Torturing Teachers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by RP578, May 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Further to the recent case of a teacher cleared for attempted murder after using a dumb bell for some behaviour correction; Rowan Pelling writes about how torturing teachers is an age old sport. More interesting though is one of the comments that follows:

We had a few nutters in my comp too, though in fairness we did push one of them into a nervous breakdown.

2. My school had a cheery little foreign-language teacher who also had no problems with discipline. Turns out that a couple of the bigger boys also discovered it wasn't wise to annoy an ex-RM.

OTOH, we had a new physics teacher who made the mistake of telling us that he'd done his MSc in a lab with lots of high voltages around and that, consequently, sudden bangs made him nervous. Big Mistake. I assure you that there was no proof that I wired up the Van de Graaff generator to the physics lab door handle before he came in ... :twisted:

3. Funny you should write that. My Old man ( RIP ) was also WWII ex RM. In the 60s he qualified as a teacher and became deputy head of an approved school called 'St Thomas Moors' in S,Devon. Occasionally a new kid who didn't know any better would try to take a swing. Big mistake!! :D

4. Tormenting certain teachers was a pastime for some kids in my day. But they had nasty little ways of retaliating and I think some enjoyed it a bit too much. I remember one kid being told to stand in the corner at the front of the class, part of which was a large built in double cupboard, the top door of which was open. The kid was in the corner doing the usual, pulling fantastic mong faces behind the teachers back. He caught on due to all the sniggering from us and the pretend horrified looks from the class sneaks. He strode over to the prat, bellowing "turn your stupid face round." The kid did so and the teacher proceeded to hold him by the scruff of the neck, whilst repeatedly slamming the cupboard door on his head. We absolutely wet ourselves laughing, I still remember it, one of the funniest things I've ever seen. :rofl:

PS. Unlike today, if we complained to parents, we took another belting at home. Way to go.

5. The latin teacher at my school got pelters and had a nervous breakdown, which had a profound effect on the ones who inflicted the torture. They all experienced remorse and a life lesson.

The man was slightly built and always smartly turned out but his obvious natural bent towards academia was his only crime for the adolescent bullies. Perversely the teenagers involved were in the upper level in the school grading so it's not just down to sink estate culture (or whatever the housing schemes were labeled in the 70's).

6. How long does an average fight last? A couple of minutes, tops in playgrounds, pub car parks, football terraces? Have you ever seen a 25 minute pagga?

Michael Jackson (no relation!) had issues. Ugly, ginger, eczema, coke bottle specs, clothes from Oxfam etc; and not unsurprisingly a very bad temper.

Mr Burgess, Slight, balding, eccentric and with strange mannerisms.

Well these two spent 25 minutes wrestling, punching, gouging, biting each other in one of our science lessons, and the whole class looked on in highly amused and attentive silence. Nobody stepped in on either side, both being pretty unpopular characters. In the end a supply teacher passing by outside saw what was going on and pulled them apart. Jackson then grabbed a heavy apparatus stand and smashed a large plate glass window and jumped through and ran off. He was never seen at the school again. I hear he's in a mental hospital now!

I have never seen anything like it since.

7. I heard on the radio about one class who had a new, inexperienced female supply teacher.

Halfway through the lesson she was called out to speak to someone so, the classroom being on the fourth floor, one of the kids opened a window, ran down the stairs and outside where he lay sprawled on the ground underneath it

Teacher returns to shouts of 'Miss, Miss, Johnny's just committed suicide', looks out of the window, sees the lad lying there 'dead' and runs screaming from the school, down the road never to be seen again.

Class!

8. As a teacher I can quite honestly say that some kids can be little ba**ards sometimes. If a teacher shows any sign of weakness then kids will work at it. We had a music teacher some years ago (only lasted a year!) and the sport was to make him cry! Mind you I can remember my Home Ec class when I was at school making the teacher cry! It doesn't take long for them to gang together to make someones life a misery - girls being by far the most spiteful. Supply teachers are also fair game.
    It is very difficult as a teacher not to take things personally sometimes, especially when little Johnny gets stand right in your personal face, squares up and tells you you're a f***ing prick (I thanked him very much for his intelligent input and contribution to the lesson, at which point he looked slightly confused before walking out the room with the compulsory slam of the door!).
    There is very little that schools can do with some children (and that's not an advocation for bringing back the cane - although the thought has passed my mind on the odd occasion!). I can understand (but not advocate his reaction) how that particular teacher got so wound up by a group of kids bullying him, it can feel very lonely sometimes if you're the only person in a room with 30 kids, especially if they've decided to gang up against you. The person who had my classroom before me was an RE teacher, I keep finding little '666's' engraved in window sills and scratched in chairs and tables, it became a sport to wind her up, when she inevitably came out the room in tears the class would barricade themselves in! Or if a senior teacher was called down, they would suddenly behave like angels to make the teacher look incompetent. Not suprisingly she left the profession.

9. One of the major problems with schools are that there is no "top cover" from the Senior Management Team (SLT); who seem to have forgotten they were teachers once. Kids can behave as they like and it is the teacher who gets it in the neck when a child takes a disliking to them.

In inner city schools, they have Police officers who are stationed at the school. This can cause a problem as when a pupil commits and offence the SLT fail to inform the said officer. I have mates who have been punched, kicked and tied to chairs.

The second major problem is attitudes towards teacher. They are educators! Not the fun police! The sooner people see that the better. I am not saying that all teachers are fantastic. As an ex “Pads Brat” I went to many crap schools with bad teachers who see you as some nuisance that ruins their day. When will the “I was a right shite and ruined my teachers life” end.

10. When power is handed back to the Teachers, I personally was caned a few times, it taught me not to be cheeky etc, kids don't change, its the rules that have changed.
    I knew a few Teacher that only lasted a few years before leaving, many said there was no back up or support, no sanctions on the little darlings, to act as an deterrence, if they did anything, the School inevitably tries to brush the problem under the carpet hoping it will go away.

Unless this addressed it will get worse, by then it will be too late, the future will be filled with uneducated teenagers, perhaps we should start teaching high school level of education at Junior Schools ? this way you have a fairly compliant kids with brains like sponges and not as badly behaved.

11. Oh, don't get me started. Schools are not the problem. "The apple does not fall far from the tree” is a classic statement which really rings true. It is the parents responsibility to bring up children, not the teacher. It is the teacher’s responsibility to educate and inform.

This does not help when mongoloid parents provide excuses for their little darling’s behaviour. Some even provide alibis for absenteeism or flakiness. This is probably a wider subject. Parents, do your society a favour and “teach” them values, respect and give them “barriers”. Yes, they will be a rebel, but your guidance of social acceptance comes from an really young age. Get it right really young and you will not have problems later on. And for god sake, have pride in having knowledge rather than berating those pupils who want to get on in life.

12. I think it would be fair to say that in the majority of cases what happens at home has a direct impact on how a student responds to adults in school. It may not be down to bad parenting, but merely circumstances e.g. parents seperating, doesn't make them bad parents, but can have a significant impact on any children involved.
    Conversely it would be wrong to ignore the impact of poor teaching in the classrooms, it does happen, it could be because of any number of things, but by and large comes down to a lack of strategies for classroom management. Personally I find a healthy dollop of sarcasm goes a long way!

13. Whilst accepting that parents have a major part to play in determining the behaviour and ethics of their children, I noted distinct changes in their behaviour when they go to school and get let loose in the company of those little horrors who should probably have been locked up in Marwell Zoo's snake pit rather than inflicted upon polite society.

14. Sarcasm will loose the respect of the child. It is like saying "There are the boundries for you but I do not have any boundries. What lesson is that teaching. Cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound is not the way forward.

15. "Oh it is not my childs fault, it is the other children that make then a nightmare". Would you rob and assualt people in the street because you see other people do it. Moral guidance is the key. If everyone had a compass then we would not need to tell people the way.