Tourettes - a bar to joining?

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Please note, i have put this in the Naafi bar as its not really a serious query... The Arrse hole might be more appropriate actually!

An amusing video on Facebook the other day of a kid with tourettes reading the nursery rhyme "Three blind bastards - mice" etc made me think - if you have tourettes, can you still join? Other speech impediments can, such as lisps (I want to join the ETH.A.ETH), etc, and tourettes sufferers are still physically capable, but there could be complications...

"Battalion! Battalion, SHUN!"
"Fcuk off"
"WHO SAID THAT?"
"Smelly wnak bastard"
and so on

Now, i know nothing about tourettes other than its comedic value, and can appreciate how dibilitating it can be to the sufferer, but the idea of the above made me giggle like a child :)

It's a required skill for promotion to sergeant-major. I can't imagine the SSM saying to the pissed-up weekend miscreants on a Monday morning "Do come in chaps, and let's talk this through".

ugly

LE
I worked with one over in East Anglia, the office was supposed to warn me but thought it would be funny not to. He was quite mild whilst medicated and would be limited to tics and funny noises. After an hour of tolerating this the team leader came up and apologised explaining. I told him not to worry, I had been in the army after all!
Mind you he was arrested a few times forgetting his medication could make him a social hand grenade!

I worked with one over in East Anglia, the office was supposed to warn me but thought it would be funny not to. He was quite mild whilst medicated and would be limited to tics and funny noises. After an hour of tolerating this the team leader came up and apologised explaining. I told him not to worry, I had been in the army after all!
Mind you he was arrested a few times forgetting his medication could make him a social hand grenade!
Fuck. That cunt sounds just like me the fucking little fucker.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Im not sure they would be able to hide all that well in the field, I imagine a bush yelling "Fcuk Off" would give away his position.

unless Moses thought God was angry
You can imagine the orders for an ambush.
"On the command, Ambush set, Private Smith, you are to gag Private Jones"

Thats a really good question. Never thought about it before. Not that I have any say in the selection process, any input into policy making or and input into the medical standards.

That being said, is Tourettes not a form of 'disability? If it is, surely that would put the kybosh on joining. I mean, Asbergers and Autism are pretty much frowned upon (less Int Corps, of course where it must be mandatory). Can you imagine a signaller with Tourettes? That would be hilarious*. I am happy to be told differently by someone with more knowledge in these things.

*No offence intended, but it would

An old friend from school claimed to have suffered from a very mild case of Tourettes. No uncontrolled outbursts, just the odd tic / fidget now and again, joined up at 18 and has been in ever since.