Tough love or child abuse?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ninja_Turtle, Jun 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Telegraph - Grandad faces jail for forcing his grandchildren on a gruelling hike

As much as I disagree with accident waiting to happen regarding heat injury, I can't help but think that this is what the kids needed...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Right idea, probably wrongly executed. If he had taken them on a hike but did so at a reasonable pace and took account of the heat and the need for rest stops it would have been OK.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. He should have taken them on a short walk, then built them up to a hike.

You're hardly gonna get your kids into the idea that hiking can be fun, if you frag them.

As already said above: Right idea, wrongly executed.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Precedent set in American Law. Its now against the law to make fat people walk anywhere, 10 years and we'll have it over here.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. i see what he was going for but tethering them to that dog sled was taking it too far
  6. As others have said, starting slow and building up the length and severity is best for getting them fitter. Involving them in planning and finding out info about the geology, wildlife and history to get them interested makes hiking fun too. The guy sounds like a fruit-loop.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Sounds like a bit if a lightweight...

Flicking them with a rolled up t shirt? A wet towel man!

8. Too late my friend, its called the disability discrimination act.......and yes, that includes fatties, junkies, alcoholics and shy people.
  9. I agree that exercise is healthy but it's what goes in that counts. The calorific consumption over a 10 mile hike is probably less than a Maccy D.

He should've put them on an Austrian diet of basement and bum sex.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. "Carlson is such a young grandfather because he had his first child – Tara Danaher, the mother of the boys – when he was 15. Danaher was 17 when her oldest was born. In all, Carlson has five children, all with different mothers."

I think that tells us a lot about the family in question.

Add to that the fact that they are all overweight porkers who would dob in their own Grandfather to the plod in order to get of doing a bit of exercise. (A slow waddle in the park in nice weather.)

And they are American as well so they desrve a good kick up the backside for walking slowly. (If left unchecked it might lead on to being late for wars and other important social functions.)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

19 miles in a place with temperatures of 45C in the shade and off the radar in the sun? That would tax an experienced hiker never mind out of shape 8, 9 and 12 year olds. Grand and Bryce canyons are some fantastic walking but ease the kids in slowly for Gods sakes.

There is a joke in that last line I am sure.
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

bible belt.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1