• Hunt

Votes: 73 66.4%
  • Javid

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Johnson

Votes: 107 97.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I find it amusing that all those who complained that Trump won the US election but didn't win the popular vote and how can that be right, now have to accept another change of PM without any sort of say in it at all.
We don't vote for Prime Ministers in this country. We vote for political parties.

Unfortunately, I think supporters of Johnson, will vote to place Hunt in the final 2 as Johnson and his supporters fear a clash with Gove more than with Hunt.

/
I find it amusing that all those who complained that Trump won the US election but didn't win the popular vote and how can that be right, now have to accept another change of PM without any sort of say in it at all.
You may be surprised to know we do things differently here.

Interestingly enough, the other day I saw a artists drawing of what the USA would look like if the electoral colege is binned as the far left Democrats are currently attempting to do - in essence there would only be 4 out of the 51 states whose vote would ever count in any national election (New York, California, Florida, Texas) and 3 of them are basically hard left like London.

1561032960221.png

For comparison, this website
1561032618837.png
shows the map of the USA depicting the 2016 election by how states and counties voted - Hillary was absolutely smashed geographically and by numbers of counties and states

1561034453219.png

A little off topic here, but all I see when I look at the picture of Hunt that is gracing most articles is Rimmer from Red Dwarf. I keep waiting for him to salute.

Back on topic now.

The negotiations could be productive. The EU often complained that May didn't know what she wanted from the negotiations. In addition, she acquiesced in a very poor WA that had all the advantage on the EU's side without considering the practicalities of getting it through Westminster.

The EU will now be dealing with someone (BoJo) who has a clear idea of what he wants from the WA. He'll also send over a senior minister to lead the negotiations (bye-bye Ollie Robbins) and that minister will keep the Cabinet fully briefed - no more May BS and lies.The EU will also know that BoJo's red lines are absolutely that and he won't be bullied out of them. They'll also know he's genuinely prepared to leave without a deal if necessary.

As such, I think negotiations will be hard-headed and at times acrimonious. I also think an acceptable WA will be hammered out at the last minute and that'll pass Parliament.

However, we have to remember the WA is only a transition agreement and and not a FTA. So after the WA has been renegotiated, the whole merry-go-round of negotiations starts again.

Wordsmith
The WA as it stands is little more than an unbreakable oath of fealty to the EU.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately, I think supporters of Johnson, will vote to place Hunt in the final 2 as Johnson and his supporters fear a clash with Gove more than with Hunt.
And feck it all up with Johnson coming in third with Grove and Hunt going off to the party.

Now that won’t happen, however with these numbskulls voting you never know.

Interestingly enough, the other day I saw a artists drawing of what the USA would look like if the electoral colege is binned as the far left Democrats are currently attempting to do - in essence there would only be 4 out of the 51 states whose vote would ever count in any national election (New York, California, Florida, Texas) and 3 of them are basically hard left like London.

View attachment 399774

For comparison, this website View attachment 399770 shows the map of the USA depicting the 2016 election by how states and counties voted - Hillary was absolutely smashed geographically and by numbers of counties and states

View attachment 399776
The "far left" Democrats? Really?

Shush. If you’re quiet and listen really hard, you might just be able to hear the sound of my point whooshing many miles above your head.
Oh, I got your feeble point OK, but it's abundantly clear that you didn't get mine. That sound you're hearing is actually my point whooshing over your own head.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't think BoJo is particularly worried who he faces in the grass roots vote. Every opinion poll suggests the grass roots (who are largely in favour of Brexit) will go big time for Boris.

The only real question in this leadership contest was whether BoJo would implode and fail to reach the last two. By keeping his gob shut, he's substantially reduced that possibility.

BoJo will prefer Hunt as his opponent, as the margin of victory will be crushing - as merely opposed to huge over Gove (who has not been forgiven for stabbing BoJo in the back in the previous leadership contest).

Wordsmith

The "far left" Democrats? Really?
If you can't/don't want to see that the Democratic Party in the US is lurching towards the far left, then maybe you need to take another look.
Look especially at the madness that comes out of the mouths of the two darlings of the Democrat Party, namely Ilhan Omar and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
They make Diane Abbott seem totally rational.

I don't think BoJo is particularly worried who he faces in the grass roots vote. Every opinion poll suggests the grass roots (who are largely in favour of Brexit) will go big time for Boris.

The only real question in this leadership contest was whether BoJo would implode and fail to reach the last two. By keeping his gob shut, he's substantially reduced that possibility.

BoJo will prefer Hunt as his opponent, as the margin of victory will be crushing - as merely opposed to huge over Gove (who has not been forgiven for stabbing BoJo in the back in the previous leadership contest).

Wordsmith
I don’t doubt that Johnson will win.
The fight for the next month with Gove will be savage and much more personal, which Johnson will not want.
I believe that Hunt would be more polite and respect boundaries.

Look especially at the madness that comes out of the mouths of the two darlings of the Democrat Party, namely Ilhan Omar and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
1561037886042.jpeg

They may be pinko dung trumpets in their own right but you've over-reached there, old chap...

If you can't/don't want to see that the Democratic Party in the US is lurching towards the far left, then maybe you need to take another look.
Your definition, or perception, of far and hard left differs rather radically from mine, I'm afraid.
Left in relation to US politics, maybe, but rather more centric compared to other countries, including UK.
The Conservatives would be regarded as left wing in the States.

It will be interesting to see which way this afternoon's vote goes now that Javid is eliminated. Where will he and his supporters cast their votes?

Although Gove has slightly crept ahead of Hunt I still think Hunt will be the one to make it to the final two.

Gove is the most pro-Brexit of the two but has form for knifing Boris in the back. That may appeal to the Boris-haters and those who think he is the best placed candidate to stop Boris, but equally so back-stabbers aren't particularly well thought of. It may well cost him that final spot.

Hunt is a remainer in the mould of PMTM, having voted against leaving in the 2016 referendum and advocating a second referendum on the terms of any exit deal. He has since changed his stance and is now pro-Brexit but I am not convinced he is a true believer. I think he is the one the remainer Tory MPs well get behind.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I don’t doubt that Johnson will win.
The fight for the next month with Gove will be savage and much more personal, which Johnson will not want.
I believe that Hunt would be more polite and respect boundaries.
Fair points, but BoJo may prefer Gove as his final opponent. A crushing defeat would make Gove realise how little support he has in the grass roots and hence it is not worth maneuvering for a future shot at the leadership.

Wordsmith

Last edited:
Fair points, but BoJo may prefer Gove as his final opponent. A crushing defeat would make Gove realise how little support he has in the grass roots and hence it is not worth maneuvering for a future shot at the leadership.

Wordsmith
That's my hope.

Gove and self-awareness aren't often seen in the same city though....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jimmy_Green The Intelligence Cell 406
Auld-Yin The Intelligence Cell 844
Auld-Yin The Intelligence Cell 498