Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Topple the Racists' - a sustained attack on British History

edited to add it is being considered by

Equality and Diversity (Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic) Task and Finish Group seem that there are no welsh or white people required.
What have the Finns got to do with a statue in Wales?....

dlrg

LE
It seems that Carmarthenshire County Council has tried to get away with a 'public consultation' on the proposed demolition of the Picton Monument by advertising it on the internet equivalent of an unused notice-board in a dark cellar of County Hall, behind a locked door with a sign saying 'Beware of the Leopard'... This survey (which was started 27 days ago) has just emerged and is news to everybody I know who was interesting in keeping the monument. It expires on 30th September:

Ta for that. I've just spoken with my son (who lives near the Friends Pub at the bottom of the hill from the Monument - if you know Carmarthen, you'll know where I mean). He works for CCC & was totally unaware of this.

It's a still...

incidentally, I don't think fluid is fair - if anything he was quite reticent about it all. It's about 3 pages of his own autobiography, and the biog that came along 40 years later backed it up.

I will, however, tell you just one thing about the war, my first story and my last. I was asked by some American friends to search out the grave of their son near Bastogne.
I found it where they told me I would, but it was among 27,000 others, and I told myself that here, Niven, were 27,000 reasons why you should keep your mouth shut after the war.

No, I'll stick with 'fluid', if it's all the same to you. :)

Ta for that. I've just spoken with my son (who lives near the Friends Pub at the bottom of the hill from the Monument - if you know Carmarthen, you'll know where I mean). He works for CCC & was totally unaware of this.
A mate of mine lives two doors from the Friends Arms. It's nowhere near as good for a night out since they closed the funny farm at the top of the road (it was the Welsh equivalent of Bedlam)... :)

lastcolonial

Old-Salt
Actually these `ere statues are worth a bob or two...let`s get them all down.
We should also burn all the History books......education is elitist and makes them of us who haven`t got it feel inferior...!

Sexton Blake

War Hero
It seems that Carmarthenshire County Council has tried to get away with a 'public consultation' on the proposed demolition of the Picton Monument by advertising it on the internet equivalent of an unused notice-board in a dark cellar of County Hall, behind a locked door with a sign saying 'Beware of the Leopard'... This survey (which was started 27 days ago) has just emerged and is news to everybody I know who was interesting in keeping the monument. It expires on 30th September:

I have just completed my input.

Not my best piece of rhetoric but I blame yesterday’s red wine session for that.

A poor excuse I admit but I will not stand by and allow Carmarthenshire Council to sneakily get away with this one without me standing up and showing my true mettle.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
In fairness, Niven was a nailed on joiner upper as a (relatively) recent ex regular anyway.
Nope, he was advised by the British Embassy to stay in LaLaLand, as were all Brit actors in '39. As Churchill said, "Young man, you did a fine thing to give up your film career to fight for your country. Mark you, had you not done so − it would have been despicable."

While Niven's on the page anyway, a gem from the eve of D Day to the men of his Phantom squadron:

"Look, you chaps only have to do this once. But I'll have to do it all over again in Hollywood with Errol Flynn!"
My favourite war quote of Niven's was:

"I will, however, tell you just one thing about the war, my first story and my last. I was asked by some American friends to search out the grave of their son near Bastogne. I found it where they told me I would, but it was among 27,000 others, and I told myself that here, Niven, were 27,000 reasons why you should keep your mouth shut after the war."

edited to add: Beaten to the punch by @kinross_special , but I'll leave the quote here to emphasise the point.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
@Themanwho - go on, then, chap: what do you disagree with?
My bad for putting up a movie still rather than a photo of him in his actual uniform but Niven was uncharacteristically muted about his war service - and fairly pointy it was - hence the Disagree and the quote repeated from @kinross_special

My bad for putting up a movie still rather than a photo of him in his actual uniform but Niven was uncharacteristically muted about his war service - and fairly pointy it was - hence the Disagree and the quote repeated from @kinross_special

Should have gone with this one, chap :)

1600441318992.png

David Niven, immediately post-war.

Sexton Blake

War Hero
No wonder he was quiet about his military service, with a beret like that...
Massive thread drift but while we are on the subject of David Niven......

If I had lots and lots of money there is only 1 property in the whole world I would want and that is his old gaff near Cap Ferrat. I believe he brought it off Charlie Chaplin and I have walked/run/jogged past it scores of times. I would shove all the super yachts, cars and anything else you can think of just to have this place.

Apologies again for thread drift but I would happily do a bank job if it meant I could have my final, wine infused days and nights there.

Massive thread drift but while we are on the subject of David Niven......

If I had lots and lots of money there is only 1 property in the whole world I would want and that is his old gaff near Cap Ferrat. I believe he brought it off Charlie Chaplin and I have walked/run/jogged past it scores of times. I would shove all the super yachts, cars and anything else you can think of just to have this place.

Apologies again for thread drift but I would happily do a bank job if it meant I could have my final, wine infused days and nights there.
He's in good nick there too - always thought he was a willow type, he's got some strength there.

Latest Threads