tours as "infantry"

Bowmore_Assassin

MIA
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#3
RA and RLC in Cyprus on the Green Line. RLC Pioneers have had people attached to infantry units in Afghanistan.
 
#4
two_of_seven said:
I am interested to know:

RA & RE units do "tours as infantry" in NI Iraq etc,
Do other units such as sigs and tankies do the same ?
if you want to do 'tours as infantry' why dont you join inf? if you want to do 'tours as a tankie' join rac, if you want to do 'tours as a signaller' join Rsigs....makes sense?!
 
#5
Whilst it's not an 'infantry' tour in the traditional sense of the word, Signals units have been deploying purely as PROFOR. I do realise that you probably mean infantry tour in the sense of kicking down doors and dropping mortars on people, in which case I'll get back in my box.
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#6
Suedehead said:
two_of_seven said:
I am interested to know:

RA & RE units do "tours as infantry" in NI Iraq etc,
Do other units such as sigs and tankies do the same ?
if you want to do 'tours as infantry' why dont you join inf? if you want to do 'tours as a tankie' join rac, if you want to do 'tours as a signaller' join Rsigs....makes sense?!
The shortage of military troops is not a new thing. If other arms were not used for these tours our grunt brothers would never have had time off for a beer.
 
#8
I remember reading that 7 or so AAC lads were serving in a Scottish Regiment as riflemen last year.....there was a brief thread on it in the Aviation section and was followed by one of the better papers, including video diaries.

Links anyone, I can't be arrsed searching :)
 
#9
Its true that most capbadges may be involved as individuals in this role, to my knowledge only the Cav/RTR and gunners actually deploy as a unit in this capacity.
 
#10
Suedehead said:
two_of_seven said:
I am interested to know:

RA & RE units do "tours as infantry" in NI Iraq etc,
Do other units such as sigs and tankies do the same ?
if you want to do 'tours as infantry' why dont you join inf? if you want to do 'tours as a tankie' join rac, if you want to do 'tours as a signaller' join Rsigs....makes sense?!
If only it was that simple!!

RAC units are deployed out of role on Telic, with Snatch, Wimmiks, Bulldog, Masstif etc. doing the same job as Infantry in a lot of cases. no choice in the matter.


Shortage of Inf Battalions, powers that be unwilling to put tracks on the streets, and many other reasons.
 
#11
T.F.R said:
Its true that most capbadges may be involved as individuals in this role, to my knowledge only the Cav/RTR and gunners actually deploy as a unit in this capacity.
RE squadrons deployed in the infantry role in Northern Ireland many times, the last occasion I am aware of being about 1997.
 
#12
MotorMan said:
T.F.R said:
Its true that most capbadges may be involved as individuals in this role, to my knowledge only the Cav/RTR and gunners actually deploy as a unit in this capacity.
RE squadrons deployed in the infantry role in Northern Ireland many times, the last occasion I am aware of being about 1997.
point taken,
 
#13
No such as an NI tour anymore as far as I am aware...
 
#14
RA are less and less being used in the "Infantry" role as we have lots of lovely toys to play with now

As stated NI isn't a tour any more
 
#15
MotorMan said:
T.F.R said:
Its true that most capbadges may be involved as individuals in this role, to my knowledge only the Cav/RTR and gunners actually deploy as a unit in this capacity.
RE squadrons deployed in the infantry role in Northern Ireland many times, the last occasion I am aware of being about 1997.
But where they not deployed in less hard line areas, such as Bessbrook?
This is not a dig at non infantry by any means.I am fully aware of Steven Restorick and what regiment he was in.
 
#16
Rudie said:
But where they not deployed in less hard line areas,
Not true - unfortunatly, although amongst other loc's Bessbrook was a nicer option for some of the luckier ones.
 
#17
Did a non infantry sqn/coy ever deploy to any of the sf bases in South Amargh?I.e,Crossmaglen,Forkhill,etc.
Again,this not meant as a dig.I was search trained and went on some major ops with the Engineers,I have nothing but respect for them and all other cap badges who have ever deployed on operations.
 
#19
Well there you go. To be honest,It didn't really matter what part of the Province you got deployed,some of the worst atrocities commited happned in areas that were considered safer.
 
#20
Rudie said:
Did a non infantry sqn/coy ever deploy to any of the sf bases in South Amargh?I.e,Crossmaglen,Forkhill,etc.
Again,this not meant as a dig.I was search trained and went on some major ops with the Engineers,I have nothing but respect for them and all other cap badges who have ever deployed on operations.
The last squaddie to be killed by the IRA was a gunner in South Armagh, Lance-Bombardier Stephen Restorick. I believe that the first killed in NI was a gunner as well
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads