Topic 40% of UK Muslims want Sharia Law MKII

Reading a thread a couple of days ago and it now seems to have had a massive, IMHO, over cull!

i voiced my support for the Australian Government and it's immigration policy.

So to re post and steal, or borrow the initial question that prompted these sentiments.....

Topic 40% of UK Muslims' want Sharia Law

Link to previous thread.

As someone else wrote, there are 50 Muslim countries where they can have Sharia Law if they feel so strongly...

Top News

Sunday 19 February, 2006 03:05am
'40% of UK Muslims' want Sharia Law
Muslim demonstrators pray outside the French embassy in London

Four in 10 Muslims in Britain want hard-line Sharia Law introduced in parts of Britain, an ICM poll revealed.

One in five also expressed sympathy with the "feelings and motives" of the July 7 suicide bombers who killed 52 innocent people in London.

However, while British Muslims come over as alienated from mainstream society, 91% said they feel "loyal" to Britain.

The survey, for the Sunday Telegraph, follows a fresh protest in Trafalgar Square by thousands of Muslims against the cartoons of the prophet Mohammed.

Sadiq Khan, the Labour MP appointed to the task force set up after the 7/7 attacks, called the findings "alarming".

"Vast numbers of Muslims feel disengaged and alienated from mainstream British society," the MP told the newspaper.

Sharia Law, which is practised in large parts of the Middle East, specifies stonings and amputations as routine punishments. Religious police are responsible for bringing suspects before special courts.

Sharia should be introduced in "predominantly Muslim" areas of Britain, according to 40% of the 500 Muslims polled. Almost the same number, 41%, opposed the move.

While 20% said they felt sympathy for the London suicide bombers' motives, another 75% said they did not. Just 1% backed the attacks.

Almost two-thirds believed video images of British troops beating Iraqi youths, uncovered last week, were representative of a wider problem in the war-ravaged country. Exactly half predicted the soldiers responsible will not be "appropriately published".
Link

Is DEBATE and OPINION that digresses from the opinion of the moderator reason for deletion?

Rincewind

No Rincewind, but filling a post with F-Words does.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yeah, I noticed that.

I too thought that the Aussies had the correct idea - it's our country, you may live here if you wish, but will abide by our rules.

Or perhaps if I went to Saudi and wanted to live under British Law then the moderator would support me and delete any posts that opposed my view ?

I realise that certain people feel that the true opinions of site members may be in their eyes 'damaging' to the site, but isn't the solution to ban those members concerned for not toeing the Party line ?

The front page banner could be amended to read :

ARRSE is the Lib Dem's UNOFFICIAL centre of military and civil current affairs, news, statements applading the Party manifesto, humour, jobs, photos and bullshit.

Or "Current Affairs is not the Naafi Bar. If you want to make a point, don't make it a rant sprinkled with F-words" . Which once again , is the reason the complainant's post was deleted.

The use of the F word was Pongos excuse at deleting opinions he disagrees with. He's very good at doublespeak and even better at double standards.

PartTimePongo said:
Or "Current Affairs is not the Naafi Bar. If you want to make a point, don't make it a rant sprinkled with F-words" . Which once again , is the reason the complainant's post was deleted.
Ok - so why not PM me and tell me to remove the fword. or remove them yourself - you didnt even have the decency to say that you deleted it, and nor did you answer when i asked later in the thread.

double standards indeed PTP as i know you are no stranged to the F word.

The job of a moderator is to moderate not supress

Rincewind

I think I've made the points "Calm down on the flowery language " and "it's not the Naafi Bar" on numerous occasions Rincewind.

I do not PM everyone whose posts I delete, and on the majority of occasions, they do not question why , as they invariably know just why it happened. I do PM posters , and continue to do so , to prevent any confusion as to why their posts were deleted , if it is not immediately apparent.

In your case, you posted a rant peppered with F-words. It didn't add anything to the ongoing debate. Other posts have been edited and deleted for similiar reasons, but the original posters haven't come back to me asking for reasons why , as they know why it happened.

Now in your opening post, you suggest I deleted your post because it contained opinion I disagreed with. You forgot to mention any other reasons why that post may possibly have been deleted, until your last post.

But it's easier to garner support for your opinion , by just saying "Oh he deleted it because it is contrary to his opinion" , no?

I will continue to delete posts that contain excessive profanity and add nothing substantial to debate.

PTP

I just think its nice that they've said 40 % and then explained that that's 4 in 10. Without that I'd have been stuck for hours.

Play friendly peeps!

Pongo wrote...

Armourer

Shut up , really, just shut the fcuk up. No one, but no one has been screaming that we are interfering with their culture. How would they justify it? 'We want to be free to murder young people because that is our way?

As of now, expect any posts that I believe, as the moderator, to be just more of your bigoted sh*t stirring, will be chopped at birth.

This is a fairly important story, but you've just used it to get back on your torchlit soapbox

Tell you what, take your tired, racist sh*t stirring crap, and fcuk off to the BNP board.

If you wish to complain to the management about my reply to you, then please do so.

You are either a stupid, self-centered bigot, a racist or you're just doing it for effect , I really don't care which any more. You've abused my good humour long enough.
One of 85 hits in Current Affairs and 197 overall.

PTP, with respect, swearing is not a valid reason to cull posts, and certainly not when you're as big an offender as the rest of us.

Yep , and I got a severe and justified telling off on that one too , not withstanding the context.

On 197 occasions in 9000+ posts, I have indeed resorted to profanity. I shall have a proper word with myself.

In the interim however , as Arrse grows and is read and quoted in the mainstream more and more, f-word rants that add noting of substance as opposed to debating points become increasingly unacceptable. I luckily intercepted and edited one notable reply from a poster that had some good points liberally sprinkled with F-words. That (edited) reply was subsequently quoted in the National press. :(

It's a curse perhaps, or Arrse becoming more 'accessible'. Now we really have someone reading over our collective shoulders , and saying "Who cares what I say" can have an effect in the wider arena.

If a point is made, with some good points included therein which can drive a debate on, or give pause for thought, I will take the time and edit out the swearwords , as I have done on numerous occasions and continue to do.

All to easily we forget how many people read Arrse , and how often our comments end up in print.

X-Inf

War Hero
Book Reviewer
PartTimePongo said:
I will continue to delete posts that contain excessive profanity and add nothing substantial to debate.
PTP
Good - that means no more Liberal Party bias in this forum then!

looking at the quote there are only 4 swear words. i havent seen rincewinds post so will someone tell me how many swear words it contained and whether they were spelt correctly or not

PartTimePongo said:
Yep , and I got a severe and justified telling off on that one too , not withstanding the context.

On 197 occasions in 9000+ posts, I have indeed resorted to profanity. I shall have a proper word with myself.

In the interim however , as Arrse grows and is read and quoted in the mainstream more and more, f-word rants that add noting of substance as opposed to debating points become increasingly unacceptable. I luckily intercepted and edited one notable reply from a poster that had some good points liberally sprinkled with F-words. That (edited) reply was subsequently quoted in the National press. :(

It's a curse perhaps, or Arrse becoming more 'accessible'. Now we really have someone reading over our collective shoulders , and saying "Who cares what I say" can have an effect in the wider arena.

If a point is made, with some good points included therein which can drive a debate on, or give pause for thought, I will take the time and edit out the swearwords , as I have done on numerous occasions and continue to do.

All to easily we forget how many people read Arrse , and how often our comments end up in print.
The public are hardly likely to be offended by troopers swearing like troopers when in conversation with each other.

I don't know if they are or not Awol. I'd really rather not give our critics any more ammunition if it can be avoided, especially in recent times.

Pongo, self censorship is the thin end of the wedge, if we make concessions, no matter how small, it is a victory for the forces of intolerance. Another step on the road to dictatorship, when you mention our critics, why not be honest and say you would rather not give ammunition to our enemies?

At the risk of diverting the thread back to the original post about the ICM Poll including the 40% wish for Sharia Law I recall that 1% thought the 7/7 bombing was a good idea. The Guardian claims there ar 1.8 million Muslims in the UK that means there are 18,000 who support the bombings, if only 1% of them were willing to participate that would mean 180 people living among us who will happily try to kill us with another 17.820 cheering them on.

If ARRSE is an Army forum shouldn't it reflect soldiers lives including our language?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D ARRSE: Site Issues 5
Golf_one_one Aviation 27
E AGC, RAPTC and SASC 3