Tough Guy, Feb 1.

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Duckie, Jan 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is anyone doing this?

If anyone has done it in the past (the winter one) can you give some advice on the obstacles, etc, or anything that could be of help for a first timer.

www.toughguy.co.uk

Thanks.

2. There are loads of videos on youtube. I would suggest that you dress to cover as much skin as possible and try not to go down with hypothermia.

That being said, 16 year old girls have done it, and they didn't ask for advice from the army...

3. I'm a 16 year old girl......!!! xxx

I've seen videos, just after other peoples experiences, whether in the forces or not.

4. Ah, if only I had a quid every time I've fallen for that one...

5. I've done it a couple of times. First year was really cold and the front guys had to break the ice on the water.
    I wore 3/4 leggings with old Ron Hills over, a thermal Helly Hanson and another wicking t.shirt on top (Thankfully no fashion police around!). I also had an old hat that I didn't mind losing on the way around. I had off road trainers but not the ones with plastic lugs (too slippery on wood). Expect to get muddy and smelly so wear old kit that you really don't mind getting ripped and smelly.
    At the beginning you get quite hot as it's a cross country run, then you hit the obstacles with long queues and get cold. At times you find yourself held up on the top of the obstacle and with the wind chill and being wet anyway it's incredibly cold.
    It's a brilliant race and the support and help from other competitors is great. I've also done Hellrunner, Grim and Turbo x races but nothing is a good as the Tough Guy.
    Good luck and have fun.

6. Great stuff.

I was worried it could be all hype, and it not actually be that hard.

I think I'd be disappointed if I finished it and didn't find it that hard.

I'm hoping it will be the most difficult thing I've ever done, though probably won't be thinking that at the time when I'm freezing to death....

I hope they don't let people skip obstacles, as I've heard they do, and I want to do all of it.

7. I think towards the back they skip obstacles as you can watch them after you get changed - but to be honest they've already been out there for a couple of hours and it's between them and their own self esteem.

It's certainly not easy but it's so much fun and you laugh so much with the guys around you that it doesn't seem that bad at the time - it's afterwards when you sit down and think about it that you realise how awsome it was.

I remember doing it the first time and coming off the big frame into the electric wires that they weren't switched on as I didn't get a shock, then the next year I had a massive shock in the back from one and couldn't believe that they actually were electricuting people!

8. Its easy, no real challenges except boredom.

9. ..well, take a book next time then !

10. You as well?! 8O :oops:

I mean, if you can't trust someone on the Net - who can you trust? :D

11. I'll take some knitting to do if there are queues for the obstacles!!

12. Thats the spirit!

13. No time for knitting or reading as you'll be too busy laughing and joking around with your fellow competitors. There's a sense of madness amongst you all which makes for a great atmosphere and bonding.

Besides you'll be shivering too hard to hold a book or knitting needles.

14. Just Faxed my entry forms :lol:

Doing it 50/50: Their Charity: Keeping teens off the streets / My Charity: Laura Crane Trust promoting research into teenage cancer

See you at the finish line :wink:

Daz 8O

15. I'm well excited now. Just 2 weeks to go.

Any tips on how best to do certain obstacles?

Anything I should be aware of, from those that have done it before???

Cheers.