Total War: Troy - free to download on 13 Aug 20 only

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Launching it now
tumblr_inline_mty7jg7NZw1s7pgbp.gif

Virgin cable, they get slagged off a lot but I've always found them excellent.
I'm glad I'm no longer in rural Ontario, because it was still dial-up when I moved away and you were downloading at break-neck speed at 7 kB/sec, when the usual speed was 3 or 4 kB/sec.

I'm done, installed - will fire it up later as I'm off out shortly.

Last TW I had was Empire, so looking forward to this.

Total folder size btw, 25.3GB

In Belgium I could down load a 25 gig game in about 20 minutes; back in the UK that's an all night job now.

I moved back to be with the Mrs, but not sure it was worth leaving speeds like that behind.

Another free game I'll probably play once and decide it's too difficult.

Then again, I play PoE so nothing can be that complicated.

I have no words.

So you've missed out on Shogun 2, Warhammer 1 & 2... Rome 2. To name just some of my favourites.

Even Napoleon was good. And Three Kingdoms has some really good game dynamics with different characters.
Yeah, sorry.

It does seem remiss as I loved the early games.

Warhammer 1 & 2 are great. Best in my view was Empire Total war, although it had buggy AI.

Also the expansion to Shogun was excellent, where you pretty much had samurais and cowboys fighting each other.

Also Darth Mod who used to add some of the best mods to TW games, actually went off and started his dev firm. The games are all his version of Empire - pretty good AI and mechanics, so might be worth checking out.

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
Warhammer 1 & 2 are great. Best in my view was Empire Total war, although it had buggy AI.

Also the expansion to Shogun was excellent, where you pretty much had samurais and cowboys fighting each other.

My favourites were the Romes, simply because I'm interested in the Roman war machine. Got hooked by the Conn Iggulden "Emperor" series of books about Caesar and never looked back. (Currently re-reading the SJA Turney "Marius' Mules" series.)

Empire was really good, as was Napoleon. I think the short-range firearms + artillery worked well for that era, and one thing they did which was missing from later Total Wars is better use of cover (e.g. having your Green Jackets lying in long grass, hiding Fusiliers behind walls etc).

Shogun 2 series were beautiful and some of the siege battles were memorable. Sneaking ninjas up to the highest fort tier, to punish enemies who had only left a token force at the victory point...

But in terms of the best games, they have to be Warhammer 1 and 2. I was sceptical and didn't like the "fantasy" element at first, but it basically takes the handcuffs off the developers. I can't even remember how many campaigns I've played on WH2, and the different factions' play style make it almost like a different game altogether.

Dwarves with their heavy armour and helicopters(!), high elves with their archers and dragons, the Skaven rats with Ratling guns (brilliant)... the fact that intelligent tactics actually make a massive difference, especially on siege battles.

Really hoping Troy is good. If it disappoints, after the first campaign I'll probably go and play another WH2 campaign.

Or maybe re-play Three Kingdoms as Lu Bu again. For those who haven't tried it - he has a feature called Rally which is a game-changer. After winning a battle, it's usually the end of that army's turn. With Lu Bu, you can opt to restore all your movement points, slight replenishment, army fatigued, but you can go again. You can bounce from one battle to the next for as long as there are enemies within range. My record was about 15 battles in one turn, with an ever-depleting force. Worth it though :D

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Brief overview before I go and do something meaningless which is nothing that couldn't wait till tomorrow, but according to her has to be done right this second or we all die, it's not bad no total Warhammer though

My favourites were the Romes, simply because I'm interested in the Roman war machine. Got hooked by the Conn Iggulden "Emperor" series of books about Caesar and never looked back. (Currently re-reading the SJA Turney "Marius' Mules" series.)

Empire was really good, as was Napoleon. I think the short-range firearms + artillery worked well for that era, and one thing they did which was missing from later Total Wars is better use of cover (e.g. having your Green Jackets lying in long grass, hiding Fusiliers behind walls etc).

Shogun 2 series were beautiful and some of the siege battles were memorable. Sneaking ninjas up to the highest fort tier, to punish enemies who had only left a token force at the victory point...

But in terms of the best games, they have to be Warhammer 1 and 2. I was sceptical and didn't like the "fantasy" element at first, but it basically takes the handcuffs off the developers. I can't even remember how many campaigns I've played on WH2, and the different factions' play style make it almost like a different game altogether.

Dwarves with their heavy armour and helicopters(!), high elves with their archers and dragons, the Skaven rats with Ratling guns (brilliant)... the fact that intelligent tactics actually make a massive difference, especially on siege battles.

Really hoping Troy is good. If it disappoints, after the first campaign I'll probably go and play another WH2 campaign.

Or maybe re-play Three Kingdoms as Lu Bu again. For those who haven't tried it - he has a feature called Rally which is a game-changer. After winning a battle, it's usually the end of that army's turn. With Lu Bu, you can opt to restore all your movement points, slight replenishment, army fatigued, but you can go again. You can bounce from one battle to the next for as long as there are enemies within range. My record was about 15 battles in one turn, with an ever-depleting force. Worth it though :D

Rome was good - I think that was a major turning point in the series and it also got TV coverage (with time commanders or whatever that TV program using total war was called).

Agree some of the mechanics could have been better with Empire. I think that also really pushed the series with sea battles. It was probably ahead of its time, so would do better on todays hardware.

I think the best bit about Warhammer is how each army is different. Apparently it's a trilogy. I don't know where they'll go afterwards, because I think Age of Sigmar has smaller batters - but would be good if they used Games Workshops Lord of the Rings Franchise.

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
Started first campaign, decided to play as Elvis.

Hold on, that should read Paris :)

So much to explore... lots of nice new features. Liking the multi-resource economy, which makes it a lot harder to build stuff and upgrade settlements early on.

Also - bronze is gonna be a bastard. Doubt there will be 20-unit stacks of elite units for quite a while, as they require bronze for upkeep (in addition to food).

I'd like a total war version of the Battle for Middle Earth

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Been playing it on and off, just not "feeling" it for some reason. It's a period I am interested in, have some knowledge of etc, but it's just well, bland is the nearest I can explain my view on it.

Latest Threads