Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Johnson

Votes: 101 91.8%
  • Stewart

Votes: 37 33.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yepp a 10 min phone call....
That will kill 86% of UK Trade stone dead.
Credit rating will plummet as the UK will have defaulted.
No one who has a trade deal with the EU will do one with the UK (500million customers trump 60 million)
Pound will fall and UK cost of living sky rockets.

After that the EU will start to play hardball.
Ollie Robins walt.

I particularly like the idea that the EU has somehow created trade deals that grant them exclusivity, which countries do you think this 'only have a trade deal with us' clause applies to, to the nearest none?

No one who has a trade deal with the EU will do one with the UK (500million customers trump 60 million)

Ooh look! The sky is falling in.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
That was not original, Tony Bliar used that "I'm one of the boys" tricks. It took in a generation, but that's Jo Public for you.
He borrowed that particular trick from Colonel Peron - but then he and his Scottish mate also borrowed key policy ideas from Mussolini - the Third Way and PFI being but two of them.

Except that 1/2 UK don't want Brexit.
Therefore doing 4 does not give 1, 3 or 5.
So the five of them are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Except, despite the national display, they're very narrowly focused and primarily playing to a very small audience - the ones who will elect them.

To be frank, this is only navel gazing being presented by the MSM for national consumption.

For the candidates at the moment (1) does equal (5), and (5) is all important because they're career politicians in an adversarial system.

(4) is just the platform/opportunity du jour, though that said if they don't have a credible position on (4) then (5) becomes precarious and (3) becomes uncertain, which would potentially lead to a loss of (5) and the wilderness of the real world.

What half the UK may want is irrelevant to BoJo, CHunt, or The Saj at this time, they're only interested in winning the contest (in the national interest, of course).

It's only important to the rest of us because the winner of this contest will be our PM for a couple of years, rather than merely the leader of a party.

But for the candidates (3) is for tomorrow and (6) is a given, ‘cos you know, the country can’t do without them.

Right...

Surprised that only Raab went yesterday, thought he would have been joined by Javid and possibly Stewart.

Anyone know what the minimum threshold is for today's cull ?

Some interesting observations and comments about the BBC leadership debate:
Who's Backing Who After Raab -
View attachment 399514
Andrew Neil (@afneil) | Twitter
Agree with Neil ref Boris; but he was not there to win it - just avoid losing it. He stayed broadly on message and was unfailingly courteous to the other contenders.

His only minor slip was appearing to have forgotten Imam Abdullah's name, which then threw him a bit when Maitlis insisted on rubbing it in....

Alamo

LE

Care to substantiate that? Or is it one of the 42% of statistics that are made up on the spot?

I suspect imam abdullah may wish his own name was forgotten sharpish. Tedious as faceache is it does light friend imam up as a jew hating twat quicker than our good somalian buggers off to america having made it through sport UK.

One wonders WTF the Tories are playing at with the rules of this leadership elation.

2019 Conservative Party (UK) leadership election - Wikipedia

Why the hell are they giving the membership a month to vote when it could be done and dusted in a week?

We Brexit without a deal on 31st October and the incoming PM will need as much time as possible to see if he can get the EU to budge of the WA. Yet the Tories are wasting 3 weeks of that time on an necessarily prolonged ballot of the party activists.

Sir Graham Brady seems a spectacularly useless waste of space, incapable of running a bath without adult supervision.

Wordsmith
Its keeping us all occupied and 'makes Brexit not happen' seems to be the intent.

I can see Gove offering his support and supporters to the guy that will give him a good Cabinet post! Slimeball!
We agreed last round its just a matter of time.. My suspicion all along was Gove would swing behind Javid with Rory as an outsider, but that seems to have reversed.. I suspect Hunt will have to offer Gove one of the senior cabinet positions to buy him off. The treasury would be the obvious one, with Hammond moving to the foreign office.

All this and the party cares nought for the country, its truly laughable.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
We agreed last round its just a matter of time.. My suspicion all along was Gove would swing behind Javid with Rory as an outsider, but that seems to have reversed.. I suspect Hunt will have to offer Gove one of the senior cabinet positions to buy him off. The treasury would be the obvious one, with Hammond moving to the foreign office.
That assumes Hunt actually gets the top job.
  1. BoJo is ahead by a country mile in the MP's voting and will make it into the last two barring a major gaffe on his part.
  2. Every poll of the Tory activists says he'll romp home by a a large margin in the membership vote.
Which is why BoJo is odds on favourite with the bookies and the rest of the field are at long odds.
All this and the party cares nought for the country, its truly laughable.
What planet do you live on? The Tories will do the best job they're capable of in managing the country - if only to ensure they get re-elected. To think otherwise is to reach Baglock levels of stupidity.

Wordsmith

Blogg

LE
Rory Stewart is trying to be the “different one.”
He’s removed his tie, he’s not conforming to the prevailing footrest norms and looks like a puppet with its strings cut when he hangs his head as someone else is talking.
Hmmm, what's going on inside his head?

Happily the Interweb has the answer:

IMG_20190619_083758.jpg

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
My money is still on a Hunt/Johnson run off.

Stewart is the Tory candidate that people who would never vote Tory like most; he's had the seal of approval from Ken Clarke AND Heseltine; the man's a liberal, his only chance is if all the other faux Tory MPs club together behind him which I very much doubt they're going to do. he's the extreme remainer option whose plan is to carry on where May left off. As I've mentioned before he's basically the grown up afterbirth of Tony Blair, with Tony's voice and mannerisms, and a weirdly melted-face resemblance to the great communicator. His messianic persona slipped last night and he was by far the chippiest candidate on the stage. He isn't a safe bet, and non-conviction MPs (Ie: liberal Tories) really like safe bets. They thought May was a safe bet, and that's how we got here.

Hunt is dull as ditchwater, a Remainer and was loyal to May beyond the point of reason but those LibTories know he's a safe pair of hands who, if Boris explodes at some point might just be in with a shot. He's been quietly impressive on the podium s so far, hasn't really put a foot wrong and is unlikely to do so. But he does look like Norman Bates, and those eyes have definitely got some helter-skelter in them.

Gove is very impressive, saying all the right things and making good points, almost becoming the leading candidate on the stage, and could easily garner more votes and make it to the final two; right up to the moment whoever is watching blinks, shakes their head and thinks, "What am I thinking? Not Gove, the man's a backstabbing shit who nobody in their right mind would trust."

To my mind Javid has been sidelined and left behind in both debates, no matter how many times he's mentioned he used to get up an hour before he went to bed and lick road clean wi't tongue, whilst being racially abused, he just HASN'T cut through with any memorable utterances. He'll be off next round.

Boris Johnson, as someone has already said on here, just has to not lose. at the moment he's doing an admirable job of keeping himself on a tight leash and not going to his comfort zone of flying off into amusing hyperbole riffs (keeping that bottled up for PMQs against Steptoe, hopefully). His performance last night was a solid B+, he made a few good points, wasn't overly shouting others down, and most importantly blunted all the attacks made against him (most by Maitlis it seemed to me). It's still his race to lose, but if he carries on like this, it will be a stately procession to No 10.

My money is still on a Hunt/Johnson run off.
***Snigger***

Gives the BBC the excuse to drop as many rude words as possible and blame it on men usually saying it

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
[Excellent post - snipped for brevity]

Boris Johnson, as someone has already said on here, just has to not lose. at the moment he's doing an admirable job of keeping himself on a tight leash and not going to his comfort zone of flying off into amusing hyperbole riffs (keeping that bottled up for PMQs against Steptoe, hopefully). His performance last night was a solid B+, he made a few good points, wasn't overly shouting others down, and most importantly blunted all the attacks made against him (most by Maitlis it seemed to me). It's still his race to lose, but if he carries on like this, it will be a stately procession to No 10.
Much of the commentary on the Tory leadership campaign (as with much of the rest of politics) is media froth. Said media make a mountain out of a molehill out of every minor slip or new policy statement. In reality the media debates will have minimal influence on the end result - although the newspapers and TV channels like to think otherwise. In reality, Joe Public can have no influence on the leadership election and won't care much about the run up to the result; only that the new Tory leader is (a) competent and (b) delivers Brexit.

For all the bollox about Stewart (or Hunt or Gove) has momentum, BoJo is in number 10 unless he makes a monumental gaffe.

Wordsmith

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jimmy_Green The Intelligence Cell 1299
Auld-Yin The Intelligence Cell 843
Auld-Yin The Intelligence Cell 493

Latest Threads