Tory Think-Tank- Its grim up North

#1
http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/uk/2008/08/13/think_tank_calls_for_move_south?vmsrc=vmhpld

(May be time limited)

The Tories have moved to disown a report by a Conservative-leaning think tank claiming northern cities such as Liverpool are beyond revival and their residents should be relocated to the south east.

The timing of the report by the Policy Exchange - sometimes described as David Cameron's favourite think tank - could hardly have been more embarrassing as the Tory leader began on a two-day visit to the north west.

It argued that a mass internal migration was the only answer to a decade of failed efforts to concentrate regeneration cash on other parts of the country.

All of the three million new homes planned by the Government should be shared equally between the capital city, Oxford and Cambridge, it said.

And money currently being pumped into renewal projects and back-to-work schemes should instead be given directly to councils according to local wage levels to spend on regeneration measures.

In conclusions the authors conceded might be viewed as "barmy", they said coastal cities like Liverpool and Sunderland had "lost much of their raison d'etre" with the decline of shipping and had "little prospect of offering their residents the standard of living to which they aspire".

It was time to be "realistic about the ability of cities such as Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle to regenerate struggling nearby towns such as Liverpool, Bradford and Sunderland.

"No-one is suggesting that residents should be forced to move, but we do argue that they should be told the reality of the position: regeneration, in the sense of convergence, will not happen, because it is not possible," it concluded.

The publication of the report coincided with the start of a two-day visit by Mr Cameron to Tory target seats in the north west of England, including several around Liverpool.

Conservative frontbencher Chris Grayling, the shadow minister for Liverpool, said that it did "not reflect" party policy and that the Tories did not agree with the conclusions.
Probably not going to go down well in some quarters.
 
#2
what rot. Has anyone seen Manchester recently? Its undergone a transformation since the 1980s!
 
#3
Mr_Deputy said:
bensonby said:
what rot. Has anyone seen Manchester recently? Its undergone a transformation since the 1980s!
Leeds has certainly.
And Liverpool has, um, a nice cathederal...and, um, the mersey...
 
#4
Just because people do not like what they are saying does not make it wrong, although some of their suggested solutions are clearly non runnners in practical terms.

The important bits are different to that the press are splashing: an important one being it is that people on the ground who know what is good and bad about their area and what will or will not work, not some Social or Economic theorists dancing to the save the traditional Liarbor vote tune. They should be allowed to develop their own plans, not have it slabbed on them by a control freak Government or their Regional Development agencies.

Also the not entirely difficult point that success breeds success and failure breeds failure: cr@p areas have lower skilled workforces and those who have ability, skills or drive bugger off ASAP to somewhere better. Just throwing money at problem areas has never really helped long term because it does not fix the basic economic causes of the problems.

As ever, read the source not the press pap.

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/Publications.aspx?id=704

"Not every struggling town has a bleak future. The critical issue is market potential.

Some areas that are struggling could be well connected to successful areas. Such places have much greater economic potential than those places that are intrinsically more isolated. Coastal cities, whether large
like Liverpool and Hull, or small like Scunthorpe and Blackpool are most vulnerable.

All have accessibility problems in a road-based era, because they are almost always at the end of the line. Our largest coastal cities are generally large for a reason that has disappeared: ocean-going shipping,
and ship building. They have lost much of their raison d’etre, and it is hard
to imagine them prospering at their current sizes. Sunderland demonstrates just how hard it is to regenerate such a city.

We argue that all towns and cities,whether we believe them connectable or
not, should have the right to determine their own policies. We believe that the Government should roll up almost all current regeneration funding, and allocate it according to need. Areas would then be able to spend the money on traditional regeneration schemes if they believe that
those regeneration schemes will deliver value for money. Or they would be allowed to spend the money on less conventional regeneration schemes, including deliberately setting out to attract highly skilled workers
from elsewhere, and facilitating local people’s search for work in other, better placed, locations.

And, if they really believe that there are few prospects for their area, whatever policies are followed, they should be able to spend the money on palliative measures, improving the quality of life for those people who, for whatever reason, cannot or will not move. Such people must not be forgotten."
 
#5
The critical issue is market potential.
Dear God, they really haven't learned anything have they? Have they no clue as to why they were written of in 1997 as a bunch on neo-liberal clueless wonders? To this day I laugh when I remember the guy who came up with Thatcher's reform policies turned out to be autistic, and John Nash, the guy who started it all, was a paraniod schizophrenic!

P.S. Sheffield has been rebuilt from the ground up over the last decade also - went in via the train station and when I stepped out I couldn't believe what they'd done with the place!
 
#8
Exactly - can someone please edit the utterly misleading title of this thread?
 
#10
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7556937.stm

Even the authors say about their report; "Mr Cameron - who is on a two-day tour of marginal constituencies in the North of England - will be keen to minimise any embarrassment as he seeks to gain ground in traditional Labour heartlands.

'Plain stupid'

He said: "The authors of this report have themselves admitted it is barmy, it isn't, it is insane."

Sounds to me this 'report' is just a product of brainstorming session - looks like it was dismissed pretty much instantly.

We all know if the Tories wanted to upset our northern friends Boris would have popped up on a London bus. :p
 
#11
"We argue that all towns and cities,whether we believe them connectable or
not, should have the right to determine their own policies. We believe that the Government should roll up almost all current regeneration funding, and allocate it according to need. Areas would then be able to spend the money on traditional regeneration schemes if they believe that
those regeneration schemes will deliver value for money. Or they would be allowed to spend the money on less conventional regeneration schemes, including deliberately setting out to attract highly skilled workers
from elsewhere, and facilitating local people’s search for work in other, better placed, locations.

And, if they really believe that there are few prospects for their area, whatever policies are followed, they should be able to spend the money on palliative measures, improving the quality of life for those people who, for whatever reason, cannot or will not move. Such people must not be forgotten."

To be honest, I can't see anything wrong with any of those lines. Central Government should not be telling Liverpool, Hull and Sunderland how to spend regeneration money allocated to those 3 completly different places. The councils that run those town should be able to decide how to spend money, which hopefully wouldn't have ended up with the stupid and pointless Pathfinder project...
 
#12
So....... this Tory leaning think tank(now there's a contradiction of terms)think us 'Northeners' live in a smoggy, wasteland of dereliction and deprevation, which 80's archive did they get this info from, bet they didn't venture 'North' of watford Gap just in case the 'natives were not friendly' which century do these gormless(theres a good northern word) idiots think we are in?
Have seen the interviews on SKY News and they come across as arrogant right wing fools and epitomise all that was wrong with the Tories before Tone nicked there policies.
Billions have been spent on regenerating these cities and they are no more ghettoes than Bermondsey and Tower Hamlets in London, as for not being near a major transport hub like the 4 airports around the South East or the profussion of congested motorways, then I am quite thankfull I live and work in an area that has the largest chemical industry in Europe and the deepest river port in the 'North' oh and our local airport has expanded hugely in the last 10 years due to it's long runway longer than any at Heathrow i believe,
So all in all you can keep your bufoons crowding into the South East corner along with the water shortages, polution, smog, congestion and sky high property prices I'll stay here in a much nicer area, did I mention that I am only an easy 10minute drive from one the countries outstanding areas of Beauty, along uncongested well kept roads.
 
#13
Agree with the recent posts. Although most of it is being dismissed as barmy the author was on SkyNews this AM souding quite sensible. He pointed out that if you were happy where you were living then you were in the right place. If you thought that where you were living was a dump then you had a better chance of a higher paid job in the South of England. Hardly incendiary or doing down the North. As per, there will be the usual suspects jumping in about how outrageous this is that the North is being rubbished. Pinch of salt methinks.
 
#14
Just seen the hatsrevenge post which validates my penultimate sentence.
 
#15
TheHatsRevenge said:
So....... this Tory leaning think tank(now there's a contradiction of terms)think us 'Northeners' live in a smoggy, wasteland of dereliction and deprevation, which 80's archive did they get this info from, bet they didn't venture 'North' of watford Gap just in case the 'natives were not friendly' which century do these gormless(theres a good northern word) idiots think we are in?
Have seen the interviews on SKY News and they come across as arrogant right wing fools and epitomise all that was wrong with the Tories before Tone nicked there policies.
Billions have been spent on regenerating these cities and they are no more ghettoes than Bermondsey and Tower Hamlets in London, as for not being near a major transport hub like the 4 airports around the South East or the profussion of congested motorways, then I am quite thankfull I live and work in an area that has the largest chemical industry in Europe and the deepest river port in the 'North' oh and our local airport has expanded hugely in the last 10 years due to it's long runway longer than any at Heathrow i believe,
So all in all you can keep your bufoons crowding into the South East corner along with the water shortages, polution, smog, congestion and sky high property prices I'll stay here in a much nicer area, did I mention that I am only an easy 10minute drive from one the countries outstanding areas of Beauty, along uncongested well kept roads.
Outrage bus please.....

And if Bliar nicked all "their" polices...What does that make Bliar? apart from a brain dead tea leaf....
 
#16
Neuroleptic said:
http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/uk/2008/08/13/think_tank_calls_for_move_south?vmsrc=vmhpld

(May be time limited)

The Tories have moved to disown a report by a Conservative-leaning think tank claiming northern cities such as Liverpool are beyond revival and their residents should be relocated to the south east.

The timing of the report by the Policy Exchange - sometimes described as David Cameron's favourite think tank - could hardly have been more embarrassing as the Tory leader began on a two-day visit to the north west.

It argued that a mass internal migration was the only answer to a decade of failed efforts to concentrate regeneration cash on other parts of the country.

All of the three million new homes planned by the Government should be shared equally between the capital city, Oxford and Cambridge, it said.

And money currently being pumped into renewal projects and back-to-work schemes should instead be given directly to councils according to local wage levels to spend on regeneration measures.

In conclusions the authors conceded might be viewed as "barmy", they said coastal cities like Liverpool and Sunderland had "lost much of their raison d'etre" with the decline of shipping and had "little prospect of offering their residents the standard of living to which they aspire".

It was time to be "realistic about the ability of cities such as Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle to regenerate struggling nearby towns such as Liverpool, Bradford and Sunderland.


"No-one is suggesting that residents should be forced to move, but we do argue that they should be told the reality of the position: regeneration, in the sense of convergence, will not happen, because it is not possible," it concluded.

The publication of the report coincided with the start of a two-day visit by Mr Cameron to Tory target seats in the north west of England, including several around Liverpool.

Conservative frontbencher Chris Grayling, the shadow minister for Liverpool, said that it did "not reflect" party policy and that the Tories did not agree with the conclusions.
Probably not going to go down well in some quarters.
That is a splendid idea.

Coastal and rural properties in the South are vastly expensive, but along comes global warming and a mass exodus from the North to solve the problem of being able to afford a weekend/second home. Magic.
 
#18
TheHatsRevenge said:
So....... this Tory leaning think tank(now there's a contradiction of terms)think us 'Northeners' live in a smoggy, wasteland of dereliction and deprevation, which 80's archive did they get this info from, bet they didn't venture 'North' of watford Gap just in case the 'natives were not friendly' which century do these gormless(theres a good northern word) idiots think we are in?
Have seen the interviews on SKY News and they come across as arrogant right wing fools and epitomise all that was wrong with the Tories before Tone nicked there policies.
Billions have been spent on regenerating these cities and they are no more ghettoes than Bermondsey and Tower Hamlets in London, as for not being near a major transport hub like the 4 airports around the South East or the profussion of congested motorways, then I am quite thankfull I live and work in an area that has the largest chemical industry in Europe and the deepest river port in the 'North' oh and our local airport has expanded hugely in the last 10 years due to it's long runway longer than any at Heathrow i believe,
So all in all you can keep your bufoons crowding into the South East corner along with the water shortages, polution, smog, congestion and sky high property prices I'll stay here in a much nicer area, did I mention that I am only an easy 10minute drive from one the countries outstanding areas of Beauty, along uncongested well kept roads.

Sadly most of the "Buffoons",that crowd in to the South East,appear to come from somewhere North of Watford,because there are people "Oop North",that still think the streets are paved with Gold,mind you there are people who still think London is the "Mutts Nuts"? :roll:

As a matter of interest,of the commercial airports in the UK,Manston (Kent)has the longest runway (still a master diversion airfield).

But I digress,I see the answer to the problem from a different direction, instead of asking people to move,why don't we go back to the old answer,encourage companies to move some of their manufacturing northward,don' let them devlop more sites down south,stop making the Garden of England into a F**king patio! There are lots of different solutions,it just needs someone with a bit of "common",to come along and do it!

Time for tea said Zebedee :wink:
 
#19
TheHatsRevenge said:
So....... this Tory leaning think tank(now there's a contradiction of terms)think us 'Northeners' live in a smoggy, wasteland of dereliction and deprevation, which 80's archive did they get this info from, bet they didn't venture 'North' of watford Gap just in case the 'natives were not friendly' which century do these gormless(theres a good northern word) idiots think we are in?
Have seen the interviews on SKY News and they come across as arrogant right wing fools and epitomise all that was wrong with the Tories before Tone nicked there policies.
Billions have been spent on regenerating these cities and they are no more ghettoes than Bermondsey and Tower Hamlets in London, as for not being near a major transport hub like the 4 airports around the South East or the profussion of congested motorways, then I am quite thankfull I live and work in an area that has the largest chemical industry in Europe and the deepest river port in the 'North' oh and our local airport has expanded hugely in the last 10 years due to it's long runway longer than any at Heathrow i believe,
So all in all you can keep your bufoons crowding into the South East corner along with the water shortages, polution, smog, congestion and sky high property prices I'll stay here in a much nicer area, did I mention that I am only an easy 10minute drive from one the countries outstanding areas of Beauty, along uncongested well kept roads.
Shhhh all they'll all want to live here!!!!! This report is gold - perpetuate the myth!!!
 
#20
Can I just point out for all the people jumping on the outrage bus:

THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY DOES NOT ENDORSE THESE IDEAS.

Now give over.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top