Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Johnson

Votes: 107 97.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Mrs S thinks one of the spoilt ballot papers was Rory voting for himself.

Mrs S thinks one of the spoilt ballot papers was Rory voting for himself.
He'd be demanding a 2nd leadership election next, as Rory didn't know who he was voting for

Most worrying: Johnson @17m 55s "We will not leave without good terms which protect EU and UK"
Of major concern - even grave concern - was today’s Politics Live on BBC 2 (Thursday 20 June 2019).

Andrew Neil extracted from a Boris supporter (EDIT: Damian Collins MP), to acknowledge - reveal - that Boris is ONLY using the THREAT of a HARD BREXIT, to persuade the EU to (re-)negotiate a change to May’s “Withdrawal Agreement” . . . . and . . . . that the ONLY item that would need to be (re-)negotiated, was the Northern Ireland “back-stop”, which would have to be time limited.

Apparently, Boris is minded to, content to, push such an “amended” agreement through the HoC!!

Acknowledging that May’s “Withdrawal Agreement” is BRINO (BREXIT In Name Only), “tinkering” with only ONE unsatisfactory item of the agreement’s contents is NOT what the electorate voted for . . . in the Referendum, or in the recent EU Parliamentary Elections!!

Thankfully, Ann Widdecombe MEP, was also on the panel, and reminded the rest of them, and the viewers, of this . . . although not as forcibly as could/might have been done!

Over the next four weeks of the Tory Party’s “hustings” to elect their next leader, it is to be hoped that every effort will be taken to establish what is the intention of the final two candidates . . . and, are they really prepared to accept the challenge given to them by The Brexit Party, of delivering a HARD BREXIT, and ONLY a HARD BREXIT.

Last edited:
Of major concern - even grave concern - was today’s Politics Live on BBC 2 (Thursday 20 June 2019).

Andrew Neil extracted from a Boris supporter, to acknowledge - reveal - that Boris is ONLY using the THREAT of a HARD BREXIT, to persuade the EU to (re-)negotiate a change to May’s “Withdrawal Agreement” . . . . and . . . . that the ONLY item that would need to be (re-)negotiated, was the Northern Ireland “back-stop”, which would have to be time limited.

Apparently, Boris is minded to, content to, push such an “amended” agreement through the HoC!!

Acknowledging that May’s “Withdrawal Agreement” is BRINO (BREXIT In Name Only), “tinkering” with only ONE unsatisfactory item of the agreement’s contents is NOT what the electorate voted for . . . in the Referendum, or in the recent EU Parliamentary Elections!!

Thankfully, Ann Widdecombe MEP, was also on the panel, and reminded the rest of them, and the viewers, of this . . . although not as forcibly as could/might have been done!

Over the next four weeks of the Tory Party’s “hustings” to elect their next leader, it is to be hoped that every effort will be taken to establish what is the intention of the final two candidates . . . and, are they really prepared to accept the challenge given to them by The Brexit Party, of delivering a HARD BREXIT, and ONLY a HARD BREXIT.
I warned people this was the state of affairs and turned into a fig8 on the Round 3 thread.... At least the man will irritate the hell out of the establishment and what we can get from brexit will have to do. If not farage is on his flank and waiting.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Now it’s getting really silly .
What has Bojo promised Colonel Bob.
“One quick way of me assessing people is whether I would trust them with a platoon of 36 soldiers if they had to do an attack”

Tory MP and ex-Army officer Bob Stewart on why he’s backing Boris Johnson as Prime Minister

bbc.in/2IU6DQV #VictoriaLIVE

It might not be as simple as that.
  1. The Tory party knows not delivering Brexit will result in electoral oblivion. To quote m'learned friend @FORMER_FYRDMAN , any Tory MP opposing Brexit will qualify for the Order of the Lemming with oak leaves and swords.
  2. In the past, Parliament was voting down a flawed WA - now they'll be directly opposing Brexit
  3. The risk for the opposition parties is that BoJo maneuvers them into blocking an agreed Brexit. He then cuts a pact with the Brexit Party and goes to the country as the only party committed (with TBP) to delivering Brexit. That may well result in a working majority.
  4. A working majority and 5 years of BoJo will be the end of Labour - they'll have moved so far to the left under Steptoe, they'll be un-electable 5 years down the road.
Wordsmith
A little bit of man-wee came out when I was reading that. :)

I warned people this was the state of affairs and turned into a fig8 on the Round 3 thread.... At least the man will irritate the hell out of the establishment and what we can get from brexit will have to do. If not farage is on his flank and waiting.
But . . . but . . . BUT . . .

If Boris "shafts" us/the UK, with the slightly amended WA/BRINO, it really does not matter what happens with The BREXIT PARTY at the next General Election, 'cos they/no-one, will then be able to re-negotiate an unsatisfactory agreement that is already in place :( .

The BREXIT PARTY, really must use everything they can to remind everyone of this over the next four week's "hustings" :( .

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
But . . . but . . . BUT . . .

If Boris "shafts" us/the UK, with the slightly amended WA/BRINO, it really does not matter what happens with The BREXIT PARTY at the next General Election, 'cos they/no-one will then be then able to re-negotiate an unsatisfactory agreement that is already in place :( .

The BREXIT PARTY, really must use everything they can to remind everyone of this over the next four week's "hustings" :( .
Four weeks if hustings? I don't know when the ballot papers will be sent out, but I expect fairly quickly and most people will vote straight away and post back. I also suspect most people's minds were made up the day the candidates were announced : either BoJo or the person who came second to get their name on the ballot paper! BoJo is the PM in waiting!

My forecast is that BJ will be voted in, The EU will **** him off at the high port for any renegotiation, Parliament will block a no deal exit and he will be faced with an election that he will lose or a second referendum.

The emperor of Brexit will fail to deliver Brexit and will carry the can for it.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
My forecast is that BJ will be voted in, The EU will **** him off at the high port for any renegotiation, Parliament will block a no deal exit and he will be faced with an election that he will lose or a second referendum.

The emperor of Brexit will fail to deliver Brexit and will carry the can for it.
BoJo can prorogue parliament - declare that the current session is at an end. If he does it at the beginning of October, and parliament does not sit again until 1st November, we automatically leave the EU at midnight on 31st October.

That stunted sh!t Bercow say he won't allow parliament to be prorogued. The Attorney General (Geoffrey Cox) says it can be. Given that one is a qualified lawyer and one is not, I'm putting my money on Cox being right.

In addition, until now, parliament has been voting down May's flawed WA. If BoJo makes a determined effort to execute Brexit, it'll only be thwarted by the combined efforts of the opposition. Bear in mind what happened to the Tory vote when May failed to Brexit on the 31st March. That anger would transfer to the opposition parties who had stopped actual Brexit. I suspect BoJo would go the the country, possibly in alliance with TBP, with the strong possibility he could form a government with the support of TBP. The opposition parties would then be looking at a Brexit they could do nothing to stop and another 5 years of Tory government.

The opposition parties are going to be very wary of stopping Brexit.

Wordsmith

You will be proved wrong as the UK and EU negotiate a deal which passes parliament and gets the UK out of the EU properly.

Both sides must have realised now that this is the best outcome for both sides.

My only hope is that we get out before the euro and numerous economies implode.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

That’s a bit pessimistic, let’s just give who ever wins a chance, don’t forget there is a new bunch of chaps who will be negotiating for the EU as well.

BoJo can prorogue parliament - declare that the current session is at an end. If he does it at the beginning of October, and parliament does not sit again until 1st November, we automatically leave the EU at midnight on 31st October.

That stunted sh!t Bercow say he won't allow parliament to be prorogued. The Attorney General (Geoffrey Cox) says it can be. Given that one is a qualified lawyer and one is not, I'm putting my money on Cox being right.

In addition, until now, parliament has been voting down May's flawed WA. If BoJo makes a determined effort to execute Brexit, it'll only be thwarted by the combined efforts of the opposition. Bear in mind what happened to the Tory vote when May failed to Brexit on the 31st March. That anger would transfer to the opposition parties who had stopped actual Brexit. I suspect BoJo would go the the country, possibly in alliance with TBP, with the strong possibility he could form a government with the support of TBP. The opposition parties would then be looking at a Brexit they could do nothing to stop and another 5 years of Tory government.

The opposition parties are going to be very wary of stopping Brexit.

Wordsmith
I hope we live to see that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jimmy_Green The Intelligence Cell 406
Auld-Yin The Intelligence Cell 844
Auld-Yin The Intelligence Cell 498