Tower of London

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ancient, Aug 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm told that I and my family can get in to the Tower on a visit for free on production of my MOD90. Is this true? I would call them but they're closed and I'm trying to plan for tomorrow morning and save the £20 per ticket.

2. Use the search and I think the answer is no.

3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Being a former member of the HAC, I can basically do anything I want in the City of London except punch the Queen. Before that though, I did once try to blag my way in on production of my RN ID. The bird at the ticket desk didn't have a clue what I was on about so I asked a Beefeater who happened to be stood nearby.

The official line is no, but if you get the right Yeoman Warder he'll turn his back while you and your family walk in, if you know what I mean.

;)

4. Unless of course you are a commissioned officer or ex of the RRF then you can call in and see yer mates at the RRF Fusilier RHQ (may apply now to Queens/PWRR etc) as they now have co located.

5. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

leave it till Sunday morning an tell them that you are going to mass then you can wander around afterwards .

6. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

talking of which , i pop into the tower once or twice a year with two reprobates to view the ceremony of the Keys hosted by the Fusileers. The old boy taking us over to te area ALWAYS says that this has not never ever been filmed. When its pointed out to him it is on Google he says that's only practice runs. He nearly had a corona one year when someone took a photo. ( I don't think he has noticed any of the cameras phones though )
    So why cant it be filmed ?
    why cant you take photos ?
    is it a state secret then?

7. It was a while ago now but I got in with some of my family by showing my regimental association membership card. I said that I wanted to visit RHQ and was waved through the queue.

8. I can't give a definitive answer to that but I suspect it is not unrelated to the ban that was, and likely still is, imposed by the Yeoman Warders on video recording of their daytime guiding.

They, understandably, are quite protective of their well-honed and individualistic 'spiels' and used to tend to voice their extreme displeasure at those caught filming them. Of course now that video cameras are no longer the size of house bricks, they are much harder to spot in action.

I believe that the well distributed video on Youtube of the Warder guiding was taken covertly.

Although the Tower allows Blue Badge qualified London guides to guide in the Tower in addition to the Warders, they don't take kindly to anyone else guiding groups around the Tower and make that displeasure known to the 'pirate' guides !

9. Mass.... MASS? Things must have changed. There was a time when the Tower was the venue for the cruel punishment of such popish scum. Now it seems that it is the venue for the celebration of their vile practices. Unless of course it's High Church Anglican... and they're another collection of genuflecting, dolly-worshipping idolaters who need to be publicly hung, drawn and quartered, as well.

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I tried it at the weekend. The girl on the ticket desk said "No". I showed the MOD90 discreetly to the Yeoman Warder who gave a quick look left and right and we walked straight through. And it was excellent. I mean really excellent. A fantastic day out. Even the wife liked it and she's not a history buff.

11. Just turn up wearing your uniform. Wear a metal neck brace though so no one can lob your head off on the way there.

12. I got a discount in January but was not free.

13. I went to Windsor Castle last week, I asked if I could get a discount with my MOD90 and was told yes as well as being allowed to host up to five others, saved me £50 (me and my grandparents). The girl on the desk also said that the complimentary armed forces tickets worked for all royal palaces (holyrood, buck house etc).

Edited to add:

I've just looked on the monarchy website and the Tower is listed as an unused royal residence, therefore it should also be free. I'm gutted as I paid to visit a few months ago and seen feck all due to the huge volume of foreign tourists and the speed of the conveyer belt past the crown jewels!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)