Tory Councillor serving with Parachute Regiment

#2
#3
Good on the bloke - anyone know him?
 
#4
1










Anyone know anymore?
 
#5

Guns

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#6
He's my local guy. Ex Royal Marine and now TA Para Lt Col. Nice bloke and got my vote. Cares about the area and is very much in to helping with problems. Has a good support organization in Plymouth from the Tories so no snags him being away.
 
#7
While the story is rare, I would be shocked to the core is he was anything but a Tory.
 
#8
Yep, as previosly posted, he is working at TF Helmand HQ.

Linky

Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel David Reynolds, said
Fair play to him for keeping up the day job though.

Frankie
 
#9
TA WO on TELIC was in the same position - STRE and had a day job, that is done by about 15 people in the UK - top bloke and like Lt Col Reynolds, keeping in regular contact with the full-time employer, and his electorate. Good effort.
 
#10
Rothney said:
While the story is rare, I would be shocked to the core is he was anything but a Tory.
"rare"? oh, sorry, you're right, there are loads of Socialist local politicians doing their bit in Helmand, far more than the "Tories"

Really? How back-people-into-a-corner of you.

Who cares what his politics are?

He might have been a LibDem for all you know, like Paddy Pantsdown, seemingy a marine type.
 
#12
Just out of sheer interest......can anyone name a single current Labour Councillor who's served on Tour. I can think of one Liberal councillor from Hull.......
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#13
A councillor doing his bit for his community in representing his people, and doing his bit for his country in the Armed Forces.

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that does.

Now, about Gordon Broon . . .
 
#14
Kitmarlowe said:
Just out of sheer interest......can anyone name a single current Labour Councillor who's served on Tour. I can think of one Liberal councillor from Hull.......
Isn't Gordon Broon on tour at the moment, or is that on holiday, I am not too sure but I am sure that he is full of self importance and a prize cnut
 
#16
londonirish said:
Rothney said:
While the story is rare, I would be shocked to the core is he was anything but a Tory.
"rare"? oh, sorry, you're right, there are loads of Socialist local politicians doing their bit in Helmand, far more than the "Tories"

Really? How back-people-into-a-corner of you.

Who cares what his politics are?

He might have been a LibDem for all you know, like Paddy Pantsdown, seemingy a marine type.
No, he is a Tory, hence the title.

Yes, of course it is rare. There are a few councillors in HM Armed Forces (TA), and you're right some of them are non-Con. But the chances are, it will be a Tory. This isn't political discrimination, it's just fact. Let's be honest, I can't realistically envisage officers (TA or Reg) being Liberal/Labour supports can you? If they do follow politics, they're likely to be Telegraph readers and centre-right minded.
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#17
David Reynolds: nice bloke and a member of MOG (V); IIRC his day job is running a military photographic library. It's worth remembering that at least two Tory MPs have done op tours in the last few years: Desmond Swayne MP (Yeomanry Major) was MND (SE) LO to the Italian Bde on Telic 2; Mark Lancaster MP (RE Major) did a few months in Afghanistan on Op HERRICK.
 
#18
Yes, and scores of Tory MPs have historically attended RMAS, including the renowned Patrick Mercer MP.

But as somebody above has said, its not about politics it's about serving. But it is surely worth discussion, the political imbalances of forces' personnel in both local authorities and parliament. It's not as though any of the current Cabinet was ever so much as an Army Cadet yet the tory benches have a noticable number of ex soldiers.
 
#19
cpunk said:
David Reynolds: nice bloke and a member of MOG (V); IIRC his day job is running a military photographic library.
David picked up the QVRSM a couple of years ago. In 'real life' he runs DRA who did the Battle for Helmand book in 2007 and stepped in at the last minute to rescue the TA100 book pretty much at cost, after the intended publishers went into receivership.

Top bloke who cares passionately about the TA.
 
#20
Mark Lancaster, Tory MP for Milton Keynes North East is a TA major, in EOD, and has served in Helmand.

His previous life prior to Westminster was running the family fireworks company!
 

Latest Threads

Top