Tosca R&R - not in UK?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Fake_Welshman, May 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tosca may be on the cards for next year. When this happens the chances are that the mrs will be in Damascus, Syria. Which leads me to wander if its possible for me to take my R&R direct from cyprus and not go back to blighty.
    It's a short flight or ferry and a bus over to Damascus.

Or is this just me being hoplessly optimistic?

cheers in advance

2. One of my mates was on Tossa last year, pretty sure he had his R+R on the island

3. Don't make your mind up until you've seen the Tosca R&R package...It ain't too shabby.

4. I thought TOSSA was R&R?

5. I was due to go last year but ended up not deploying, although i was in for the R&R brief. I believe there are options to either come back to the UK if you so wish otherwise you can hire a villa of varying sizes for your 2 weeks so you can fly the family out and have a holiday there. Not sure if it'll be the same but we were offered R&R allowance, so you wouldnt have to fork out the full ammount for the villa completely but merely a contribution i believe.
    Again this may be different depending on what regt you deploy with

6. Can the RAuxAF join in on Tosca, if so, how ?? Would round my career off nicely and can retire with a suntan

7. If it hasnt changed here is the R&R package details

1700 euros for accommadation. Plus food money workes out to around 2400 euros. If the r&R cell are swiched on they can usully get a hire car thrown in. Also they can use the food money towards the whole package. The food money you get in cash from the RAO's. If you decoide to take R&R off Cyprus then its a return flight to UK. I belive a lot depends on the R&R cell. Some blokes got together and had a proper good holiday as they pooled the allowance.

I was on Tosca last year.

8. You can fly directly to Damascus I think. Plenty of people did it when we were based in Cyprus. Check for the usual clearances / briefings required from the bottom inspectors.

9. Long time no hear, bobos. You've jumped ship again?

How are the mighty fallen, Yeoman to RAF ;)

10. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

All changed,Allbroke. RnR can be taken on island still but you no longer get the deal you used to. What was being put in its place was a 2 week booking in a hotel on full board. Apparently a number of hotels were going to be selected to be part of the scheme. If said individual wants to bring family over, said individual pays for them to get there (as was always the case) and then pays for their food and accom. Ref booking for soldier, no cash is given to the soldier/officer.

Alternatively RnR can be taken in UK or Germany using trooping flights. I am told Germany RnR is via UK trooping flight and then Germany trooping flight which sounds a bit inconvenient to say the least.

Regarding RnR elsewhere(Africa, for example - but security clearance may be required depending on where you want to go) I think this allowed (flights from Larnaca) or ferry but I am pretty sure cost is down to the individual.

11. Yep thats sounds about right. 32 SRG spoiled the party because no one realised that the troops on Tosca were getting this perk (MOD paid it). As to the soldiers getting trooper flights it was cheaper to send them BA because Crab Air charged the UN about £600 per person. But it could have changed.

12. Bowmore_Assassin

Not sure about the flights bit, but your first sentence is correct as the facts were relayed to me. 'Allegedly,' 32 buggered it up for everyone following on. I did understand that somehow the FCO were paying it and not MOD.

I suppose in the current climate it is hard to justify anyway...actually, pretty hard to justify in any way. Having said that, hundreds of British soldiers over the years benefitted from this 'perk' and no harm done. The current on-island deal cannot be sniffed at.

13. Its true about the flights, the ConWo organised the OPTAG and BA was the cheapest option. Yep 32 tried to get the ITR the R&R package even though they were sat at Dekilia.
    Question is now the package has been reduced will they get the Op bonus or LOA. We were there when the arse fell out of the pound and the lads effectivly took a pay cut. At one point it was £6 for a pint in Nicosia. Then again it is a sunshine tour.

14. if you get chummy with the the r&r cell and give them a bit of hell they will end up tell you to sort it yourself and they will pay for it

i contacted all the relevant travel agents and got 3 days in cairo and 7 in hurghada, hire car all included

you need to watch that the place you want to go is on "the list"

15. Bowmore_Assassin

I have been briefed you do not get Cyprus LOA or the op tour allowance.