Tour Impact On Civi Career

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I’m looking to hear about people’s experiences of going on tour and it’s impact on Civi job.

My story is that I joined the regulars in 2011 and passed out the same year in an infantry cap badge that likes big hats and stamping feet.

By the time I got to the battalion they had finished their last tour and spent the rest of my career on ceremonial duties. I left at my 4 year point as I couldn’t stand how people were treated or the thought of another year of ceremonial.
After I got out I joined the reserves pretty much just for the ex reg bonus but have ended up enjoying soldiering on my own terms.
Recently the opportunity to go on Op Toral came up and I put my name forward with the thinking being that I would always look back with regret that I had never deployed if i didn’t go for it (even if all I end up doing is stagging on).
Platoon commander has recently let me know that he thinks this is a bad idea and that the year the tour would cost would be better spent on my Civi career and with my family (1st kid was born a month ago).

Civi job is the definition of a 9-5, pays the bills, boss is decent but no other reserves in the company.

I just want to hear what impact deploying has had on people’s career and to hear any thoughts or advice people might have.

Cheers in advance
Bushy
Why did you not transfer in thd regs?
Do you think it is OK to take the money and not deploy in the AR?
Just asking?

I think, that it’s fairly mandatory for women to have children. As a species, we could suffer if we put it on hold.

It may be voluntary but I think it’s also essential.
So is killing people

Bob65

Old-Salt
I think, that it’s fairly mandatory for women to have children. As a species, we could suffer if we put it on hold.

It may be voluntary but I think it’s also essential.
True, but it’s also true that birth rates are much higher in countries without lavish maternity leave rights! So that’s an argument against it!

Back on topic: the MoD seems to genuinely believe that civvy employers highly value reservists, even more than normal employees. It’s never been true as far as I can see; at best indifference, mostly reluctant or grudging acceptance, sometimes outright hostility. I wonder where they got this belief from. Definitely not from actual reservists.

Last edited:

oppoStu

War Hero
Employers can claim the extra costs of a temp replacement eg recruiting, extra salary costs of agency staff etc.
Which puts it on par with ladies going on maternity leave, the amount a company can claim from the government for the mother surpasses the minimum amount of SMP resulting in a small profit to the company from an idle employee.

Not all doom and gloom ey

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
True, but it’s also true that birth rates are much higher in countries without lavish maternity leave rights! So that’s an argument against it!
It's possible that the absence of maternity leave rights may not be the only factor affecting the higher birth rates.

There might be a bit of confusion here about mobilisation, it is always 'compulsory' and comes with full employment and income protection (and the employer has a right of appeal), in the current climate it is also 'smart' and you are expected to want to go in the first place, square away your employer and family to minimise the prospect of an employer appeal or a welfare crisis.

My sense is that the (mostly) highly supportive attitude of many employers towards their reservists deploying on ops is now over.

The best course of action is to speak to your employer early, get him / her onside with the prospect of you being away for a year. There is a lot of support available through the CoC with 'employer engagement' that might convince your employer to support you on the basis of civic duty and your personal development.

if your employer is against, you can still mobilise. Your employer may appeal and if the appeal is not successful you will go and they will be annoyed. When you come back you will need to pick up the pieces or look for another job in order to progress.

In summary, it all depends on your relationship with your employer as to whether this will be career enhancing or not.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I’m looking to hear about people’s experiences of going on tour and it’s impact on Civi job.

My story is that I joined the regulars in 2011 and passed out the same year in an infantry cap badge that likes big hats and stamping feet.

By the time I got to the battalion they had finished their last tour and spent the rest of my career on ceremonial duties. I left at my 4 year point as I couldn’t stand how people were treated or the thought of another year of ceremonial.
After I got out I joined the reserves pretty much just for the ex reg bonus but have ended up enjoying soldiering on my own terms.
Recently the opportunity to go on Op Toral came up and I put my name forward with the thinking being that I would always look back with regret that I had never deployed if i didn’t go for it (even if all I end up doing is stagging on).
Platoon commander has recently let me know that he thinks this is a bad idea and that the year the tour would cost would be better spent on my Civi career and with my family (1st kid was born a month ago).

Civi job is the definition of a 9-5, pays the bills, boss is decent but no other reserves in the company.

I just want to hear what impact deploying has had on people’s career and to hear any thoughts or advice people might have.

Cheers in advance
Bushy
Wait a minute.

I just read that you've got a newborn.

You mental bastard. Forget about the tour and focus on your kid and the time you'll never ever get back to build bonds.

I've seen good mates in tears when they've come back from a tour to see their new kid months older and not really recognising their dad.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Wait a minute.

I just read that you've got a newborn.

You mental bastard. Forget about the tour and focus on your kid and the time you'll never ever get back to build bonds.

I've seen good mates in tears when they've come back from a tour to see their new kid months older and not really recognising their dad.

ugly

LE
Toral! Well if you want to risk family and career forma tossing it offmtour then go ahead! However you will regret your decisions regardless!
The thing is you could wait until you are really needed and the country really is in the sh1t and you could enjoy sharing the family life that you seem to have left the regulars for!