Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Johnson

Votes: 107 97.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
You know, whilst I think they're all a waste of oxygen, at least with BoJo, you'll get entertain as he bounds from one embarrassment to the next.
BoJo may surprise you. He starts with as number of advantages over the late and unlamented TMPM.
  1. BoJo is a committed Brexiteer, not a closet Remaimer like May. He genuinely wants out of the EU - unlike May, who was trying to leave through gritted teeth.
  2. He's watched May's fornicate ups at close quarters and is probably astute enough to avoid repeating them.
  3. When he says he's prepared to do a no deal Brexit, the threat is credible to the EU.
  4. Although he'll say different in public, I suspect his default is a no deal Brexit - which will be well understood by the EU. They know they'll have to give ground to avoid it.
  5. BoJo will negotiate more robustly. I suspect the £39 billion will be off the table until the backstop is removed and the EU will get it in dribs and drabs as they give multiple concessions to get it.
  6. Providing he makes a genuine attempt to get a revised deal from the EU, he'll have the bulk of the Tory party behind him. Even the most ardent Remainer is aware no deal is preferable to electoral wipe out.
  7. He'll have a Brexit supporting cabinet - and he'll get it onside. Unlike May, who didn't want to tell the cabinet anything due to the utter f--- up she was making of the negotiations.
  8. Telling the EU to do one will be electorally popular. I expect a BoJo broadside aimed in that direction within a couple of weeks of taking office.
  9. He'll have a strategy for taking the UK out of the EU. May's only strategy was to lurch from disaster to disaster.
  10. He'll also make robust preparations for a no-deal Brexit. If nothing else, it's a threat to hold over the head of the EU. If we do do a no deal Brexit, we'll be better prepared for it than after May's half-arsed attempts.
For an added bonus, I look forward to the likes of Spreadsheet Phil glowering at BoJo from the back benches. And Ollie Robbins and Mark Sedwill seeking new careers outside of the civil service.

Wordsmith

BoJo may surprise you. He starts with as number of advantages over the late and unlamented TMPM.
  1. BoJo is a committed Brexiteer, not a closet Remaimer like May. He genuinely wants out of the EU - unlike May, who was trying to leave through gritted teeth.
  2. He's watched May's fornicate ups at close quarters and is probably astute enough to avoid repeating them.
  3. When he says he's prepared to do a no deal Brexit, the threat is credible to the EU.
  4. Although he'll say different in public, I suspect his default is a no deal Brexit - which will be well understood by the EU. They know they'll have to give ground to avoid it.
  5. BoJo will negotiate more robustly. I suspect the £39 billion will be off the table until the backstop is removed and the EU will get it in dribs and drabs as they give multiple concessions to get it.
  6. Providing he makes a genuine attempt to get a revised deal from the EU, he'll have the bulk of the Tory party behind him. Even the most ardent Remainer is aware no deal is preferable to electoral wipe out.
  7. He'll have a Brexit supporting cabinet - and he'll get it onside. Unlike May, who didn't want to tell the cabinet anything due to the utter f--- up she was making of the negotiations.
  8. Telling the EU to do one will be electorally popular. I expect a BoJo broadside aimed in that direction within a couple of weeks of taking office.
  9. He'll have a strategy for taking the UK out of the EU. May's only strategy was to lurch from disaster to disaster.
  10. He'll also make robust preparations for a no-deal Brexit. If nothing else, it's a threat to hold over the head of the EU. If we do do a no deal Brexit, we'll be better prepared for it than after May's half-arsed attempts.
For an added bonus, I look forward to the likes of Spreadsheet Phil glowering at BoJo from the back benches. And Ollie Robbins and Mark Sedwill seeking new careers outside of the civil service.

Wordsmith
11. Boris is a Classicist - as was Enoch Powell. Another plus.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Oh f f s, what were you up to at seventeen and a half, Adrian Mole !
Personally, I was working for a living, getting drunk and shagging anything female!

Wordsmith
His biggest advantage is he will run rings around Corbyn both at the despatch box and in the media... Possibly the worst thing about boris is it might finally convince the labour party to ditch corbyn.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Vote tomorrow and Friday, lady one to the tree and back gets binned.

Final two go to party vote from 22 June, result on 22 July.
What’s this a party you say:-?

Youtube

Tory Leader Debate round two BBC 18/06/2019

Note: Audio starts at 1m 20s; "Debate", then after debate @1hr uploader comments

@16m
Blacked up Francesca from QT spouting bollocks

@19m
Hunt: "EU say we must decide what to do on NI/RoI border"

Answer: Nothing

Then all the BA/GFA bollocks about closed border again. I regularly drove from Belfast to Dublin 1993-1996 (before BA/GFA} and no checks, stops etc.

UK GDP ~£2 Trillion; NI/RoI trade £4 Billion - if EU close border it's a nothing

Border is an EU red-herring to divert attention from the WA evils

Did Matlis, Gove et al not watch BBC4 Brexit - Behind Closed Doors (on youtube)

@43m
Iman Abdulla - "BBC apologises for not researching him" - imo a lie, they knew exactly who he was

Matlis: Nazanine... imo Johnson told truth in his commons speech

@52m
Global Warming - all want to destroy UK economy and our lives even though UK CO2 emissions is ~1% of world

Hunt: "Doing something vs doing enough" - whatever we do is inconsequential and Gov't/state sadism.

Sheep, sheep, sheep again: sheep meat so important to GB/NI farmers we import it from New Zealand. FO it's a sympathy virtue signal big nothing to prevent Bexit. If EU slap tariff on it, sell to Rest of World (RoW)

I thought the C4 "Debate" format was bad, BBC was even worse. BBC & C4 intention was to make all candidates look bad is my conclusion.

All candidates spewing platitudes and virtue signalling; none of above as PM

Nigel Farage for PM

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
His biggest advantage is he will run rings around Corbyn both at the despatch box and in the media... Possibly the worst thing about boris is it might finally convince the labour party to ditch corbyn.
Running rings round Corbyn is an irrelevance. The only thing that matters over the next six months is delivering a successful Brexit. That has to be BoJo's only focus.

If BoJo doesn't deliver Brexit, he could run rings around Corbyn and do somersaults over the top of him, and he'd still lose 200 seats in the next GE.

Wordsmith

Boris will become PM. It’s likely a deal will de done?the EU certainly won’t want a no deal Brexit.
I thought as a mayor he wasn’t too bad, better than Khan by a mile, which isn’t hard though.
As for the other candidates;
Javid- Not popular enough
Gove- Not liked enough
Hunt- Will come second

Labour will never get in with Corbyn as leader, not sure why the left can’t see that.

As for the next GE in 2022, who knows?

Labour will never get in with Corbyn as leader, not sure why the left can’t see that.
I thought May's idea was to call an early general election and see Labour literally wiped out . As it turned we almost had a Labour/SNP co-al . In fact it Sturgeon hadn't shouted "This election is all about a second indy ref" at every opportunity that's what might have happened .

When you have two unelectable parties running for government general elections become a literal lottery

As for the next GE in 2022, who knows?
As a Tory voter, I would prefer to see Labour put a decent candidate up as their leader. Yes we all laughed when Corbyn was voted in, but it has backfired in a big way. Without effective opposition, you end up with piss poor government.

I would far rather see Boris as PM with JRM as Deputy or Home Sec on one side. And someone like Hillary Benn on the opposite side making considered and accurate critisism. I want to see an opposition leader keeping the government honest and on it's toe's.

This country needs 10 years of good leadership. LEADERSHIP!

I don't care what colour rosette they wear. I just want someone who will carry out the will of the Brexit vote and do everything they can to improve the country and sort out the mess that has been made over the last few years.

As a Tory voter, I would prefer to see Labour put a decent candidate up as their leader. Yes we all laughed when Corbyn was voted in, but it has backfired in a big way. Without effective opposition, you end up with piss poor government.

I would far rather see Boris as PM with JRM as Deputy or Home Sec on one side. And someone like Hillary Benn on the opposite side making considered and accurate critisism. I want to see an opposition leader keeping the government honest and on it's toe's.

This country needs 10 years of good leadership. LEADERSHIP!

I don't care what colour rosette they wear. I just want someone who will carry out the will of the Brexit vote and do everything they can to improve the country and sort out the mess that has been made over the last few years.
I could just imagine JRM as PM facing Hilary Benn as leader of the opposition. It would be the politest PMQs ever.

You know, whilst I think they're all a waste of oxygen, at least with BoJo, you'll get entertain as he bounds from one embarrassment to the next, and that yes, the BBC will be shitting bricks.

That's priceless in my eyes.
Don't forget the meltdown of biblical proportions that will befall the Graun.

Not only priceless, but also well deserved.

Tory leadership candidates are threatening to boycott further BBC TV debates over the corporation’s “biased” handling of Tuesday night’s hustings.

A BBC plan for a Question Time programme with the final two candidates, and for one-to-one interviews with Andrew Neil, is in serious doubt as a row about vetting rages on.
There should be no threat about it. It is difficult to imagine that this was not deliberate by the BBC. No further participation should even be considered.

The only threat that should be heading the BBC's way is '' Sort yourself out in the next 6 months or say goodbye to the licence fee ''

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jimmy_Green The Intelligence Cell 406
Auld-Yin The Intelligence Cell 844
Auld-Yin The Intelligence Cell 498