Tory MP Stabbed

A priest by your side is very important to a Catholic as s/he is dying. There are religious rites that are considered necessary for the (soon to be) deceased's soul.
I am an agnostic Catholic now but even I asked for a priest when it looked like I was done for. If nothing else, it brings you and your family comfort - rituals seem to have that effect.
I think if you weren't brought up in the old catechism, it's difficult to understand. Younger Catholics don't seem to get it, either, IMO.
Don't answer if it's too personal or upsetting or just unknowable, but would someone reciting the words (with solemnity etc) have been a comfort, or would it have to be the whole oil-cross ceremony with the (scarf)?.
(my knowledge is on a par with Father Dougal)

Edit: a phone app?

jinxy

LE
Times have changed: there's no need for a pupillage before the Call to The Bar.

The lawyer needs to study for - and be examined on - the Bar (usually takes a year). If successful, then the individual gets The Call*.

Then comes the pupillage: this year, they have been like hen's teeth.

*she lost out slightly this year as the formal Call was online which, whilst a pleasure to witness and a reward for all her hard work, wasn't quite the same.
That was very informative, my last GF's son has his payed for by his granfather, a lord no less. Think Bodingtons.

Londo

LE
Can't be many Cockneys left, they're mostly Muslims now round there
I would agree . Last time I was down Whitechapel high road about 14/15 years ago . I would say Cockney types outnumbered by at least 500 to 1

I would agree . Last time I was down Whitechapel high road about 14/15 years ago . I would say Cockney types outnumbered by at least 500 to 1

Yup this kind of London doesn't exist

If they are born within the sound of the [whatever bell it was] then surely they are also Cockney ?

;)

Of course and they'll dance along to Chas and Dave down the rub a dub

MPs united in their sorrow at Sir David Amess 'Passing Away'.

So why do they want police protection? A copper won't prevent cancer or old age.

MPs united in their sorrow at Sir David Amess 'Passing Away'.

So why do they want police protection? A copper won't prevent cancer or old age.

Protection from people posting nasty comments online if you believe the MP's misdirection

Slime

LE
Thread drift alert. :)

Last week I started arguing with various posters in this thread, and didn’t even really notice I was doing it.
When it hit home that I was arguing just for the sake of it I said I would stop posting in the thread, and then decided to stop posting on ARRSE for a few days so I could give my head a wobble :)

No other posters had annoyed me, and I pretty much think I was just basically angry at myself due to my intense frustration with how Long Covid is stopping me being able to do the things I used to take for granted.

In short, apologies for pointless arguing, it didnt add anything to the thread. :)

Edit.
Forgot to add.
If it looks like I ignored any quotes or questions that was because I had stopped posting or reading the thread, for the benefit of the thread :)

Thread drift alert. :)

Last week I started arguing with various posters in this thread, and didn’t even really notice I was doing it.
When it hit home that I was arguing just for the sake of it I said I would stop posting in the thread, and then decided to stop posting on ARRSE for a few days so I could give my head a wobble :)

No other posters had annoyed me, and I pretty much think I was just basically angry at myself due to my intense frustration with how Long Covid is stopping me being able to do the things I used to take for granted.

In short, apologies for pointless arguing, it didnt add anything to the thread. :)

Edit.
Forgot to add.
If it looks like I ignored any quotes or questions that was because I had stopped posting or reading the thread, for the benefit of the thread :)

You should have know that that beret might have been a portent. Int? Physician heal thyself situation, init.

Seriously, get well soon.

Latest Threads