Tories to pull Army out of Germany.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ord_Sgt, Nov 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Good money saver, but where are they going to put them all so as not to make it a little boring?

More at the Telegraph.
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

There will be a 'Defence Review' and he will sack them all. No need then for barracks or equipment.
  3. Bah, gonna miss that LOA!
  4. The same place they have always gone, redundant RAF stations. Then when the Army are cut they are transformed into prisons to take all the ex service personnel.

Can't beat a bit o recycling
  5. I don;t think Fox wants to do that. I truly believe that he is very pro-forces and will puch hard for a budget INCREASE.

However, it may well be that Cameron has different ideas and either ignores him or gives Dr Fox an entirely different cabinet seat.
  6. Beat me to it. The Conservatives have their own backers to bribe from the public purse, after all. Same shit, different recipient.
  7. In our new EU utopia we have to abandon BFG lest the boxheads demand reciprocal rights.
  8. Bout bloody time,too.Without subsidising the german economy by billions of Euros,we might afford some decent kit for the poor lads on AS.Plenty of space in home barracks with people on tour-let 'em practise street patrols to scare the sh1t out of chavs-no gats,mind.Pick-helves would be fine though.Just keep 'em below waist height :D
  9. We wouldn’t be there now if we had been feasible in the last 20 years to get us back to the UK regardless of SOFA or any other agreement. Some of the factors to be considered are:

Successive governments under invested in and sold off Barracks and Married quarters leaving 1 (UK) Div stranded in Germany.

The MoD ids skint and therefore can not afford the wholesale investment in the above that would allow a whole division to move back to the UK.

Environmental legislation means that contaminated land has to be cleaned before it can be handed over and all MoD land is considered contaminated. The Mod does not have the mney to clean up and hand back these sites.

I fear the Tories may find it easy to ‘say ‘than to ‘do’

I also think that the good Dr Fox is being rather disingenuous by claiming that these 25,000 troops would be freed up for Afghanistan. I am sure the lions share of the 25,000 have deployed from their cold war haven to hotter climes over the last few years
  10. It sounds like a good idea in practice, but misses out all the investment in recent years, are they going to (for example) disassemble CATT and move it back to the UK?

Not to mention finding accommodation for 20,000 soldiers!
  11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

they'll move em somewhere cheaper like poland or uzbekistan, jordan is nice and sunny!

I reckon they'll suss out that the TA is a good move and turn all the tanks over to them. shame they sold all the drill halls.
  12. All those begging for a Tory govt to save the Forces, as the saying goes "be careful what you wish for - you may just get it!" the Tories will not be the Forces' friend, they never have been.
  13. To close Bruggen (Javelin Barracks) which is due to happen in 2014 is going to cost upwards of £100 million.

This is due to all the fuel issues when the RAF were in Station.

What about the cost of closing JHQ and the £8 million it is costing to sort only the housing in Innsworth, before they lease all the extra housing from the new builds to house the ARRC.

We will be paying the EU and NATO millions, if not Billions to have them in the UK.

Saving money? I think not.
  14. Heid it’s been a while mate

Yep my point exactly, easy sound bite, however the reality is very different
  15. this isnt news - been on the books for years - BFG is shrinking year on year

political spin on plans that are already being worked on

nothing to see here folks - move on