Tourism plan for Afghan mountains

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Feb 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tourism plan for Afghan mountains

By Christopher Sleight
    BBC Scotland news website

Chris Philipson made the first ascent of a peak in Afghanistan in 2009

In Pictures: Climbing in Afghanistan
    A Scottish company is promoting Afghanistan as a tourist destination.
    Dundee-based Mountain Unity was set up to provide information to mountaineers and trekkers who want to visit the north-east of the country.
    Mountain Unity's David James, a former soldier, said the area known as the Wakhan Corridor was widely regarded as the safest part of the country.
    The mountains of Afghanistan were popular with many climbers until the Soviets invaded in 1979.
    Mr James, 37, who completed two tours in Afghanistan with the British Army, said he had started Mountain Unity as a social enterprise, with all profits ploughed back into the Wakhan.
    He told the BBC Scotland news website that the area had always been peaceful - even during the Soviet invasion and recent conflict with the Taliban.
    More
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8528678.stm?

2. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

As daft as it sounds this type of activity is what will bring Afghanistan out of the middle ages, old fashioned capitalisim tends to have a stablising affect and people get used to colour tellies, fridge freezers and air conditioning

3. There exists special type 'tourism' in Netherlands. Then I visited Amsterdam then likely I saw a lot of tourists in local 'cafe-shops'.

So, if Afghanistan would allow light drugs to be freely used and encourage this sort of tourism in relatively safe parts of the country then who could blame the Afghans?

4. Shortly after the invasion, we stopped a holidaying British couple at a VCP in Kabul. Takes all sorts!

5. i went climbing there but not for the same reasons :)

6. I trecked in the Hindu Kush in 1977, went up to Bamian to see the Budhas,looked at the Russians across the Oxsus, had a great time in a very beutifull, wild place

7. Frankly, it could be a stunning location for an outdoor holiday, if it wasn't for the Taliban, IED's and vast quatities of mines and UXO's...........

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Wasn't it a popular part of the 'Hippy Trail' from the late 1960's through to the late 1970's? I'm guessing anywhere with a relaxed attitude to Hash would have been.

Edited to add that I just googled "Hippy Trail Afghanistan" and got this: Images From The Hippie Trail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is from 1969, note the Ike Jacket:

[​IMG]

9. Fancy a spot of shooting, anyone? Or perhaps that should be - Fancy a spot of shooting anyone, anyone?

10. The 17/21st and the 16/5th Lancers both drove Landys through Afghanistan in the 70s on the way to Nepal, Thats the reason I went back a year later, I realy loved the place it was IMHO better than the Kumbu as there were fewer westerners about , and I had read James Mitchner's book Caravans