Votes: 37 33.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
AY and myself both suggested that our very own Machivellian/Gove will be the determining factor, as he either backs Rory or Hunt, will determine the final line up,
I can see Gove offering his support and supporters to the guy that will give him a good Cabinet post! Slimeball!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just watching the self-serving postmortem on Newsnight. The narrator said something about it, ‘being hard to pin candidates down to give answers.’ Then showed Maitlis interrupting someone trying to give an answer!
That was like Daily Politics today with JoCo. It was a particularly fractious show with panellists talking over each other and getting told off by Jo for doing so; then towards the end of the programme she tried interrupting a panellist who told her off after her previous admonishments! Give her her due she took it and sat back.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
One wonders WTF the Tories are playing at with the rules of this leadership elation.

2019 Conservative Party (UK) leadership election - Wikipedia
The first ballot was held on 13 June, with subsequent ballots being held on 18, 19 and 20 June. The first membership hustings is scheduled for 22 June and the ballot of the membership will take place over the following month, with the winner announced on 22 July.
Why the hell are they giving the membership a month to vote when it could be done and dusted in a week?

We Brexit without a deal on 31st October and the incoming PM will need as much time as possible to see if he can get the EU to budge of the WA. Yet the Tories are wasting 3 weeks of that time on an necessarily prolonged ballot of the party activists.

Sir Graham Brady seems a spectacularly useless waste of space, incapable of running a bath without adult supervision.

Wordsmith

That was like Daily Politics today with JoCo. It was a particularly fractious show with panellists talking over each other and getting told off by Jo for doing so; then towards the end of the programme she tried interrupting a panellist who told her off after her previous admonishments! Give her her due she took it and sat back.
Maitlis is also hosting a Newsnight panel of candidates’ supporters- she kicked off by saying that she hoped they wouldn’t all talk over each other as happened in the leadership debate- she’s talked over all of them since...

I can see Gove offering his support and supporters to the guy that will give him a good Cabinet post! Slimeball!
Over the years it's been chronicled in Private Eye his penchant for trying to undermine his colleagues to advance himself.

He was apparently kicked out of the cabinet at one point because he refused to get rid of his coterie of what were described at the time as 'attack dogs'.

IMO expending energy briefing against your colleagues is a piss-poor way of making sure everyone is onside and just breeds resentment waiting for an opportunity.

Personally, I think he's more toxic than BJ, and that's saying something.

If as mentioned BoJo supporters are tactically supporting Hunt I can see Gove publicly supporting BoJo and privatley supporting anyone who will give BoJo a run for his money. In this case it looks like Stewart especially as he seems to be the 2nd Choice in The Shires.

IF Javid withdraws pre-vote there are 63 votes up for grabs

So top three tomorrow Bojo followed by Hunt/Stewart.

Remember it about
1 winning
2 if not 1 then shafting the one you like least
3 keeping the Tories in power
4 Brexit
5 Keeping their jobs

6 the country

Paul Temple Walt.
(Plays ‘Coronation Scot’)
I had to look up Paul Temple; it meant nothing to me.

I guess that when I posed the questions I had the intro to Soap going through my head.

Confused? You won't be.

I didn't get to watch the debate as I was out but caught about 5 minutes of it on the car wireless and the odd snip on the BBC news channel when I got back.

Watching the BBC debate, and as mentioned earlier, Maitlis is all over Boris like a rash, she invites him to speak and then talks over him.
I expected that to be the case. It seems to be the agenda with someone the beeb doesn't like that they set them up with a question where they are hoping to get a controversial answer and when they don't get the answer they want they'll cut the speaker off before a complete answer is given.

One wonders WTF the Tories are playing at with the rules of this leadership elation.

2019 Conservative Party (UK) leadership election - Wikipedia

Why the hell are they giving the membership a month to vote when it could be done and dusted in a week?

We Brexit without a deal on 31st October and the incoming PM will need as much time as possible to see if he can get the EU to budge of the WA. Yet the Tories are wasting 3 weeks of that time on an necessarily prolonged ballot of the party activists.

Sir Graham Brady seems a spectacularly useless waste of space, incapable of running a bath without adult supervision.

Wordsmith
I don't think Boris will need much time to get the EU to budge, it should simply be a case of:

"You know the WA will not be passed by Parliament with the backstop included. You therefore have two options a) remove the backstop, in which case I can put the new WA to Parliament and expect it to be passed or b) we leave on the 31st October. I await your response."

A 10 minute phone call should suffice.

Remember it about
1 winning
2 if not 1 then shafting the one you like least
3 keeping the Tories in power
4 Brexit
5 Keeping their jobs
6 the country
1 & 2 are all about 5

6 is well placed; it's a distant concern to personal ambition.

3 is unimportant; the trough feeds regardless.

4 just allows for 1 enabling 5.

You have to remember that Maitless, she of the hard face and short skirts, has an earpiece, and the producer is prompting her all the time to interrupt and repeat inane questions to throw the speaker. God, she is arrogant. It was a pathetic show.
And where the hell did the BBC drag out that freak show of questioners. One looked like a witch from Macbeth and another had a funny hat, and then there was the child. The chap from Oxford was approaching normal (missed the rest)
The whole format was bone, they had about 25 people teed up on camera when there were only 6 questions, and whatever question was asked in a neutral manner by the 'public' Maitlis the reasked it in a different way and started reading quotes from Boris from her notes. She did do that once with Hunt as well, but the other 3 got a free pass.

I don't think Boris will need much time to get the EU to budge, it should simply be a case of:

"You know the WA will not be passed by Parliament with the backstop included. You therefore have two options a) remove the backstop, in which case I can put the new WA to Parliament and expect it to be passed or b) we leave on the 31st October. I await your response."

Trouble is, the backstop's a red herring. The real nastiness that hamstrings the UK is in the rest of the WA.

Yepp a 10 min phone call....
That will kill 86% of UK Trade stone dead.
Credit rating will plummet as the UK will have defaulted.
No one who has a trade deal with the EU will do one with the UK (500million customers trump 60 million)
Pound will fall and UK cost of living sky rockets.

After that the EU will start to play hardball.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Yepp a 10 min phone call....
That will kill 86% of UK Trade stone dead.
Credit rating will plummet as the UK will have defaulted.
No one who has a trade deal with the EU will do one with the UK (500million customers trump 60 million)
Pound will fall and UK cost of living sky rockets.

After that the EU will start to play hardball.
Why don't you stand for the leadership of the Tory party - you've got all the answers.

Wordsmith

Trouble is, the backstop's a red herring. The real nastiness that hamstrings the UK is in the rest of the WA.
I agree though little has been made of it.

However, if the backstop is removed the politicians can say the have delivered Brexit and carry on jogging. If we get stiffed further down the line it won't matter to them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jimmy_Green The Intelligence Cell 1299
Auld-Yin The Intelligence Cell 843
Auld-Yin The Intelligence Cell 493

Latest Threads