tours as "infantry"

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by two_of_seven, Dec 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am interested to know:

RA & RE units do "tours as infantry" in NI Iraq etc,
    Do other units such as sigs and tankies do the same ?

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

RAC - NI yes.

3. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

RA and RLC in Cyprus on the Green Line. RLC Pioneers have had people attached to infantry units in Afghanistan.

4. if you want to do 'tours as infantry' why dont you join inf? if you want to do 'tours as a tankie' join rac, if you want to do 'tours as a signaller' join Rsigs....makes sense?!

5. Whilst it's not an 'infantry' tour in the traditional sense of the word, Signals units have been deploying purely as PROFOR. I do realise that you probably mean infantry tour in the sense of kicking down doors and dropping mortars on people, in which case I'll get back in my box.

6. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

The shortage of military troops is not a new thing. If other arms were not used for these tours our grunt brothers would never have had time off for a beer.

7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Bollocks

8. I remember reading that 7 or so AAC lads were serving in a Scottish Regiment as riflemen last year.....there was a brief thread on it in the Aviation section and was followed by one of the better papers, including video diaries.

Links anyone, I can't be arrsed searching :)

9. Its true that most capbadges may be involved as individuals in this role, to my knowledge only the Cav/RTR and gunners actually deploy as a unit in this capacity.

10. If only it was that simple!!

RAC units are deployed out of role on Telic, with Snatch, Wimmiks, Bulldog, Masstif etc. doing the same job as Infantry in a lot of cases. no choice in the matter.

Shortage of Inf Battalions, powers that be unwilling to put tracks on the streets, and many other reasons.

11. RE squadrons deployed in the infantry role in Northern Ireland many times, the last occasion I am aware of being about 1997.

12. point taken,

13. No such as an NI tour anymore as far as I am aware...

14. RA are less and less being used in the "Infantry" role as we have lots of lovely toys to play with now

As stated NI isn't a tour any more

15. But where they not deployed in less hard line areas, such as Bessbrook?
    This is not a dig at non infantry by any means.I am fully aware of Steven Restorick and what regiment he was in.