Tougher sentancing for assaults on emergency services?

The original concept was yesterday routinely arming all police officers with tazers.

After coming across this article on Facebook i was divided on the concept on police officers being issued with tazer weapons, routinely including all Specials and Regulars.

Now after some pondering, I'm quite confident these guys have no one to blame but themselves, but that's me, they confronted an unarmed pisshead with no weapons and ended up getting smashed up despite being armed with the minimal kit such as stab vests, captor spray, batons etc, quite embarassing if you ask me, considering they were supposed to be highly trained and proficient frontline UK officers, alot of the supporters on the original UK board were calling for tazers and also arming frontline officers with firearms...

Case study: Thames Valley - horrific woodland attack

PC Lucie Chhetri and PC John Donovan were subjected to a horrifc attack in a remote rural spot in West Berkshire.

Their attacker - an intoxicated man accompanied by a young child - had driven into a ditch. The officers tried to help, but in a split second he turned into a “complete maniac”. PC Chhetri had her head smashed against a police car and her colleague was also punched repeatedly.

She said: “There were no signs, no body language clues – he went from zero to 100 in the blink of an eye. We sprayed him with Captor but it had no effect, he was like a raging bull.”

Back-up was 20 minutes away and the radio controller had poor local knowledge. Both officers feared for their lives. Later an ambulance took 40 minutes to arrive as it was diverted to another job. The suspect left with the injured offcers following a safe distance behind.

He was eventually arrested by officers from neighbouring Hampshire and appeared in court a year later. He denied the assaults but body worn video footage revealed the truth and he was jailed for two years.

PC Chhetri believes they got a good result in court but feels that if either officer had been carrying a Taser, they may have been able to subdue the offender without being assaulted.

PC O’Donovan (since promoted to sergeant), described the incident as like “something out of a horror movie”. He had to walk into hospital in front of members of the public in a muddied police uniform with injuries on display. The encounter has left him with recurring nightmares which he will be dealing with for some time.

He recalls: “The man was on the rampage – intent on causing serious harm. He was a lot stronger than me. He literally held me down and rained blows of immense force towards my head. He seemed to take great pleasure in inflicting this pain and I really didn’t think he was going to stop."

PC O'Donovan said his wife was devastated: “She talked about what would have happened if things had been worse and I had not come home to her and our baby. She wants me to leave policing as she feels that it is not safe.”

Police assaults

"Assaults on police officers are sadly commonplace. Our latest welfare survey data suggests there were more than two million unarmed physical assaults on officers over 12 months, and a further 302,842 assaults using a deadly weapon during the same period. These figures estimate that an assault on a police officer happens every four minutes.

To assault a police officer, prison officer, or other emergency service worker is to attack society itself and should never be accepted as ‘part of the job’. Together with our partners, the British Transport Police Federation and Prison Officers’ Association, and supporters, we are campaigning for:

a change in legislation
tougher sentences
better training and access to equipment
more accurate data on police assaults
improved welfare support
more consistent reporting of assaults on emergency services (as these are vastly under reported)
training and access to body-worn video, Taser and spit and bite guards

Last edited:
Now after some pondering, I'm quite confident these guys have no one to blame but themselves, but that's me, they confronted an unarmed pisshead with no weapons and ended up getting smashed up despite being armed with the minimal kit such as stab vests, captor spray, batons etc, quite embarassing if you ask me
Their attacker - an intoxicated man accompanied by a young child - had driven into a ditch. The officers tried to help, but in a split second he turned into a “complete maniac”.
Are you for real? how the hell were they supposed to know the guy was going to turn like that? how many actually do that that have just ditched their car? are you saying they shouldn't have rushed to help and maybe tasered him first?

Now after some pondering, I'm quite confident these guys have no one to blame but themselves, but that's me, they confronted an unarmed pisshead with no weapons and ended up getting smashed up despite being armed with the minimal kit such as stab vests, captor spray, batons etc, quite embarassing if you ask me, considering they were supposed to be highly trained and proficient frontline UK officers, alot of the supporters on the original UK board were calling for tazers and also arming frontline officers with firearms...
I'm not sure where you're going with this, they stopped at the seen of a vehicle accident where the driver was clearly pissed, with the nipper in the car it immediately became a child safety issue too.

I'm surprised that you believe they could have acted otherwise.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, they stopped at the seen of a vehicle accident where the driver was clearly pissed, with the nipper in the car it immediately became a child safety issue too.

As the thread title suggests, should there be tougher sentencing where assaults on emergency services are involved...

They should have tazered him immediately it kicked off.

Immediately.

And the PC bosses of the PC's should back them up 100%. More important than having 5 foot nothing 7 stone males/females/in-betweenies Police Constables .

They should have tazered him immediately it kicked off.

Immediately.

And the PC bosses of the PC's should back them up 100%. More important than having 5 foot nothing 7 stone males/females/in-betweenies Police Constables .
I'm guessing I already know your views on "courageous restraint"... :cool:

Absolutely shocking 2 highly trained front line REGULAR police officers got a whooping from a pisshead... and now people are begging for tazers and firearms? Can't handle it? Don't do it.

Go flip eggs at Maccy D's

The threat of a tougher sentence as a deterrent would not make any difference whatsoever to someone who is high/drunk/possessed etc and willing to take on anyone, be they a civi or police. The idea that a drunk/druggy is going to think, hey,wait a sec, maybe I shouldn’t beat the ever living shît out of a copper because I might get a stiffer penalty, is just plain naive bordering on stupid.......

Problem now is, just about every man and their dog carries a means to record what the police do. There's no fear of, or respect for the police, especially amongst the yoof, because they know they are pretty much untouchable. So they gob off, resist arrest, and assault a police officer because they know that Chantelle or Wayne will be filming it and if the copper does one thing out of line, they'll put on their compo faces and complain to whoever will listen.

The red tape should be removed and the police should be given the green light to uphold the law with any means they see fit, up to and including beating the shit out of the little feral rats that roam the streets. It's the only language they understand and they'll soon shut up and behave after getting a baton to the kneecap.

Problem now is, just about every man and their dog carries a means to record what the police do. There's no fear of, or respect for the police, especially amongst the yoof, because they know they are pretty much untouchable. So they gob off, resist arrest, and assault a police officer because they know that Chantelle or Wayne will be filming it and if the copper does one thing out of line, they'll put on their compo faces and complain to whoever will listen.

The red tape should be removed and the police should be given the green light to uphold the law with any means they see fit, up to and including beating the shit out of the little feral rats that roam the streets. It's the only language they understand and they'll soon shut up and behave after getting a baton to the kneecap.
The police are the ones wanting to equip themselves more so with bodycams...

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I recall reading not long ago of a US police officer, went to help somone who like the gent above, flipped and knocked the cop out. The guy then took the policemans weapon and shot him in the head before (i think) being shot by another officer.
You can be as well-trained or armed as you like, but if a 20 stone monster connects a punch, you are going to hit the deck hard.

Typically what happens when people assume roles that may require a degree of 'physicality' though find themselves sadly lacking.

I'm all for tougher sentences on those that assault members of the emergency services.

Latest Threads