Top Terrier resigns

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by chocolate_frog, Sep 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think you know the answer to that one

2. Bye then.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Poor bloke, whats he going to do for cash now? I meann he will have to flog all those CVRW he allegedly bought for his regiment!

4. Maybe you should be worried about this. The Mail bit about the name is a smokescreen. What its really about is he has lost his argument with Army Command over professionalising the reserves. It confirms what is almost common knowledge anyway - that Reserves 2020 isn't being taken seriously by the Regular Army. He pissed off a lot of senior officers arguing for proper support for the 2020 plan; looks like he's finally admitted defeat. The irony is that A2020 won't work without the reserves.

Most of the TA will suffer as a result. Though some bits will do rather well out of it.

• Like Like x 5
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

True, its is sad when an independantly wealthy person who decides that his nations defence is worthy of his patronage is ignored in this way. Its not as if he is a know nothing numpty jumped up stab is he. I seem to recall he has filled virtually every post from Trooper to Brigadier in the current set up.
    There is a need for 2020 to work and perhaps if the politicians had some nads they would ensure it works even if certain senior officers get retired for obstructing this.
    I have seen similar situations where 2 companies have had to sack senior managers for resisting the changes that ultimately saved the company and the jobs of those employees. The company was bought in one case, staff tuped over and it has grown. In the other case it stayed independant but thrived.
    perhaps its time for those market forces to be applied?

6. Ugly - So are you saying this is a good thing or a bad thing ?

7. General 'Eyebrows' falling on his sword is a good thing. He massively over-estimated the professionalism of the TA to the rest of the Army. I witnessed on several occasions him stating that the TA were the ultimate volunteer and were better that the regular. Apparently he got slapped down recently... Good riddance I say, now cull all the other wasters and drag the TA forward

• Like Like x 1
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I think my second post should make it clear that if the senior Terrier leaves because the grown ups wont support the necessary moves to make the future shape of the army as dictated by our political employers work then it can only be a bad thing! Or perhaps his leaving will force change and then it could be a good thing, if so would he be asked to reconsider?

• Like Like x 1
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

great, apply it across the board!

10. I briefed him a few times.

He was at best confused and at worst delusional.

• Like Like x 3
  11. I would say that TA blokes could be better than regulars... but then I don't know what 'scale of reference' you're using, nor do you know which I am.

TA blokes can NEVER compete with a Regular in terms of pure trade, ie a 3 Year Infantry soldier in the Regs will be leaps and bounds ahead of his peer in the TA.

But let's look at them.

Reg - prob 21/22 years of age, 1 maybe 2 tours as a tom, still goes home to mum on leave.

TA - Age 21 - 46 years of age, Possible mil experience in a different expertise, holds down a job on the outside that is likely to be quite different to their TA role, may have a family, own household, etc
    I know the TA Plt that were handling the FP role a while back were quite capable. Capt (TA) in charge, CSgt Plt Sgt and 4 sections of 8, a Cpl was about 40 odd and a granddad. But by fcuk could were these guys great. the skills they had in the plt were legion. And they were extremly well received by the locals.

I'd say he was slapped down (and he probably gave an easy target) for upsetting reg sensibilities. Regs don't want to lose PIDs to the TA.

I'd say it's time to clear out the dross in the Regs too, and yolk the TA and Regs to the burden of National defence (and misc tasks).

• Like Like x 9
  12. What do you think is going to happen now that the 'grown ups' (a generous description) have decided that they are not going to do what is necessary ? Will be interesting to see who replaces Grosvenor. Maybe if he was as delusional as Bed In suggests his departure will be a good thing. But maybe not for most of the TA.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Totally agree, PAP 10 needs to be ruthlessly employed throughout. Hopefully come Dec most TA units will be tied to a local Reg regiment and will come under their training cycle. See what happens but this will be a wake up call for all bounty hunters and drinking club veterans

• Like Like x 2
  14. I hold a similar view having had the task of dealing with him on a couple of occasions. A decent bloke in a "lets go on the piss etc" sort of way; maybe he was hiding a razor sharp intellect, if he was he did it well.

I can't be arrsed to research the "Tpr to Maj Gen" soundbite but can only guess its a tad disingenuous?