Topcliffe

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by buryfc66, Feb 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I'm posted to Topcliffe can anybody give me some pointers, whats the place like etc, usual MoD websites are not much use.

Cheers.

2. Middle of nowhere, cold, wet, very **** booking in/out system at the gate, erm... thats about it really.

3. are you married? single?

4. Middle of nowhere, you get to run round an old airfield to alleviate the boredom, not far from "Thirsk", full of bloody northerners, i think thats about it from memory, enjoy.. :roll:

5. The best bit is the road that leads away from the place.

6. Get a great pint of Theakstons in the pub, problem is it's 3km from camp gates located at the roundabout half way to Thirsk. Lousy public transport, Northallerton is or was ok for a night on the lash, thats about 14 km from the camp.
    Nice view of the chalk sculptures on the hills, memory is a bit hazy, think it was a horse, nice bit of the country there, sutton Bank if you feel like a really good run, should bring on a sweat, pickering isn't too bad a place either.
    Enjoy

7. Married, so would love some honest info on the state of the Qtr's etc, sounds pretty grim from what a few of you said so far lol.

8. Everyplace is what you make it, if youv'e got a car, then no problem, might be a bit of a gash comment, but you will be living in the middle of Herriot country, if you have kids, then Scarborough is only an hour away, the M1 is about 5 minutes from camp, you wont be a prisoner, lots of history in the area.
    But in the words of Matti Nykaenen (ski jumper) ``It's all up yours´´ I think he meant it's all up to you

9. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

The mill run :lol:

10. Cheers fella's,

Looks pretty close to some decent places for the weekends, been in Germany for the last 12 years so UK will be a bit of a shock. :(

11. You're right there fella.

12. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

What are you driving? The A1(M) might not be far away but the M1 is a lot further south :roll:

13. Topcliffe is what you make of it. If you can be bothered to get out and about in your car there's load to do for families if not well guess what.
    Quarters are ok do you have an address I can be more specific just street name obviously.
    Camp with just 40 in very few garrison duties.
    Start working on your fitness now if needed and regiment is moving to pastures afield later this year which I am sure you are aware of.

14. Volvo s40, but as Iv'e not been to Topcliffe for 34 years, always called the M1 as far as I was aware, currently living 10km from E3, thats the Euro route.

15. Shopping is not bad as long as you have transport.
    York can be dear so keep her indoors out of it.
    Good place to eat near camp called the watermill.
    Well worth a visit to the races Thirsk or Weatherby
    Catterick market is good for sunday mornings.
    Quarters will be smaller then you are used to.
    Golf course on camp and stables also.
    Loads of fishing localy if you fancy wetting a line
    Best thing is you can have a life away from the army