• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Tornado runs off the Runway at Newcastle Airport

Sky news are reporting that a Tornado has run off of the runway at Newcastle Airport..... I know we are short of money and real estate - but I didn't think the RAF had resorted to charter flights from Newcastle!!!

On a serious note - hope the crew are OK......

I hope the wheels are secure!
And as for all the shiney stuff in the cockpit......!!!!!

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
An RAF jet has crash landed at Newcastle Airport after apparently colliding with a bird.

Is she all right?
Does she have big norks?
Any pictures?

Interesting point.... the BBC news website has a photo which says.... "The Tornado is being made safe by firefighters at the airport" WTF does that mean?

Crusty(LE) said:
Interesting point.... the BBC news website has a photo which says.... "The Tornado is being made safe by firefighters at the airport" WTF does that mean?
Unload, followed by a load :?

Are they qualified for that? :wink:

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Mr_Deputy said:
Crazy huh? Millions of pounds of plane and training. One bird and its catastrophy.
Thousands of pounds worth of car . . . .

A few quids worth of food ingredients . . . .

Bird strike? To (badly) quote Eddie Izzard surely its more like engine suck? Do we have suicide pigeons? That would explain Dick Dastardly having an obsession with catching the pigeon, he wasn't the bad guy at all, he was trying to save humanity and we didn't realise.

theoriginalphantom said:
Bird strike? To (badly) quote Eddie Izzard surely its more like engine suck? Do we have suicide pigeons? That would explain Dick Dastardly having an obsession with catching the pigeon, he wasn't the bad guy at all, he was trying to save humanity and we didn't realise.
Oh great! Now the pigeons are being radicalised. Is there any hope for us?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Speaking of bird strikes. Got a seagull with my car last night. Hit and run, and my car still ran.

TAKE THAT YER FOOKING BSTARDS!! SH!T ON MY CAR WILL YA?

did the raf regiment provide csar ? :twisted:
hate to do e and e round Newcastle be like a zombie movie :D

heidtheba said:
Unload, followed by a load :?

Are they qualified for that? :wink:
Classic heidtheba, Classic mate.

As for the brighton hippie's later comment on E&E around Newcastle I'd sudden pictures of 28 weeks later.

Thanks lads :D

Crunchie, that area is often frequented by tornadoes, they're based at marham and leeming, so they do exercise around that area.

A fast-jet hitting a medium-sized bird at 420 kts can sustain a significant amount of damage, due to the v-squared element of the kinetic energy equation The most vulnerable area is the cockpit and it is not unknown for the bird to penetrate the windscreen and cause quite major injuries to the pilot. Aircraft have crashed when the the pilot has been incapacitated in this manner. Even if the pilot is not injured, windscreen/canopy damage can make crew communications very difficult and greatly complicate dealing with any other system malfunctions. A strike on any other part of the airframe is also treated as a significant event and the aircraft will usually divert to the nearest suitable airfield. The aircraft's handling characteristics may be affected by airframe damage so a check of response at approach speed is usually performed at a safe altitude before attempting to land

A great deal of low-flying training takes place in the Northumberland, Cumbria and Scottish Border areas, so an aircraft that has a birdstrike anywhere in that whole region would climb away from the ground and head towards the nearest airfield, which would probably be Newcastle, Leeming or Edinburgh.

In this incident it appears that a bird has broken the canopy, which would have been a very nasty experience for the crew. The subsequent 'excursion' from the runway may have been as a result of a compounding systems failure or due to crew injuries. The fire service may well be referring to the seats and practice bombs when they say it has been 'made safe'.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
brighton hippy said:
did the raf regiment provide csar ? :twisted:
No but they have parked 4 WMIK's outside Subway and the bar and are scowling at people in accordance with their SOP's
:D