Tourniquets integrated into clothing.

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Cutaway, Apr 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I've had a brief look through the forum but cannot see it being brought up before.

Excepting the price, at first glance it seems sensible, although a hi-viz tab indicating where a tourniquet has been applied might be an idea.
    Your professional opinions please.

Integrated Tourniquet System.
  2. Most blast injuries Ive seen had the clothing along with the limb blown away. Even GSWs can do a lot of damage to the clothing, as they sucked into the wound in some cases.
  3. It's a 'pants' idea...
  4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Yeah this was my first thought but I wondered if the GSW issue would be a loading factor.

I must admit that I'd looked at the shirt first, and most of the upper limb GSWs with which I've first hand ( 8O ) experience have been with troops wearing short sleeves.

On sober reflection carrying a couple of CATs makes more sense, both practically and economicially, and the time sacrificed in fitting them would in general be of lesser importance.
  5. Shouldn't the question be why not? barring obvious contraindications and surgeons moaning about unneccessary use/ too tight/to loose. surely its a tool that .....could be used....................
  6. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Isn't it amazing what an idiot can invent when left alone?

I bet they offer bullet proof sunglasses as well as Nomex boxer shorts in case your tactical Zippo takes a direct hit.
  7. Hmm, gotta agree with maninblack, its obvious that whoever thought of this has never served in any medical capacity in an operational theatre. Oh well perhaps the guy who invented this waste of time could invent an automatic shrapnel extractor aswell??
  8. Perfect for the gent who likes to get (body parts) blown off.

I can see the airsoft walts going ape sh1t over this 'gucci' bit of kit now, especially as it comes in ACU pattern!
  9. The Cpl who trained us in CAT use stressed several times that it should be placed as close to the wound as possible to preserve viable tissue.

The phrase I remember is that the quack will start sawing immediately below the CAT even if the limb wasn't too badly damaged due to the effects of blood starvation in the veins etc.

He did also have a couple of the more niaive Gunners going with the application protocals for head-wounds though......