Tories to sack 80% of teachers

You go from

Graduates would no longer be able to enter the profession without a high standard degree qualification.
to

mushroom said:
Tories to sack 80% of teachers
I really hope you're representing the UK at the long jump in next year's Olympics ...

They are not raising standards in schools they are doing some cheap electioneering.

If they applied this criteria to schools now they would have to sack most of the existing teachers.

mushroom said:
They are not raising standards in schools they are doing some cheap electioneering.

If they applied this criteria to schools now they would have to sack most of the existing teachers.
Uh....how does that work? Very nearly every PGCE programme I'm aware of requires a 2:2 degree for entry anyway. Which is what they're proposing.

mushroom said:

Whilst it's clearly impractical to sack most of the teachers, do you think it reasonable to maintain poor teachers who lack motivation and skill or who are just plain lazy?
If you up the entry standards then you are raising the bar for the whole profession and it would probably be much more effective than constant exams as a measure of performance.

Sorry, where did you get that 80% figure from?

Oh, that's right, you made it up. :roll:

Personally, I can't see a problem with wanting teachers to have good degrees - all too often it's what people go into when they can't actually figure out what job they want to do when they leave uni - and it should be a choice, not a last resort.

I can't really see the arbitrary sacking of people who got a job before the previous requirements came into force either...

why do stupid people even bother posting on what is obviously very poor spin, and complete crap

Mong. How can you expect those with lower standards of education to provide the same standard of teaching as those who have attained good degrees from quality universities? Here we're talking Russell Group rather than ex-polys offering "Food and Nuitrition."
Allowing teachers to restrain pupils without fear of the inevitable lawsuit from these "no-win, no fee" companies is a good idea. Obviously there will be a few isolated cases of taking it too far, but its better than teachers suffering physical injury from unruly gobby cnuts.

Erm, a little conflict in terms here....'UK' and 'quality universities' don't fit well together in a sentence these days unless it is couched in the negative.

usmarox said:
Uh....how does that work? Very nearly every PGCE programme I'm aware of requires a 2:2 degree for entry anyway. Which is what they're proposing.
doesn't account for the BEd/ BA+QTS types though where a pass or a Richard = qualified to teach

fertman said:
Erm, a little conflict in terms here....'UK' and 'quality universities' don't fit well together in a sentence these days unless it is couched in the negative.
Sure. Only 4/10 of the World Top 10 Universities, and 18 of the top 100 are from the UK. Thats fcuking appalling from a country with 60 million people. :roll:

Jungelism said:
Mong. How can you expect those with lower standards of education to provide the same standard of teaching as those who have attained good degrees from quality universities? Here we're talking Russell Group rather than ex-polys offering "Food and Nuitrition."
Allowing teachers to restrain pupils without fear of the inevitable lawsuit from these "no-win, no fee" companies is a good idea. Obviously there will be a few isolated cases of taking it too far, but its better than teachers suffering physical injury from unruly gobby cnuts.
Very easily feller, very easily. It is a common misconception that only those with First Class Honours in an academic subject from a good university can possibly be good teachers. Utter rubbish. There are so many other aspects to the job, and so many other qualities needed. The first priority in selecting potential teacher from applicants for PGCE courses should be - is this person the right kind of person to put in front of a class - do they have what it takes? You can train just about anyone to teach, but the best teachers have that certain extra quality. They are born, not made.

There are plenty of exceedingly good teachers in this country that do not have a degree at all. They must have been teaching for more than thirty years though, as the profession has been graduate entry only for many years. Indeed, in my last school the teacher with the least academic qualifications was in my opinion just about the best classroom practitioner, in a school noted for its academic reputation and excellence of teaching.

A degree is of limited value in a long teaching career. At the end of my 40 year science teaching career a lot of the stuff I was teaching was not in my education - for the simple reason that it had not been discovered when I was young. A degree might be important when a teacher enters the profession, but the really important thing is keeping your knowledge up to date.

This is a complete non-story and is just part of pre-election posturing. There'll be a lot more of it till the day after the next General Election.

Semper_Flexibilis said:

Much of the output of Teacher Training Colleges with their bare pass Degree's in nasal hair platting and other such bullshit 'degrees' couldn't even tie their own showlaces, let alone teach or inspire kids.
More important than getting an honours degree must be how they fair on the PGEC. Not every boffin can inspire and teach. Obviously a good knowledge of the subject to be taught is important but far more important is the ability to teach.

To people who already know that a 2.ii is required to become a teacher, doesn't it feel like the Tories are insulting peoples intelligence by proposing policies that already exist.

It's almost as if they think most voters are reactionary idiots who take everything printed in the Daily Mail at face value...

amazing__lobster said:
To people who already know that a 2.ii is required to become a teacher, doesn't it feel like the Tories are insulting peoples intelligence by proposing policies that already exist.

It's almost as if they think most voters are reactionary idiots who take everything printed in the Daily Mail at face value...
and even then, some people still manage to believe what they want to believe :roll:

I have to admit though, with a few exceptions the best teachers that I ever had were those who had had some life experience first, usually through working in industry (though I had one or two ex-forces ones). As someone said above, you can be the brightest person in the world but singularly incapable of teaching a class, or you can be distinctly average academically - but some 'real' experience outside of academia can often help a lot. (Not that I'm knocking you there, A_L) Degree classifications should only be a part of the selection process, and are often only really necessary to get the job in the first place - after that, it's experience and teaching ability that count.

P.S. isn't being gullible and/or reactionary a prerequisite for buying the Mail?