Torture techniques taught at Chicksands

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by redgrain, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Torture techniques taught at Chicksands

01 May 2008
    By Catherine Varney

British troops who used banned torture methods on Iraqi prisoners were '100 per cent Chicksands' - it was claimed this week.

The Joint Committee on Human Rights heard on Tuesday from leading human rights solicitor Phil Shiner that the soldiers carrying out these torture methods were trained at the Defence Intelligence and Security Centre at Chicksands. (DISC)

Five techniques, branded 'inhumane,' that Mr Shiner said were taught at the Mid Beds DISC base included hooding, forcing detainees into stressful positions, sleep depravation, food deprivation, and noise.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: ""During both tactical questioning and interrogator training courses, students are taught their legal obligations under domestic and international law, including the Geneva Conventions, additional protocols and the European Convention on Human Rights.

"This is applied defence-wide with one dedicated tri-service training programme delivered by the Defence Intelligence and Security Centre. (DISC)

"Students are assessed during the course on the understanding and application of these principles.

"The procedures of the Armed Forces body that undertakes interrogation are conducted entirely within UK domestic and international law.

"UK training and guidance applies to all UK tactical questioning and Interrogation operations irrespective of the theatre."

Mr Shiner adressed MPs and members of the House and Lords saying: "The information I have is evidence in the court martial where you get the finger pointed at Chicksands.

"A Colonel Baker says that he was told that what was going on, hooding and stressing was, quote: '100 per cent Chicksands'.

http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/Torture-techniques-taught-at-Chicksands.4042852.jp

2. At least there is no mention of 'waterboarding' - not a torture method at all, unless you are the one it is being done to. :wink:

The question is, whom do you believe here?

3. That cnut shiner again on his one man crusade.

4. By who??

5. I've heard of quite a few inhumane techniques at Chicksands..............

...............mainly from the instructors!

Is that my coat?

Thankyou.

TAXI!

6. If that cnut shiner came to my house he would learn what real torture is ignorant lefty rabble rousing tw@t

7. Aren't those all fairly mild interrogation techniques with the exception of food deprivation? I agree with all of those methods anyway, but why don't these people concentrate on places like Langley where such techniques, and worse, are definitely being taught?

8. I'd enjoy torturing Mr Shiner.

9. I suppose Mr. Shiner is referring to these provisions (and others) under the Geneva Convention:

Article 3, section C
    "...the following acts are and shall remain prohibited at any time and in any place whatsoever..."
    "(c) Outrages upon personal dignity, in particular, humiliating and degrading treatment;"

Article 13
    "Likewise, prisoners of war must at all times be protected, particularly against acts of violence or intimidation and against insults and public curiosity."

Article 17
    "No physical or mental torture, nor any other form of coercion, may be inflicted on prisoners of war to secure from them information of any kind whatever. Prisoners of war who refuse to answer may not be threatened, insulted, or exposed to any unpleasant or disadvantageous treatment of any kind."

10. Unfortunately the techniques were banned by the PM in the 70s when it came out they were used against PIRA suspects.

No further comment

Ish.

11. And I expect he fully supports his friends slitting peoples throats for the camera,

what a pathetic little tosser he is,

12. But not all enemy combatants qualify as prisoners of war, and as such are not entitled to the protection of the Geneva Convention.

13. You are correct:
    PM Heath, in the beginning of 1972, said that such techniques (hooding; subjection to noise; deprivation of sleep; stress positions; deprivation of food and drink) would no longer be allowed. These techniques were banned from use by the military and security forces and the ban is still in effect.

14. You are referring to the nebulous term 'unlawful combatant'?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.