• McVey

Votes: 34 22.1%
  • Raab

Votes: 72 46.8%
  • Stewart

Votes: 27 17.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Boris all the way. If I have to watch politics, might as well make it fun and entertaining.
and cringe-worthy, embarrassing and more painful than it already is.

Is entirely possible, that Boris make deliver BREXIT, but will still continue to divide the Tories and the backbiting and briefing against him will continue

Until his first policy announced was a tax cut for rich people. Sorry, no. We need to be helping out the squeezed middle and lower income brackets, raising the minimum wage further and helping out actual hard-working families who have been hit by stagnant wages and rising costs and who are finding it impossible to save properly or put enough into pensions.
Just remind yourself who's got the vote to give Boris the Premiership.

His tax policy is aimed at the 100k+ Tory grass-root party members who earn that sort of money, many in retirement. It's not aimed at anyone not carrying a Conservative Membership card

Is entirely possible, that Boris make deliver BREXIT, but will still continue to divide the Tories and the backbiting and briefing against him will continue
Boris Johnson is the only Tory leadership candidate capable of beating both Jeremy Corbyn and the Brexit Party, according to new polling which suggests he would win a crushing 140-seat majority for the Conservatives at the next general election if he was elected Prime Minister.
Boris Johnson on course for 140-seat majority at general election if he becomes Tory leader, poll shows

Never underestimate the depths that Politico's will plumb to remain in power. Regardless of how much it stinks or they disagree with it.

Just remind yourself who's got the vote to give Boris the Premiership.

His tax policy is aimed at the 100k+ Tory grass-root party members who earn that sort of money, many in retirement. It's not aimed at anyone not carrying a Conservative Membership card
In which case we risk a return to the early 90’s, when the Tory party increasingly became seen as the party of the well-off, with scant regard for anyone else. Conservatism is not a dirty word, but oh my days by the time Blair hopped into number ten how long did it take the Tories to get themselves together?

Boris starts his campaign today, and for the long term sake of his party - to say nothing of people in this country that really could use a hand - I hope he knows that he’s supposed to be the leader of everyone. Not holding my breath though...

Liz Truss just made a pigs ear of trying to pre-launch Boris' campaign on R4 Today. Humphreys stood his ground and made an issue of Johnson's integrity and honesty.

Laughably and ironically, in the absence of Johnson doing any interviews since May stood down, Truss said 'Ask me the Questions' and then proceeded to avoid answering any of them. She just threw out the usual 'great London Mayor' soundbites and said he was a 'fantastic' Foreign Secretary. I believe that Nazanin Zaghari Ratcliffe would disagree

Of course the reality is he doesn't have to appeal to, or curry favour to anyone except this MP colleagues and the card carrying Tory's. The sensible thing for him to do is say virtually nothing and ride the popular wave until the last two to be put before hustings.

Fixed. The only thing Boris had to do with bike hire was to unveil them. The scheme was planned by Red Ken the newt handler.
Actually:
"I feel bad about knocking one of the London left's most cherished articles of faith – but Ken Livingstone did not "hand over" London's public bike hire scheme to his successor and Boris Johnson did not "steal" the idea from him (Diary, 20 June). The Tories proposed a public cycle hire scheme in London on 12 September 2007. It took until the following February for Ken to make a similar commitment – seven-and-three-quarter years after he became mayor – and no work was done to implement it in the three months before he left office. The only thing he handed over to the new City Hall team was a well-stocked wine cupboard.
Andrew Gilligan
Cycling commissioner for London"

Letter published in the Guardian, 2014

Lies denigrating a Tory in London? Heaven forfend!

In which case we risk a return to the early 90’s, when the Tory party increasingly became seen as the party of the well-off, with scant regard for anyone else. Conservatism is not a dirty word, but oh my days by the time Blair hopped into number ten how long did it take the Tories to get themselves together?

Boris starts his campaign today, and for the long term sake of his party - to say nothing of people in this country that really could use a hand - I hope he knows that he’s supposed to be the leader of everyone. Not holding my breath though...
The last thing after years of austerity and Brexit uncertainty is for an Eton & Oxford educated potential PM to feed the media one policy that purely benefits 'the wealthy'

To me that's a huge mistake, and will not endear him to the public if or when he becomes PM. Labour should be all over this, 'Toff for the rich etc.' But of course, his intention is to ultimately become PM, the survival and longevity of which is another issue. He has to get their first.

I think you'll find whoever wins the contest the in-fighting will continue. Unfortunately, over the years, the tories appear to have been infiltrated by people who would appear to be more suited to the Lib Dems, Ken Clarke is one, and they've destroyed the Conservative Party. The Conservatives have always disagreed on membership of all things Europe, the intensity grew after Ted Heath conned the country into the EEC (helped by the French refusing several times to let us in) and it ramped up again with the complete and utter failure of successive UK governments failing to reform the EU into something less costly and more transparent.

Boris will continue to be knifed by some in his own Party even if he is successful as Party Leader and gets the tories a good GE win. Unfortunately that's the kind of person he is, Marmite.

With regard to the bit in bold, I'm sorry but I just don't recognise this at all. I know Labour continually portrayed them as such at the time, and still do, but I benefitted quite a lot throughout this period and I was very far from rich and had a young family in tow also. I do remember seeking out supermarkets when they reduced stuff, freezing bread etc, but for us that started in the 80's and continues to a smaller extent today.

Those knocking Boris also keep mentioning how he needs to be a Leader for all socio/economic groups. The same could and should be said for anyone attempting to lead a political Party or the UK. I certainly wouldn't accuse Jeremy Corbyn of being a Leader for all in either Party, Country, Socio/economic groups, races or ethnicity.

Liz Truss just made a pigs ear of trying to pre-launch Boris' campaign on R4 Today. Humphreys stood his ground and made an issue of Johnson's integrity and honesty.

Laughably and ironically, in the absence of Johnson doing any interviews since May stood down, Truss said 'Ask me the Questions' and then proceeded to avoid answering any of them. She just threw out the usual 'great London Mayor' soundbites and said he was a 'fantastic' Foreign Secretary. I believe that Nazanin Zaghari Ratcliffe would disagree

Of course the reality is he doesn't have to appeal to, or curry favour to anyone except this MP colleagues and the card carrying Tory's. The sensible thing for him to do is say virtually nothing and ride the popular wave until the last two to be put before hustings.
And personally I'd consider that a much more intelligent approach that his fellow applicants who's approach seems much more akin to a Party Political presentation coming up to a GE.

Boris has it nailed in his approach as far as I'm concerned, but then I quite like Boris, am a Leaver rather than a Remoaner and would prefer whoever wins to be judged on their record as PM rather than personal or Brexit related bile.

Unfortunately that's the kind of person he is, Marmite.
A lying scheming shagging underhand self-serving Marmite. Just thought I'd add that

And before the 'Yeah but all MP's are like that' from the usual crowd. No one lies, or gets caught out lying or has managed to hang onto what is a less-than-mediocre political career more than Johnson.

He epitomises all that is bad about modern Politics. He's the populist, shallow, lack-of-substance sort of politician that has become the norm since the Millennium. Trump and the Ukrainian actor are others that come to mind

He may trounce into Nº10, but I'll wager that he'll makes a pigs ear of it, and given anyone but the Marxist Catweasle as the leader of the opposition, he won't stand a chance in the GE.

Yes, thats what I understood him to say as well. My first reaction was that that would get him thrown under one of his own unreliable buses; but then I remembered that you and I don't get a say in this. The vote for this country's next PM will be decided by just 120,000 people - the Tory party members, a large proportion of whom will be in that income bracket and won't give jack shit about the poor plebs who'll be financing their tax reduction. Jolly good wheeze, eh?
....as apposed to 4 or 5 million £3 party members.....

Boris has it nailed in his approach as far as I'm concerned
That's interesting comment. Care to elaborate?

I think he's doing an 'Abbott', in that he's avoiding proper interviews or proper scrutiny. Time will tell though given his launch is today

Of course the reality is he doesn't have to appeal to, or curry favour to anyone except this MP colleagues and the card carrying Tory's.
That is true of course, regardless of the candidate, regardless off the candidates campaigning style and by and large, regardless of the electorate's opinion. Why should it be any different this time? The selection of a party leader has always been an internal party matter.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jimmy_Green The Intelligence Cell 1136
Jimmy_Green The Intelligence Cell 406
Auld-Yin The Intelligence Cell 844