Tornado foils Taliban ambush

Slow day for you? I've just lost two hours of my life watching your .gif

Now to grab a mop for the puddle of my assorted bodily fluids on the floor...

Ahh...the RAF PR machine in full swing.

Can anyone in the know and within the bounds of PERSEC tell me what product the RAPTOR pod on Tornado gives us that EO/IR pods on UASs such as H450/Reaper dont, and what the cost per hour of operating each of the platforms is?

It is clearly quite handy having something in the joint fires armoury that can cover the ground quickly and deliver the 'hard knock' in the form of Paveway, but given the smaller size of the UK AO in Helmand these days and the increasing need for precision strike is Apache and or Artillery/Mortar better suited to the job at hand ?

Which precision mortar system would that be then?
The size of the UK AO is irrelevant. The jets all belong to ISAF and can be on task anywhere in the country. Sometimes an RAF jet will be tasked iso TFH, or it will be the USAF and the Tornado will be supporting someone else.

I was more interested in the story, in the Helmand Blog, about a young Irish Guardsman who is in line for a stiff talking to, from his Mum, after she read about him chasing some taliban through an uncleared minefield.

Ahh...the RAF PR machine in full swing.

Can anyone in the know and within the bounds of PERSEC tell me what product the RAPTOR pod on Tornado gives us that EO/IR pods on UASs such as H450/Reaper dont, and what the cost per hour of operating each of the platforms is?

It is clearly quite handy having something in the joint fires armoury that can cover the ground quickly and deliver the 'hard knock' in the form of Paveway, but given the smaller size of the UK AO in Helmand these days and the increasing need for precision strike is Apache and or Artillery/Mortar better suited to the job at hand ?

Well seeing as you have all the ''buzzwords'' maybe you should tell us. Artillery/ Mortar are hardly precision, H450 is a UOR and although the operators work hard , it is a limited bit of kit. I cannot believe how stupid your question is.

delivering_capability said:
Apples and oranges.

Neither of those UAS have pods. Rather, in terms of EO/IR both provide extremely narrow field of view Full Motion Imagery (FMV) from ‘balls’.

Reaper also has Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR)/Ground Moving Target Indication (GMTI) and is weaponised.

In contrast, the RAPTOR pod provides extremely wide area still EO/IR imagery to an exceptionally high quality. Indeed, the IJC and US consider GR4/RAPTOR on a par with the U-2S.

As a VERY rough laymans indication, you’d need hundreds of UAS and many hours to image an area the size of Wales. A single GR4 with RAPTOR could probably accomplish the same task to a far higher standard in a couple of hours.

Regards,
MM

Latest Threads