Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Topple the Racists' - a sustained attack on British History

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Back on topic.

This really is no different from the tactics used by ISIS. I realise slavery was just getting started at this sort of time, but what has the ECW got to do with it? AFAIK there were no black people involved in the ECW so why is it a target?

If black people despise our culture so much why do they choose to live here?
There's your reason why, they feel excluded! You watch, after a bit of research, it'll turn out that Cromwell was black and is the ancestor of Martin Luther King!

syrup

LE
Back on topic.

This really is no different from the tactics used by ISIS. I realise slavery was just getting started at this sort of time, but what has the ECW got to do with it? AFAIK there were no black people involved in the ECW so why is it a target?

If black people despise our culture so much why do they choose to live here?

Because they probably think the ECW was the same as the American Civil War they are genuinely to thick to know or actually take an interest in history
They only see one narrative and that's it.

BTW for those if us not interested in Bugsy can you take the mud slinging somewhere else

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm not sure, but might it have something to do with the use of the term "damn blacks"?
It was, but I'm fairly sure that close semblances to that actual phrase in recent decades and centuries have been 'perfidious Albion', 'bloody Irish', 'damned Yankees' and 'French bastards'; every nationality and race has been denounced thoroughly, by most others. The Faeroe Islanders may have escaped, I suppose, but only due to their apparent harmlessness. Africans have been roundly insulted for all of their existence, and frequently for good reason.

Starkey used the invective for emphasis, not contempt. Nowadays, a misinterpreted word or phrase from a historian, or a maliciously misinterpreted word from anyone at all can lose them their life's work, their pension and their home. We're now past the point where that became a fact, and is effectively the Law. Resistance is all we can offer. Unless you possess a SLR, but let's not go there.

First off; It happened after I left the British Army. I also wasn't at home in Ireland, but rather in Hamburg, West Germany where I was absolving my practical training as a picture-restorer.

Secondly; I had no real interest in sprinting as an athletic event. Of course, I went on regular runs to keep my fitness up and it was always good fun to practice interval sprints on the 400 m track. Just as it was fun to have a cabby at shot-put, high-jump, javelin and the hurdles etc. But my main interests were amateur boxing and gymnastics. The whole issue has been blown out of all proportion on ARRSE, but I won't be providing any "evidence" because I've no idea where I might get something like that from and because it wasn't (and still isn't) that important to me.

MsG

No, no. I call bollocks. Nobody in BAOR ever 'went on regular runs' to keep their fitness up.

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. Secondly, further thanks for assuming I have been influenced by the media. I suspect it's because my opinions are different to yours and your starting position is that I am wrong. I don't know you but going by your other posts on here you are coming at this from a left wing perspective. I am not, I'm probably more of a centrist. Left on some things, right on others and some I couldn't give a shite about. So because of that we probably won't agree on the subject at hand.

I don't believe that society is systemically racist. Sure, there are right wing, racist Loons. Just as there are left wing, racist Loons. Nobody could reasonably argue different. The majority in the middle? Doubtful.

You are also of the opinion that, until the protests, many folk believed treating black folks as inferior was tolerable. I don't believe the majority thought that. I would posit that, if anything, the protests have slightly hardened attitudes towards race. Just a bit but counterproductive all the same.

What we would agree on is that the protests have succeeded. From your point of view they are successful because they have highlighted their grievances spectacularly in terms of publicity. I think they have been successful, in BLM terms, because they have made the silent majority afraid to speak out against them. Silence is Consent. Consent is Support.

I'll stand by my opinion that modern British society isn't as divided as the Loons would have us believe.

View attachment 487155

Bugsy is an argumentative twat, as is stacker. I wouldn't read too much into what either say. Both are capable of making valid points though.

No, no. I call bollocks. Nobody in BAOR ever 'went on regular runs' to keep their fitness up.
That's your story. I, myself, me, regularly ran with carrier bags full of Schultheiss weights from the Theodor Heuss Platz Unterdegrund station to my flat. Winded me, it did.

That's your story. I, myself, me, regularly ran with carrier bags full of Schultheiss weights from the Theodor Heuss Platz Unterdegrund station to my flat. Winded me, it did.

Stopping in at Joe's Bierhaus for a freshener, no doubt?

When all this Covid tomfoolery has passed us by there's a big fear that only the white frontline staff will be remembered.
You only have to switch on your TV and you'll ne'er see a mention let alone visual representation of anything other than filthy honkies in scrubs.
But thankfully there is someone to come to our rescue so the POC won't be forgotten.

Stabwedge

Clanker
Bugsy is an argumentative twat, as is stacker. I wouldn't read too much into what either say. Both are capable of making valid points though.
I thought I’d keep First Contact with the legend nice and polite. Perhaps with a little touch of sarcasm at the start. That way if it immediately descends into the playground because I disagreed, it’s not my doing. ;)

Alas, nothing. Who had the mess Webley last?

Latest Threads