Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tougher sentancing for assaults on emergency services?

You old softie. Although wiring his balls up to the 3-phase supply may be a better motivator.

Legislation should add 50% to 100% tariff to anybody assaulted for doing their job. Being a punch bag for a frustrated commuter is never acceptable
Absolutely!!!

As the situation now stands thugs are taking on the police, trying to rescue friends who have been arrested by threatening the police with guns, and police who are trying to detain suspects are being attacked on an almost daily basis. It means that the deterrent sentencing that would deter this behaviour simply is not there.

Any assault on any member of the police, fire, ambulance, or health services, should carry a severe enough penalty, together with mandatory detention, that those doing it will serve as examples to the wider community that it simply is not worth doing it.

SWJ99

War Hero
I don't believe there's a need for a two tier system. If something is a crime, then the punishment should reflect the seriousness of that crime, regardless of who the victim is.
To achieve this, some legislation would need to be altered, sentencing guidlines would have to change, and the courts would need to start honouring police who bring suspects before them, by handing out proper sentences where appropriate instead of sending them on holiday or community service in a charity shop.

If it's wrong, then it just is. No matter whether the target of the violence is a fire fighter, paramedic, old bill or old lady. All the time people see that not a lot will happen if they twat somebody, they're just going to keep on doing it and laughing at the potential results.

Sometimes, harsh punishments becomes necessary. Criminal psychology has revealed the insight that, some people take decision about whether to commit a crime or not depending upon its punishment.

They commit a crime, if the penalty/punishment is not very high, or, if their chances of getting caught/sentenced are low they will go ahead. For this reason harsh punishment definitely averts them from committing crime, reducing crime rate.

It would seem that present sentencing and or prison environments are simply not deterring.

Last edited:
I don't believe there's a need for a two tier system. If something is a crime, then the punishment should reflect the seriousness of that crime, regardless of who the victim is.
To achieve this, some legislation would need to be altered, sentencing guidlines would have to change, and the courts would need to start honouring police who bring suspects before them, by handing out proper sentences where appropriate instead of sending them on holiday or community service in a charity shop.

If it's wrong, then it just is. No matter whether the target of the violence is a fire fighter, paramedic, old bill or old lady. All the time people see that not a lot will happen if they twat somebody, they're just going to keep on doing it and laughing at the potential results.
They have been laughing, at both the Police and the Justice System when these sorts of travesty occur!!!
Judge’s outrage at rapist’s three-year reign of terror while out on bail
Family's heartbreak as killer released from jail after being told he would NOT be freed

ugly

LE
Ok a number of issues here, first one is putting persons not suitable for robust policing in front line jobs and then failing to give them support. The other and more important one is simply the justice system. Its broken, criminals walking with another supervision order, not enough prison places and magistrates and judges unwilling to sentence for a seriously long time.
Build more prisons.
Fill them up.
Less criminals to ruin normal peoples lives.

Sometimes, harsh punishments becomes necessary. Criminal psychology has revealed the insight that, some people take decision about whether to commit a crime or not depending upon its punishment.

They commit a crime, if the penalty/punishment is not very high, or, if their chances of getting caught/sentenced are low they will go ahead. For this reason harsh punishment definitely averts them from committing crime, reducing crime rate.

It would seem that present sentencing and or prison environments are simply not deterring.

Personally I would keep people convicted of offences like rape, terrorism, sex offences, paedophilia etc mixed with gen-pop, I think they'd soon find a reason not to want to go back

It’s like reams of extra legislation, without cops to investigate and enforce it, then it’s just paper.

Regardless of an increase in fines or sentences, the scrote isn’t going to be bothered about a potential 100 years in prison, if he knows the police have been so degraded by cuts that they can only catch a few.

It’s not necessarily about making emergency workers a special case per se, it’s about saying that an attack on a Paramedic etc is an attack on the infrastructure of this nation that has far reaching and expensive results.

I do however agree that all violence should be suitably and robustly punished.

ugly

LE
It is a case of the importer taking the piss with pricing AGAIN. What is worse is the fact that unimaginative and ineffective procurement staff are allowing their employers to be fleeced and personnel to be under equipped in return for a couple of free lunches.
When you try and import something for sale and want to cover your costs then give me a call and I will knock holes in your argument. Every item I import I sell at cost or at a loss. If I wanted to even make a small profit then I have to double the price here to that in the US. Thats the country we live in. To break even you need to import thousands of the things.

ugly

LE

100% agree, not only do we not want or need a two tier society we need fairness.

When you try and import something for sale and want to cover your costs then give me a call and I will knock holes in your argument. Every item I import I sell at cost or at a loss. If I wanted to even make a small profit then I have to double the price here to that in the US. Thats the country we live in. To break even you need to import thousands of the things.

I know, I know, but in this case they are/would be importing thousands of the things.

I have done non-ITAR stuff for peoples and they have saved money - pissed off one large gear maker in the US one time. They found out from a dealer I was looking to buy a consignment of holsters/belts/pouches so they called me. Did I want to register as a business client etc, no thanks, one time deal for a mates euro unit. The sales director tried to have an eppy down the phone at me for exporting out of the US when they have an authorised euro-dealer and I could not just simply export stuff bypassing their chain. I politely told him that if I can buy it in a shop in the US and stick it in the post somewhere and it is not illegal to do so then he could kiss my proverbial. Bigger eppy. So I called their Chief exec and explained my displeasure at his staff members attitude, he did not like my circumventing their system, but agreed there was nothing they could do about it as long as one of their registered US dealers was not bulk supplying the stuff to me in the knowledge that it was going for export - ex-SEAL, good bloke, met him later.

My mate was happy I saved his unti around 30% on euro prices which he could spend on other toys.

100% agree, not only do we not want or need a two tier society we need fairness.

Agreed, however, we already have a two tier system. The average, "life sentence" for murder is less than 20 years. The murderer of Jo Cox was given a Whole Life Tariff. Now, I have absolutely no problem with Mair dying in jail. He deserves it. But so does everyone else who commits murder. There should be no difference in the sentence you receive whether your victim was politician or a hooker(insert joke here). But that's not how the UK works. All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Latest Threads