Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by McVitie, Jul 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm having some trouble with these. I managed to download an episode and when i go to play it, i can hear the sound but no picture. Blank screen.

Any thought's on this? I play the tv episode's in window's media player. Am i missing a codec or whatever? :roll:

Thank's in advance.
  2. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

VLC media player.

Nuff said.
  3. That going to fix it? Just changing the player?
  4. Agreed, VLC player is great. I couldn't get my head round AVI files until a friend recommended this player, now I play nearly everything ok. Windows media player is rubbish sometimes, and I rarely use it nowadays for vids.
  5. Ok, thank's chap's will download.
  6. You could also try DivX player. regularly updates to the lastest codecs, and windows media player uses the codecs as well.
  7. VLC Player worked. Cheer's for that.

Next question. Downloaded these episode's, how would i got about burning them on to a disk? Do they need any special program's or anything?
  8. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Nero Vision. Download Nero 7.8.5 via torrent. Allegedly.
  9. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Also depends what you mean - to play from a DVD player? Then Nero vision is your man, you can add menu's, chapters, etc.

If your dvd player supports divx / xvid, then just burn it as a data disk.

However, if you have a couple of quid spare, invest in one of these:
    Clickety click

Play all your downloaded stuff straight through the TV, no discs, supports HD, wireless, etc, etc, i've got one and its the mutts nuts.
  10. Yes Fugly, to play from a DVD player. Nero still do it then?
  11. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Yep. Download Nero 7.8.5, Nero Vision is included as part of the package.
  12. It may not be that simple, sometimes you have to fix the audio or the video and audio will be out of sync.

If thisis the case then:

a. Extract the audio track (virtual dub)
    b. Fix the audio if needed (AC3 fix, or virtual dub conversion to 44kps)
    c. Encode the avi and new audio (TMpeg Encoder)
    d. Make into a dvd using nero or TMpeg DVD

Task complete.

I used to go through this hoop to make dvd's from downloaded avi's, but now i just use my pc to stream staright to my xbox 360, saving a condierable amount of time and hassle.

Couple this with using newzbin to find nzb's for files and newsleecher to download the files and rebuild them automatically back to the original file. The whole thing has become much much quicker.

To the point, that aside from a few irritations I would suggest that you need never buy any films or box sets again, nor wait for crappy sky to show series with 50 advert breaks 2 years behind the US. Plus you can get HD versions of the most popular things.

As an example Die Hard 4.0 is widely available in near perfect DVD (if you get the right one), allegedly.

Excellent little free tool if you are unsure if you are missing a codec etc. Will tell you what audio/video codecs are used on a file and tells you if you have it installed aswell (if I remember correctly, cant check as I am at work).
  14. VLC media player is the best as far as i know and I'm glad you got it sorted.

May I also make peeps aware that there are programs such as realplayeralternative and quicktimealternaitve which will ensure that a file requiring real player or quicktime will play but without all teh bumf and crap that is associated with the original players.
  15. just search on google "all in one codecs" - your problem will be solved