Tour with the AAC

Joesope

Swinger
Hi all

I'm aware that as a commissioned officer for a minimum of two years you can opt to perform a tour with the AAC as a pilot. I'm wondering how easy this is? Does your own regiment have to agree and can they stop you all together if they don't want you to leave for a tour? And if so how likely is it that your regiment would let you do this after only 2 years of commissioned service? Cheers for any info.

I'm speaking from the rules many years ago when I applied - I was not a officer.

I asked the Chief Clerk when he typed out the application whether it would be blocked by the CO and he replied there were two applications that were not able to be blocked. They were applications for pilot and SAS.

Ir was a while ago though.

It happens, read AGAI 43 (43.084). You can get advice informal 'expression of interest' advice from SO3 Pers Recruiting HQ AAC

Annex J has to be signed by your CO along with various tick boxes and a pen picture. There is also a section to be completed by your CM Branch.

If accepted you will be required to transfer on completion of CTT and there is a 6 year return of service on completion of CTT.

Joesope

Swinger
That was my original plan but I failed the medical due to eye sight, I've since had laser eye surgery and have been told by the medical officer I can reapply at age 22. I'm only 19 at the moment and hoping for the January intake so you can see my predicament.

Last edited:

Joesope

Swinger
It happens, read AGAI 43 (43.084). You can get advice informal 'expression of interest' advice from SO3 Pers Recruiting HQ AAC

Annex J has to be signed by your CO along with various tick boxes and a pen picture. There is also a section to be completed by your CM Branch.

If accepted you will be required to transfer on completion of CTT and there is a 6 year return of service on completion of CTT.
What is CTT and are you saying although it's not common you can go after only 2 years with a regiment?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Joesope

Swinger
Well cheers for all the info, There may be some hope for me yet! that is if I don't severely cock up main board come august. At least it sounds like trying to get onto the pilots course later down the line after a few years service is not some big betrayal to your regiment!

Joesope

Swinger
Also to my understanding then once you have completed CTT you are then committed to 6 years before being returned to your previous regiment?

Joesope

Swinger
Ahh I thought as an Officer you could opt not to permanently transfer during your tour with the AAC? Sorry for being so clueless aha buthe how long does one of these tours last?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Serious question here, is this a recent change? I distinctly recall all manner of cap badges functioning as Drivers, Rotary Airframe, back in the day and a lot just did one flying tour before RTU. In fact, isn't there a Royal Prince who did a tour on AH-64 as a Blues and Royals officer and went back there after his tour?

Joesope

Swinger
Serious question here, is this a recent change? I distinctly recall all manner of cap badges functioning as Drivers, Rotary Airframe, back in the day and a lot just did one flying tour before RTU. In fact, isn't there a Royal Prince who did a tour on AH-64 as a Blues and Royals officer and went back there after his tour?
That is what I was getting at as well, I always thought you could just do a single tour then go back to your old unit

Latest Threads