Tory plan to give a private nurse to every mother....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by headgear, Feb 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I could'nt believe it, at the weekend when the tory's new plan for maternity care was revealed.

1. Every woman to have a nurse to look after them in their home for one week after giving birth.

2. This nurse will obviously monitor mum and baby.

3. Also each mum how to feed and clean baby and cook meals for any other kids.

FFS I find this unbelievable! - admittedly a small amount of mothers may need some guidance but at £1000 a pop this will bankrupt the NHS! I think this is being suggested because of the number of single mothers out there and where in a nurses job spec does it say they have to cook for someone elses kids!!!
  2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Errm. This isn't a new thing. 25 years ago when I lived in Dorset, the feckless family of the village used to pop out a sprog every year. And every year when Mum came home with a new sprog, she brought a government paid nursemaid to help her with her new responsibilities, cook meals for the other children, and take them to and from school.

Another politician announcing something that's already going on.
  3. Thats what happens when 15 year old Amy-Jane gives birth to "Britney-Jordan".

She only just learnt how to make her own cup of tea but she's an acrobat in the bedroom.

Under 18's getting up the duff should have to go to 6 months of kid bringing up school. Infact better yet bring in a Baby licence. You have to prove your competent before the government will support you in anyway.
  4. I had an emergency caesarian with my daughter and spent a week in hospital.

I would have done better at home, the nursing care I got was shite, the food was shite and I couldn't eat most of it due to food intolerances and/or allergies. Did they give a damn? Nope.

When I got home one of my friends came round to see us and did no more than wash up and go home. Six years on I am still grateful for one small act.

That said, if my partner had been more supportive I wouldn't have been attempting to hoover less than a fortnight after an operation.

New mums need help to get into a routine, that's undeniable. That said, if the family network hadn't deteriorated there would be no need for this at all.
  5. I read it will cost £1000 per mother,and there are 670000 birthes a year.Isnt that an awful lot of money?
  6. If someone feels they want the responsibility of bringing a child into the world, then they can bloody take responsibility for their own housework too.

Ooh a crying baby and lots of housework, thats life, get on with it. Don't like it, can't cope? Don't have babies then.

No wonder we have such a shite society when no-one has to account for themselves anymore.
  7. Pandering to the women's vote, nothing more. Yet another 'promise' that won't last more than a few seconds after the next election.
  8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

See my previous. It's been going on for at least 25 years. It's nothing new. And a lot of self-sufficient women wouldn't have voted for it, I suspect.
  9. Surely the decision as to whether to have a family or not comes down to responsibility: if a woman chooses to have a child without a partner or with a useless partner or without any other domestic support, why should the tax payer have to provide that support? There are capable women out there who suck up their situation and get on with it, as Moody has pointed out. Once more a political party is pandering to a "woe is me!" segment of the population and I'm really getting annoyed about paying for it.
  10. They'll end up as bad as Labour in terms of thinking of things to spend your money on.
  11. Never said it was effective pandering. :D

'Call me Dave' is a prime example of what the Tories think will attract that lumpen monobloc they think of as the women's vote. Fluff and packaging, rather than substance and policy.
  12. All for this in one way, I don't think it is neccesary for a nurse to cook for other kids though. If there are other kids, then the mother should have a fair idea of what to do.

For many first time mums, perhaps it should be an option.

Or better yet have some "mum and dad" lessons laid on for the parents to be in the run up to the birth. Start getting the parents taught early and we might start seeing better brought up kids where before they were more like feral savages roaming the streets.

If the parents become overwhelmed they could request assistance. A mid-wife or similar profession could visit daily for the first week or two, to check on their well being, and make the call if needed.

With Paternity leave, surely there should be an extra set of hands around.
  13. oooooooh how un-PC of you assuming the woman has a male partner around :D
  14. To be fair, there is times when an idea like this could work well. All three of mine were born via c-section, and trying to split time between hospital, and kids, and housework,etc was a nightmare.
    The only reason for my wife to be in hospital after the first couple of days was so that nursing care was on hand when needed. Surely it would be cheaper for the NHS, and better for everyone if in circumstances like ours, we could have gone home earlier. That way I could've have concentrated on the kids, whilst my missus concentrated on getting better.

As it was the only way we coped was for my mother to take some time off work and come and look after my kids. And before anyone starts ranting about taking responsibility etc, the only reason we are so far away from our support structure (extended family) is because of the job!
  15. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that the majority of people don't mind the state spending their taxes on helping out the exceptions - it's when there's a blanket policy that it begins to sting. I have no problem with a state raising taxes to provide a last resort safety net to people, but the Lady Bountiful approach to public spending that the UK's main political parties have these days is offensive.