Top Ten Low Fly Pasts

Pity the OP's link didn't include one of English Electric's finest, with a 92 Sqn driver, beating up the ASP at Gutersloh many years ago. From where I was standing - upstairs in 5 hangar - I was looking down at him!

ex_colonial said:
Ah, those Spitfires eh!! love the unmistakeable sound of the Merlin engine, (wipes tear from eye) :crying:
The Merlin engine is cool, but the Harrier's Pegasus engine makes a lot more noise and sounds oh so sweet.

But what would I know, I'm just an ex-Blue-nose :salut:

Black Buck One - Out

Sixty said:
tropper66 said:
Two years ago at Kidwlly rugby club the crab announcer said "Ladies and gents did you know that the Lancaster bomber was very good at low level bombing" ( went on about the raid when Cheshire won th VC) and then said " I give you The Ciry of Lincoln" Well the fcuking thing came of at about thirty feet scarring the crap out of everyone, tents almost blown down,dogs barking, complet turmoil, I WAS PURE MAJIC, the roar of the Merlins at that hight was deafening, the ground shook ,brilliant

Bring back fond memories of your time with The Dam-Busters did it?
No, the only time I did a bombing run at the Mohne dam was in a XT568 Sioux AH1 with Greg P the para pilot 31st May 72

baldbof said:
Pity the OP's link didn't include one of English Electric's finest, with a 92 Sqn driver, beating up the ASP at Gutersloh many years ago. From where I was standing - upstairs in 5 hangar - I was looking down at him!
I recognise all the words but that post makes no sense to me. A man behind the wheel of an electric car had a fight with a snake?

well if you gonna fly past at low level, at least hit the git watching, i thought he got taken out by a sniper

Linky

I would love to have seen a video of when Martin Whithers flew a Vulcan below the tourist helicopters in the Grand Canyon

tropper66 said:
I would love to have seen a video of when Martin Whithers flew a Vulcan below the tourist helicopters in the Grand Canyon
My best fly past news shot was in 1982, when the UN were going to send some troops into Lebanon. I was on standby at Brize for this prior to departing to Cyprus. Before the troops went in to Beirut, the US Navy and the RAF did a 'show-of-strength' fly past over the city.

The Yanks went over at about 1000 ft, followed by a squadron of RAF Buccaneers which were weaving in and out of the high rises and hotels.

Awesome flying.

Black Buck One - Out

Does anyone have a link to the videos of the Buccaneers flying at an exercise (Red Flag?) in the good ole US of A?

BlackBuckOne said:
tropper66 said:
My best fly past news shot was in 1982, when the UN were going to send some troops into Lebanon. I was on standby at Brize for this prior to departing to Cyprus. Before the troops went in to Beirut, the US Navy and the RAF did a 'show-of-strength' fly past over the city.

The Yanks went over at about 1000 ft, followed by a squadron of RAF Buccaneers which were weaving in and out of the high rises and hotels.

Awesome flying.

Black Buck One - Out
While doing FAC training at Magilligan point one of the Buccaneers blew the BBC camera crew of the top of a sand dune , and went under our Sioux scarred the crap out on us, It used to really piss us off in Germany when the jet jockies buzzed us in the Low level link routes

baldbof said:
Used to look down at Buccaneers,and Sea Vixen doing fly-bys,from the Flight Deck of Hermes back in the 70,s,you want low level,that was low level. :)

broken_man said:
baldbof said:
I recognise all the words but that post makes no sense to me. A man behind the wheel of an electric car had a fight with a snake?
Driver, Jockey = Pilot

English Electric refers to the Lightning fighter aircraft, which were based at RAF Gutersloh until disbanded in 1977. The Lightning as a fighter was replaced by the F4 Phantom, and they were themselves replaced by the Tornado.

The English Electric Lightning was an awesome aircraft, basically a rocket with a pilot sitting on top and a couple of air to air missiles on each wing. Damn fast, but a crap duration though and could only stay airborne for a short period before it needed more juice to keep it up.

The Lightning was the mainstay of our Air Defence in the 1960's to late 70's.

Black Buck One - Out

DrusstheLegend:well if you gonna fly past at low level, at least hit the git watching, i thought he got taken out by a sniper

Linky

It's a dummy you mong

well i know he works for the BBC but is that really called for :D

Another Linky

BlackBuckOne said:
broken_man said:
baldbof said:
Driver, Jockey = Pilot

English Electric refers to the Lightning fighter aircraft, which were based at RAF Gutersloh until disbanded in 1977. The Lightning as a fighter was replaced by the F4 Phantom, and they were themselves replaced by the Tornado.

The English Electric Lightning was an awesome aircraft, basically a rocket with a pilot sitting on top and a couple of air to air missiles on each wing. Damn fast, but a crap duration though and could only stay airborne for a short period before it needed more juice to keep it up.

Black Buck One - Out

Attachments

The Lightening was on the wonders of the solar system the other evening which I caught on iplayer. Will try and find it. It was the only thing that would fly high enough to allow him to see the earths atmosphere.

Enigma266 said:
The Lightening was on the wonders of the solar system the other evening which I caught on iplayer. Will try and find it. It was the only thing that would fly high enough to allow him to see the earths atmosphere.
One of the ones that can be hired for a jolly in Cape town, seen them when I worked at Malan airport

P Chapman Esq at Burma Star Day Waterbeach,deafened half population of Cambridge.
Unknown Strikemaster pilot Thumwrait,saw the rounds on target before he nearly gave me centre parting. :slow:

BlackBuckOne said:
broken_man said:
baldbof said:
Driver, Jockey = Pilot

Black Buck One - Out
Oh dear........Lightnings had two fuselage mounted AAMs not a couple on each wing.....

Odo

Latest Threads