Tories take their first step towards failure.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MSSC, Mar 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I watched the news last night with disbelief. It is pretty much my opinion that the following elections were won this way:

1979 - Not Labour, 1m off unemployment
    1983 - Still Not Labour, we won the FI back
    1987 - You've never had it so good
    1992 - Not Margaret anymore, and labour still has that welsh pillock
    1997 - Not Tories, we care
    2001 - Still not Tories and we're very cool
    2005 - The Tories don't exist and we have all their policies anyway

In my view all the Tories need to do to win in 2009/10 is:

Shut up and occasionally point out that Blair/Brown are a pair of lying taxing bastards. Oh, and just before election, ask Rupert to run the Brown is gay stories. Job done.

However, with disbelief, TCCameron said that airplanes are overly pollutant and undertaxed and so we should be taxed for every mile we fly.

Whilst the argument against a disproportionately low taxation for a mostly luxury service (IF thats true) might be reasonable, and I might add that since some flights are cheaper than the accompanying air taxes - something that anyone flying Easy-Ryan-Go-Baby-Jet will have noticed and blamed on Brown (accurately) it is FCKING shocking that a Tory leader wants to 'win the green vote' by raising taxes on something that gives many of us the only bit of joy in our already over taxed lives.

I can't help but feel that by mentioning increasing a tax already applied by Labour (let alone this one, possibly the most hated tax by anyone with only a few pennies to run together for once a year 2 week sunny break in Magaluf) WITHOUT IN THE SAME SENTENCE SAYING THAT HE WILL BE LOWERING TAXES ELSEWHERE is a gaff of enormous consequences and it would appear to me that the Stupid Bastard-in-opposition might have thought this through a little bit more. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. God save us.

I do not know what I am more angry at, this tax, or the thought of a tory raising taxes - surely he really is now stealing Labour policies! DID ANYONE EVER win an election promising to raise taxes? Lord save me.
  2. To win the next elect a party needs the following:

Call a halt to immigration as the island is full.
    Make the unemployed(long term) clean the country for their benefits.
    Make prisons a place not to go back to instead of a free hotel.
    When a person is sentenced he serves the sentence, no time off for remission or good behaviour.
    Only give child benefit to the first 2 kids, anymore and finance it yourself.
    Get us out of europe.
  3. Make the argument that by lowering taxes and reducing red tape you will not cut public spending. By freeing the economy more revenue will be created thus the balance will be restored.

This really involves trusting the public to work as opposed to just taxing them to death.

Oh and decimating all non-uniformed civil servants in the original sense of the word (not HMP, medical, mil or police obviously)
  4. How about:
    Removing all the intrusive legislation, such as Council Tax inspectors having the ability to eneter your home to assess your council tax banding or Council employees having the right to enter your home if they believe you have carried out un-certified electrical work
    Pending ID Card legislation
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

So you don't want a pension then? Despite the fact that you have probably paid NIC contributions, you have not purchased an annuity from the state, those paying NIC now are paying your pension costs.
  6. fingers. Which bit are you targetting here?
    I presume the immigration?
    All that will do is move the problem down the line a bit.
  7. Mr_Fingerz

Brads - all of it. Simplistic solutions to perceived rather than actual problems, based solely on prejudice rather than facts.
  8. Who is he prejudiced against?
  9. Mr_Fingerz

In no particular order, immigrants, children, the unemployed, the prison population, and the european union.

I may or may not be a fan of any of the above, but I can argue (and have questionned Wrinkles' statements) that the points made don't stand up to scrutiny, and are badly thought out.

If you baldly state that we should call a halt to immigration because the island is full then you had better be able back it up. Similarly, statements about the prison system retaining prisoners for the whole of their tarriff take no account of the realities of an over full prison system and the need to rehabilitate as well as punish prisoners.

10. I think that's probably one of his reasons for stipulating a full sentence. Under the current regime the 'punishment' element seems to be absent, with all efforts toward getting a prisoner out on the ground asap with reductions, cuts etc. There is no 'everything in here is a privilege and has to be earned'. It is a case of 'well, you're here now and we have these courses so you don't get bored and as long as you behave yourself you'll have a third to half of your sentence. Also in the meantime we'll appeal that the sentence given you was too harsh anyway and you'll get out for time served.' There are numerous cases of violent and murderous criminals who have been released just like that whilst we have an elderly judge wanting to release those who have been 'unlucky' to have been given a sentence where 'life means jsut that'.
  11. So how does it stop my pension again?
  12. Mr_Fingerz

Not encouraging families to have children, by providing support to the mother of those children (child benefit is paid to mothers to stop feckless fathers drinking the benefit away) ensures that we have a workforce in the future. That workforce will pay your state pension (and your army one) out of their NIC contributions.

The pension system in the UK is not an annuity purchase carefully hasbanded and managed on your behalf by Groovy Gordy, it is a payment out of the global taxation pot (which is where NIC contributions go). No future population, or a smaller one, means that the funds won't be there to fund your pensions.
  13. Mr_F you seem to directly equate population size with GDP, and thus taxation revenues. This is not the case, please see Dubai. developing your economy and realising its potential whilst managing your available resources, including housing and population size, is the key to prosperity.
  14. Mr_Fingerz

I do no such thing, I was simply providing an explanation of the (current) UK pension system, and the thinking behind it.
  15. So you would just keep the population rising until???