Top ten Benefit illnesses

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by LordVonHarley, Apr 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Where does Narcolepsy fit in there? Is is a sub category of Mental Retardation?

I am impressed by the fact that Unknown Causes is third. Basically the doctor cannot find anything wrong, but they are still allowed to be parasites.

2. More like 'this man's a danger to anyone in any workplace, but he's not actually ill with anything they've ever bothered to come up with a name for'

3. Not wanting to sound harsh but the GPs need to get a ******* grip.

Just how bad is this depression that is keeping people off work? Should they be on suicide watch? The "Unknown" is a bloody disgrace.

4. Well doley boy next door to me gave up his job 12 years ago for an easier life. Started with back pain, then having handouts he spent it on drink and drugs. When the money runs out he suffers from depression, and of course only walking as far as the local spar shop has made him overweight.

5. If I had no pride I'd be jumping straight on that bandwagon! The problem is that it's too easy for idle scroats to get away with it.

6. Urgh. I've actually had depression and I can say from experience that the worst thing you can do is sit around on your bum and mope all day. They just need motivation ( cut off their dole and they'll soon get off the sofa, god forbid they don't have enough money to pay for sky + every month)

7. The big problem with depression is it's very much a catch all category and the severity can range from minor to life debilitating/ending. Colossaly misunderstood is depression. But then I bet alot of case's are very much in the pseudo vein i,e I feel a bit down ( which isn't depression).

Severe depression is a legitimate cause for not being able to find a job and the problem with looking for a job is that it can be depressing. Its whether the person is more depressed being out of work than looking for a job.

Like Bumblebee says the best cure ironically is spending as little time on your arse as possible so its a bit of a catch 22

8. Speaking as one who has suffered from depression, I can confirm that it isn't about "feeling down". Churchill also suffered from it and called it "black dog". True depression begins with a vicious circle of high levels of stress causing, brain chemical depletion leading to sleep deprivation and more brain chemical depletion until you become almost a vegetable. My doctor told me that "everyone feels a bit down occasionally, you have to go home and give yourself a kick up the backside". Later on when they carted me off to hospital, he denied having said it. Tosser. Anyway, I met a very good Doc in hospital, a psychiatrist called Tim Cantopher (have a look through his book: Depressive illness-curse of the strong), who told that I wasn't going insane, but that I had depletion of certain brain chemicals, which was reversible. He sent me to see a Yarpie Colonel, Dr of medicine and of psychology, called Anton Kruger. To cut a long story short it took me more than a year from being diagnosed, to recover. During that year and the preceding one I was no more capable of working than I was of unaided flight. However, I didn't claim a penny off the dole or the social since one of the underlying causes of my depression was overwork and stress but which had enabled me to accumulate enough dosh to coast for a couple of years.

9. EODMatt - That is a perfect example of what I understand as being depression, I have family who are Manic Depressives and two close friends who have suffered from depression through work/family going its up. To me, some one who has a good understanding of psychology and been "a bit down" for 5 months, I can not believe how many are incapable of working due to depression. As a society are we more prone to depression or are the majority of people claiming IB just a bit down and stuck in a rut?

10. I think in many cases its the of availability of an excuse. A bit like low hanging fruit, you just help yourself to a handout and then after that it's all down hill. Here in Vietnam there are not many depressed people. There are quite a lot of pissed off people: low wages, poverty only very basic health care, but the doctors don't hand out prescriptions willy nilly for SSSRI's such as serotonin to all and sundry. The depressed people here tend to follow Cantophers model: high achieving, ferociously hard working mid level and senior managers / professionals, who suffer burn out, which is what happened to me. I asked a doctor friend about the incidence of people being treated for depression - he works for the FV (Franco Vietnamese) Hospital here in Saigon, which keeps Ffrench standards of clinical and medical care.

I think that once a doctor in UK has told someone they are "depressed" and handed out serotonin, they are labelled for life and there's little chance of going back.

When I told Kruger what my doctor had said in response to me going to him and saying that I was having problems with reality (one of the symptoms of real depression is that you see things as though through a third party, or as a remote observer), he said that it was an all too common attitude and that doctors generally need re educating about depression. Just as they needed to be re educated about antibiotics a few years ago to stop them from handing them out like sweets, now they need educating to stop them from handing out SRRI's like smarties.

And I think some of it is to do with living in an inner city or estate area in UK. In many areas it isn't safe to go out after dark. The police have gained a reputation for not caring (justifiably or not) and for being there solely to keep the peace. Local councils are riddled with political correctness and apply myriad petty rules and regulations, enforceable by fines in some areas and the country seems to be full of busy body "inspectors" and officials. Shit I feel depressed just thinking about it.

• Like Like x 3

11. Eod

These are both very good posts!

I also think that this site should encourage blokes to get attention for depression as early as possible.

I agree that depression is often caused by a biochemical reaction to protracted periods of stress such as working in dangerous environments and unpredictable situations. It is often a part of the burn out process.

"Psychologists Herbert Freudenberger and Gail North have theorized that the burnout process can be divided into 12 phases, which are not necessarily followed sequentially, nor necessarily in any sense be relevant or exist other than as an abstract construct.[1]

A compulsion to prove oneself
    Working harder
    Neglecting one's own needs
    Displacement of conflicts (the person does not realize the root cause of the distress)
    Revision of values (friends or hobbies are completely dismissed)
    Denial of emerging problems (cynicism and aggression become apparent)
    Withdrawal (reducing social contacts to a minimum, becoming walled off; alcohol or other substance abuse may occur)
    Behavioral changes become obvious to others
    Depersonalization (life becomes a series of mechanical functions)
    Inner emptiness
    Depression
    Burnout syndrome"

It is often accompanied by other life threatening symptoms including high blood pressure, heavy drinking and smoking, drug abuse and high risk screwing around.

Therefore, posts which question the validity of depression as a legitimate illness or imply sufferers are malingerers, are not really on, in any site associated with the armed forces.

As I say, my trigger for a few lifestyle changes was an admission to A&E with sky high blood pressure; however, had it not been for my perception that depression was equated to a lack of moral fibre I would have sought help a lot earlier and saved myself and my dependants a hell of a lot of grief.

I would suggest that there needs to be a way to split the diagnosis so that good blokes are encouraged to seek treatment and to nip the problem in the bud as early as possible in a way that they are not lumped in with a gang of malingering gits.

The attached articles may be of interest and confirm the view that depression/burnout is very much a condition associated with the strong:
    http://www.bordeninstitute.army.mil/published_volumes/military_psychiatry/MPch3.pdf
    http://www.headington-institute.org/Portals/32/resources/AntaresLiteratureReview_revformat3-11-03_.pdf
    http://www.bma.org.uk/images/doctorshealth_tcm41-173983.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yep, a very good description of the burnout process and good links. Thanks. One thing which may be of interest is that one learns, during the recovery process to recognise the factors that lead to burn out and avoid them. Drinking too heavily is one and sleep loss is another, to name just two.

But the GP's role in recognising who is clinically depressed and getting them treatment rather than ******* them off with SRRRI's is crucial.

13. If we get back to the root of this thread, these people know how to play the system for their own benefit and it's Guys and Gals like us who are funding them, whether directly or indirectly.

There are some very 'switched on' cookies on this Site to say the least but who is more 'switched on' we, who have to work to live or those that are quite happy to let someone else work for them to live?

If WE knew how to play the system as good as these Parasites obviously do, would we do exactly the same?

I have never claimed a penny from the system and I'm not far off the big six five but I look around the area I live in and think "Who's the the ********, here" - me, or the bloke who's never worked a day in his life, yet there are two 4x4's and a Jag outside his house.

We are the Architects of our own downfall with respect to this social problem and to be brutally honest if it doesn't affect me or my Family in any way, shape or form, I really don't give a monkeys.......it's an age thing!!!!

• Like Like x 2