towergate wilsons insurance

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by macjam, May 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First time on this site folks and i am using it to give the head up about this insurance company. do not trust them and if you are a member check your policy. these guys are the modern day robbers, take your cash and give nothing back. i have had nothing but problems with them with regards to my soldiers so any CSM's out there that are thinking about using them SAY NO!!!
  2. Sure there are 2 sides to this. I've been with them for 10 years without any problems at all - including a claim which went through without a hitch.

And they'll always match a "best quote" at renewal time :)
  3. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Never had a problem with then in 7 years.
  4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Your reason for saying this are.............................?
  5. Never had a problem with them myself. Had 1 claim i needed to put through and had no problems with it.
  6. So your soldiers' claims for their top of the range laptops which keep falling out of windows/down stairs etc got rejected?

Or did they not quite believe the story of a B&O 50" HD Plasma TV that one Pte had in the block fall off the wall... and tragically flatten his B&O sound system? Of course he has the receipts; they're in a box under his bed... hang on, who moved that box? Oh, and he threw the knackered kit in the bin last week before the loss adjuster arrived. Well, there was a room inspection wasn't there?

(Yes, I've actually heard these stories being discussed as 'possible money winners' in a bar)
  7. I've been with them for over 15 years, had two "genuine" claims paid out in that time with no problems whatsoever - I found them particularly helpful.

If you make such allegations, you need to back them up with examples/facts.
  8. Aha some debate then!!!
    If you read the post corretly it said "with regards to my soldiers"!! If you have a policy in the UK for your house etc and you then take out a policy for your kit in Germany, towergate will only pay half and ask for half from the other company. Not fair and it is never brought up in the initial chat which i have now sat on as my junior soldiers rep. Also the "whats and therefores" on the policy are not explained properly especially the new for old sketch. this is not about making claims this is about fleecing young soldiers for money by saying "sign here".
  9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

You may not think it's unfair, but it's a standard practice in the UK insurance industry, and applies to many different types of policy where the policyholder has effectively insured the same thing more than once.

For example, you take out holiday insurance and subsequently make a baggage claim; the travel insurer pays out, but then asks the policyholder's contents insurer for a contribution because some or all of the items claimed for are covered by their policy too.

A policyholder cannot insure the same thing twice and then expect to be paid twice; nor should an insurer have to bear all the cost of a claim when the policyholder has paid a premium to someone else for the same risk.

The key thing is for those contemplating taking out a policy to make sure that what they buy is suitable for their needs; using the example above, say, taking out a travel policy without baggage cover because the belongings are already insured under the contents policy.

It pays to read the small print, and ask questions if anything isn't clear.

Any of your soldiers who have claimed and feel they have been unfairly treated should follow the company's complaint procedure; if not satisfied with the response, they can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service. I wouldn't hold out any hope of a complaint being upheld, however.
  10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

As ViroBono says, standard practice.
    Plus, if I read correctly, all claims have been paid so what is the problem? Or were they hoping to claim again on a different policy? :roll:
  11. Used them for 15 years, two claims, no fuss.

12. I've held Kit Insurance with them for donkey's; two claims and no problems.

13. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I had a look at a Towergate policy wording at the weekend, and noted that the terms and conditions included a clause to the effect that if the policyholder held another policy which covered the same risk, they (the insurers) reserve the right to ask the other insurer for a contribution.
  14. sorry for thread bump but this is the more recent on this company.

Recently i have had an issue with them. Not going to lie or mislead anyone on here so here it goes.

When i took out the policy i was told "All electrical items you take on exercise will be covered by us, you have nothing to worry about etc"

In response to that they said something along the lines of "When you take out the policy you get 6 months electrical coverage and then after that you have to specify what items to be covered"

This was never laid down to me and now i find myself uninsured for certain items which have been broken/lost.

I have never claimed for anything and maybe this is my downfall or perhaps i should not have been so naive to believe the sales rep who sold me the cover.

Any advice anyone could offer?

15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

In future, read the insurance policy which you will be given/sent/download from the internet.

This will specify exactly what is covered, not covered, and any terms which may apply.

There is little scope for interpretation, as the policy defines the terms. What you think it means, what you think it should mean or what your mate told you is totally irrelevant. If you feel that you have been mis-sold your policy then you should formally complain to the insurer, giving details of when you were sold the policy, and why you believe you were mis-sold. You will need to give details - when, where, who, what exactly was said etc.

Give the insurer the chance to review it, and then if you are still unhappy you can refer it to the FOS.

Bottom line is that if the policy clearly states what is covered/not covered, and you failed to read it, you must take some responsibility for your own inaction. Current practice is for a minimum 15 day "cooling off" period during which you can cancel the policy and get a no questions asked full refund if you are not happy with it, or if it is not suitable. Make sure you use the time to read the policy rather than just ignoring it and finding out the hard way that it does not cover what you think it does.