Tory "gun nut" axed

The reaction

• Totally reasonable; all FAC holders are potential child killers and should be chipped

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reasonable; he looks like a nutter, and nobody that looks like that should have guns

• Unreasonable; it's his "perversion" and he should do it in private, like the uphill gardne

• Totally unreasonable; he's done nothing wrong, but silly to have put the piccy in a position to be l

• Total voters
Well, a picture of an FAC holding Tory parliamentary with his legally held firearms has been leaked, and the candidate has been axed... More Michael Coward knee-jerking (oh, like the 88 and 97 acts then???)... Is this what we can expect from a prospective Tory govt? He's been treated as if it were a picture of him doing boy scouts up the hoop. I shall be writing to my MP...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005030393,,00.html

Looks like he's got:

Win 94 or Marlin underlever
Ruger Old Army or Remmy 1858 muzzleloading revolver
Armscor .22rf AK-47 lookalike
Taurus long-barrelled revolver
and a couple of other unidentifiable rifles

(edited for title)

E

error_unknown

I think it's time we got around to boycotting the Sun. It's a snivelling hypocritical rag which will do anything to show a profit whilst foisting Murdoch's repellent political views on the rest of us. It uses the Army as a plaything: lots of 'we support our lads' crap at the start of operations; no support further down the line with it's 'All officers are incompetent lying toffs, all 'squaddies' are drunken, sex-crazed mongs' approach.

If those few firearms make him a "gun nut", they'd really go spinning out of control if they saw my collection. :wink:

I am so glad I live in Florida.

Just the sort of CRAP you might expect from the Sun of course. And as for politicians, well never let "Band Wagon" go by without trying to be on it!

Firehorse said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/berkshire/4186841.stm

Oulds states the guns aren't even his. :roll:

It was time to leave this country long ago....
Am posting a correction to the BBC, who said in that article that he had an "AK-47 assault rifle"

Your story states that Mr. Oulds is posing with an AK-47 assault rifle, and that the weapons were all licenced. This is incorrect, the AK-47 lookalike is an Armscor AK-22, and is a .22" rimfire "AK-lookalike". In addition, an AK-47 assault rifle is not legal in the UK (and has not been since 1936, since it is fully automatic), therefore cannot be "licenced". Therefore your article is both misleading and factually incorrect.
I did get a correction published a few months ago about the beltway killers: the BBC story said that they had bought the rifle from such-and-such a gunshop, when in fact they had stolen it. I doubt I'll get one here, unless lots of other experts also send in corrections...

On a positive note, at least these might actually be live, as opposed to the media putting up pics of deacs and claiming/implying they're live.

In my book he has to be a bit of a t*sser - if he doesn't shoot and the guns aren't even his why the pose and photos?

Walt

My e-mail to my MP:

Dear Rt. Hon. Andrew Mackay,

I was rather dismayed earlier to hear that Mr. Oulds has been de-listed from the Slough seat and is tipped to be fired, because photographs of him posing with legally held firearms have been leaked to The Sun. Is it normal to sack a candidate for doing nothing illegal? Has hysteria over firearms reached such epic proportions that, a mere century after the government's desire for "a rifle in every cottage", a candidate is treated like a paedophile for posing with firearms?

This worries me somewhat, since I was under the impression that the Conservative party had reformed its attitude somewhat towards the private ownership of firearms since its two knee-jerk reactions to the Hungerford and Dunblane killings, and had promised to blame us and harm and our sport no further. But suddenly Michael Howard knee-jerks again over this! This is not the considered reaction which one would expect from a party intent on governing, unless the New Labour project has moved the goal posts on rational debate to the extent where the Tory leader feels he needs to out-kneejerk the Government.

It is also worth noting that shooting is an Olympic sport, several disciplines of which are illegal to practice in Great Britain (i.e. the pistol disciplines), which is not in keeping with the Olympic ideal of "Sport for All". Given that Britain wishes to host the Olympics in 2012, and the Conservative party hopes to be in power at that time, perhaps such a response towards somebody being photographed with what are essentially sporting items would be ill-advised? This leads me further to disapprove of the Olympic bid, on top of the fact that our pistol shooters are prohibited from practicing.

Whilst I appreciate that you support sports shooters, I am no longer sure as to the position of the upper echelons of your party's leadership.

Yours sincerely,

The Man of Stoat (of course I put my real name...

mind you the tory Party have some strange people in prospective Tory MP for peacehaven turned up to do a charity abseil 150 ft down a cliff and cried like a girl and had to be dragged back up tosser :(':evil:')
mind you none of the other local politicans turned up rope cliff sharp knife they may be stupid but not that stupid ':twisted:')
Twisted Evil

stoatman said:
It is also worth noting that shooting is an Olympic sport, several disciplines of which are illegal to practice in Great Britain (i.e. the pistol disciplines), which is not in keeping with the Olympic ideal of "Sport for All". Given that Britain wishes to host the Olympics in 2012, and the Conservative party hopes to be in power at that time, perhaps such a response towards somebody being photographed with what are essentially sporting items would be ill-advised? This leads me further to disapprove of the Olympic bid, on top of the fact that our pistol shooters are prohibited from practicing.
My sentiments exactly, Stoatman. Why should we support the Gov't when the Gov't won't support its own electorate in trying to excel in their chosen field and represent the country (and, by definition, the Government!) on the World Stage?

On a slight tangent;

I find it incredible that a serving member of HM Forces was denied a FAC for a Target Rifle (.22" - Target Rifle a la Olympic Shooting) purely (so it seems) on the grounds that he could not guarantee that no-one else could gain access to the rifle - (He made the mistake of telling the Firearms Enquiries Officer he intended to store the weapon in the Unit Armoury!!

I personally have stored private shot guns in a military armoury, and at least 2 seperate FEO's have both considered this as acceptable! Is this just another move by the B@stards in Blue to prevent ANYONE from possessing a Firearms Licence? Surely the fact that most people within HM Forces are trusted with Firearms and ammunition on a regular basis should reflect positively on their suitability for a FAC?

I await the wisdom of the populus of ARRSE to point out the (probably obvious) flaw in my idea...

GR

I kept my pistol in the arms kote for many years and the local plod were very happy. The face on the guy who came out to inspect the security arrangements was a picture when he saw a coys worth of wpns. Are they real he asked?

The big problem with FAC rules is that they allow interpretation by middle ranking police officers. One Northern Force had a man i/c firearms who would not let anyone hold a FAC unless they were part of a club. He actually refused a cert to a policeman from a neighbouring force who had a very good reason to own a wpn and to a barrister who wanted the pistol for the Bisley team. The copper joined a local club, and the barrister had a word with someone less over promoted and both FACs were allowed.

Meanwhile the details of the FAC of the murderer of Dunblane remain a state secret for 100 years. Why?

Has anybody tried getting Thos. Hamiltons records under the ne Freedom of Information Act? They would probably fail but you might get some interesting related documents with a broad enough request.

Qute frankly I'm sick and tired of the Howards endless knee-jerking.

Ghost_Rider said:
I personally have stored private shot guns in a military armoury, and at least 2 seperate FEO's have both considered this as acceptable! Is this just another move by the B@stards in Blue to prevent ANYONE from possessing a Firearms Licence? Surely the fact that most people within HM Forces are trusted with Firearms and ammunition on a regular basis should reflect positively on their suitability for a FAC?
Ah, but are you? Unless I'm much mistaken, you'll have problems being trusted with both the keys/codes for the armoury and the keys/codes for the magazine....

Anyway, having been a reference for several FAC applications, the police are generally impressed by the words "sensible", "reasonable", and "experienced". I did a mate's application, and the mention of his TA experience appeared to impress the PC doing the followup interview.....so yes, your wish is granted :)

It varies from Force to Force; we're lucky; our licensing branch is pretty damn good (polite, timely, reasonable, etc, etc). And for those who doubt the utility of the OTC, the "new" licensing branch officer spent several happy years in one twenty years ago, and so was not completely gobsmacked by "ooh it's a gun" when he took on his new job. That, and I've still got the photos of him :twisted:

A lot of shooters think that a tory government are their saviours when (and if!) they ever come back to power.
Sadly with Michael Coward as the leader they are in for as tough as time as we have had to date, there will be more stringent controls on reloading (buy those primers now!) and the health and safety issue for black powder users is getting to the stage where they may even demand a bunker in the garden to store it, as long as you don't have another property whithin five miles.
On the plus side if Coward cuts as many government jobs as he says he is there wont be any bugger left in the heath and safety executive to carry it out. :D

Most of the restrictive gun laws imposed on normal law abiding people, and FAC requirements were laws were imposed (no matter what Western country) based on "feelings" of what might happen rather than a rash of recurring events.
There actually is a movement that coaches the anti-gunners on a global level, travelling from country to country holding seminars on "how to" Canadian and Australian anti-gun groups are heavily involved.

The UN will have a worldwide gun registration in place if they get their way.

The reply from my MP:

Dear Mr Stoat,

Thank you for yesterday's email. As Deputy Chairman of the Party in
charge of candidates I have been closely involved with the Oulds case.
He had sent these bizarre photographs by email to a large number of
people and frankly I think he did harm to the Conservative party and
also the shooting community. Incidentally he is not a licensed holder
or
part of that community.

I took advice from a number of friends and acquaintances who shoot
prior
to taking a decision to remove him from the candidates list and they
unanimously felt that this should happen and that he has bought your
sport into disrepute.

Let me emphasise again what you already know namely that as a Party we
are strongly supportive of your sport and believe that much of the
recent legislation has counter productive.

With best wishes etc etc etc.

Latest Threads