotty towards me and tried to tell me that she knew more about my job than me i.e. I advised her that when a company says they will call back at a specific time and they do not follow this through we being soldiers who are strictly bound by timings was not acceptable from their part, she informed me that soldiers are not bound by timings, how unprofessional from a managerial role.

On top of that she tried comparing the fact that her brother had a disability with my own, does this sound like a professional company?

To be honest company’s like this forgets that if it wasn't for us as the paying customer they would not exist.

I am extremely disanointed but I was warned at the beginning of taking the policy out by other soldiers that these are rip off merchants.

An RMP informed me that Abacus is the way forward…let’s hope they have better interpersonal skills.

Of course theyre robbing bastards. Theyre insurance companies ! Just make sure you slap in a big claim every couple of years to ease the pain and its all good. I would like to take this moment to thank Abacus one replacing my Tissot T-Touch II watch that i "lost", easy bastards.

T

Tremaine

Of course theyre robbing bastards. Theyre insurance companies ! Just make sure you slap in a big claim every couple of years to ease the pain and its all good. I would like to take this moment to thank Abacus one replacing my Tissot T-Touch II watch that i "lost", easy bastards.
No idea what Towergate Wilsons are like these days, but the calibre and cut of insurance people has admittedly gone far downhill since my dealings with them in early 1990s. Greed factor and cnut factor on the redline these days. Whilst premiums and costs have gone distinctly the other way. FYI during 1992 Abacus had the honour of being the dodgiest bunch of tossers ever to write a policy.

Wilsons, and IFAS Bunde 1990s

Being serious, just for once. I suspected that Towergate Wilsons were in fact the old Wilsons, the Officer insurers of the eighties and nineties. Not fond of that other lot mentioned above, for reasons best not discussed. Not confined to insuring wooperts, they also gave a courteous and reliable service to OR's, with the same level of ethical duty. Also had a feckin good Global Kit policy, though no Brokerage could whack (the best) Pax insurance, we all knew that. The way insurance and claims should be handled IMHO, claims were handled pretty well IIRC apart from the storm damages of 87/88? when they were overwhelmed with claims. Later to become Wilsons Hogg Robinson, last I heard Wilsons were "disposed" (not a derogatory term) to Towergate with their Quotemaster scheme. Anyone in Bunde early nineties might have met/known IFAS MIke, an Ex Wilsons man and a decent chap, as were all the Wilsons guys I knew and worked with. They'd come out and spend time with any of us, for little more than a cup of tea, and the odd small new policy write up, not much reward.

Nothing wrong with Wilsons in those days, and Insurance Brokerages can't guarantee every single rep's a good 'un. Companies can't always over ride the terms of insurance policies, the best advice has been given. Get the right policy, read the policy and understand it. The reason insurance terms and underwriting "harden", are partly due to scams...

I have just had a recent unpleasant spat with these.
The kit insurance policy I had contradicted itself with regard to kit personally signed to me and kit held in a store.
They have used it to worm out of the claim.

I've sent all relavent ownership paperwork and had my Quarter Master write a statement to say it was under my command and it's on UNICOM under my name.
No good.

Oh well it’s their loss. I am in a posting that deals with the Phase Zero recruits who are encouraged to get kit insurance.
I will be advising them to think very carefully and read the fine print with Towergate and encourage other companies out there.

T

Tremaine

Cover includes up to the sum insured, on service uniforms, kit and equipment owned by you or on permanent issue? Terms and clauses again mate. I have a military type insurer that covers me even as a retired/ex-serviceman. They got two or three calls a week from me at first, so I knew where I stood.

Latest Threads