Torch, Personal, Combat

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by walt_of_the_walts, Jul 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been given one of these free buy an army surplus dealer.

It runs on 2 AA cells and has a switch for a built-in red and green filter. Carries 2 spare bulbs, and is reasonably bright. Why has it got nearly 5ft of thin para cord atttached. 5 Feet?

Hardly a torch fit for heroes, is it? After all these years, and all of the remarkable and cheap technology now applied to torches (LEDs, luxeon bulb etc) have they come up with this cheap shit. Its a good enough design, but executed in the cheapest of materials, making it of doubtful reliability. A bit more effort would have made it very good.

I've just bougt 3 LED keyring torches for a quid in Poundland. All of them are brighter than this Torch, personal, combat

Rumour has it, they have they been withdrawn? Any truth in this?

It is marginally better than the that daft D-cell monstrosity, designed 50+ years ago, but only just.

I know this is a bit of an **** thread topic, but I am curious

2. As far as I am aware they never got issused on any great scale .
    I got a mini maglite issused to me on telic 3 doubt the army would have brought them if it had loads of those lying around .Never seen one in real life
    either issused or for sale .