Tours

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by UKChrisT, Jun 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How long do the TA normally like you to of passed all your basic before sending you onto tour's? One of my main reasons of joining was to do a tour and I know i'm not ready at the mo but would really like to do a tour as soon as I can. Do your unit select the best soliders to send onto tour's or can you just stick your name down and away you go...? what is the process like leading upto tours? what is the pre deployment training like? sorry if I seem abit of a mong with some of the questions but just wanted to know a bit more regarding tours and the process the TA goes through.

2. msr

msr LE

Speak to your PSI.

msr

3. Yes, speak to your PSI. If there is a vacancy for your particular trade then you could get out there very quickly (assuming are qualified). I believe one of our guys went within a few weeks of finishing his recruit training.

4. I'm getting out to Afghan in about 4 months, if all goes to plan. I've been in just over a year now.

5. Oh....Haven't they told you yet?

6. No... :eek:

Check PMs please.

7. I'd been in the TA for about 5 years. (101 Regt R.A. (V))
    Got the brown envelop which give me a months notice for the deployment (Telic 5) That came out of the blue and none of us were expecting it.
    Did the medical & dental checks then, we did about 2 months pre-deployment training.
    Once the pre-deployment training was done, we were all split up and sent off to the various units.
    At the Reg unit we did another months pre-deployment training and then had 5 days leave.
    After that leave we deployed. Once the tour was done it was a case of de-kit and straight onto leave (about a month), followed by a return back to our 'civvi' jobs.

Hope that helps a bit.

8. My regt (Royal Yeomanry) has introduced a rule that any deployees must have 2 years post CMSR experience before deploying. However, I believe that is a regimental policy and not an Army-wide one.

9. I too joined predominently to tour. I have not really pushed the issue with my PSI as I want to complete training (due CMSR in a few weeks)before gobbing off, however as this is my second time around in the TA, i'll be off if I don't get to go for 2 years like the above.

10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Maximillian,

If you're in an Infantry unit then the chances are you can be whisked off straight after training. Two lads from my Pln were mobilised (and went on to have great tours with plenty of action) about a month after completing CIC.

11. Funny how often a joke turns out to be true. I can't go this year, and I'm fcuking gutted. I'll be out somewhere else hot and sunny, but not as dangerous. I feel like a right war-dodging cnut :(

Best of luck those that are going, and take care.

12. We had one of our guys with us in Iraq and he'd only just done his CIC and one weekend before he got his voluntery mobilisation.

The process runs like this:

1) 2 weeks training at RTMC chillwell (focus is on MATT training, pay and documentation and medicals/dentals).
    2) Attatch to the unit you are deploying with and begin OPTAG training followed by further unit organised build-up training (could end up being as long as 2 months).
    3) Deploy with your unit to theatre for a 4-6month duration (2 weeks R+R given during a 6 month tour).
    4) Finish your tour and return with the unit you deployed with.
    5) Move back to Chilwell and de-mobilise (De-kit etc).
    6) Back to your unit for tea and medals (Might have to wait a while for your medal).

This is from an infantry capbadge viewpoint, other units may vary.

Hope this helps.

Before you deploy check this out as it will help: LINK

13. I'm going to break this down for you, mate:

How long do the TA normally like you to of passed all your basic before sending you onto tour's?
    They don't care; you can be in 5 minutes or 20 years, all they need is numbers
    Do your unit select the best soliders to send onto tour's or can you just stick your name down and away you go...?
    You're having a laugh - it's a numbers game, as stated previously. The spastics that get deployed are unreal. Good folk do get deployed too, though, so it's not all bad.
    what is the process like leading upto tours? what is the pre deployment training like?
    Depends on the unit; some will insist on putting you through the 2 week Chilwell package and then a further OPTAG package, some willl take "at risk" after a brief spell at Chilwell and train soldiers up to the required level for the job. Predeployment training can be up to 5 months long.

One point to note, don't rush into doing a tour. Spend time learning the job, and learning to do it well; whether you're a bod in a rifle coy or a chef in a kitchen; the more experience you gain, the more use you are to your receiving unit. IMO, sending guys after a two week CIC/trade course is pointless, they have a massive learning curve to overcome which becomes very apparent very quickly.

Hope this helps.

14. I was in for just over a year before i was mobilised. Its the third tour i volunteered for aswell. A lad from my unit passed his CIC and within one month was told he was being mobilised, however it was only for OP TOSSER so in my eyes it doesnt really matter how long you have been in for.

15. I haven't been to the dentist since I was about 18, but never had any problems, my teeth are perfectly straight and white and I've never had any pain, so never saw the point, and every medical I've ever had goes something along the lines of "good your teeth are fine".

So if I had an undescovered cavity for example, would that get me binned? if s I'll go and have a check up now, but don't particulary want to pay someone too say "good your teeth are fine".