Top tank commanders of WWII

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by alloydog, Sep 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm running this in several places on t'internet, to get a good range of answers.

I need the names of who folk consider the top three WWII tank commanders from the US, Great Britain & Commonwealth, Germany and Soviet Union - that's three from each. It's for a set of playing cards, so I need suggestions for the King, Queen and Jack cards. Also, any suggestions for the Jokers?

I had though of using the nations leaders and other senior army chaps, but I figured some folk might baulk at the idea of Hitler as "King"... :eek:

2. Jokers?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. My great uncle Alf must be up there. He got his crew through North Africa and Sicily without loss despite having an unreliable Valentine!

His crew thought he was a great bloke, he even poured the sand into the carbs himself a few times.

A big **** off German shell found him at Anzio though!

4. Wow, like that's a beautiful suggestion. Should dispel any negative waves.

5. My Grandfather, he drove them Hobarrts funnies, he wasn't even a "Tankie" he was RE. He didn't get found by a shell at Anzio though.

6. Think the bridge will be there and it will be there. It's a mother, beautiful bridge, and it's gonna be there. OK?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bridge, cards, that's just sweet...

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Michael Wittmann, Hans Bolter, Hermann Bix - spades

• Like Like x 1
  9. Surely Patton, Rommel and Monty have to be up there

10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

11. Not quite the highest scoring, but for few interesting incidents, along with a high KO rate, Barkmann must be a possibility.

12. I thought they were all white Germans?

• Like Like x 1
  13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Brit - Joe Ekins took out three Tigers in his first battle.
    Originally thought to have got Wittmann but since changed to Canadians.

Pat Dyas' driver allegedly either reversed back up a street to avoid Wittmann

14. So what is this?
    [​IMG]

If you want tank commanders and unit commanders try George Forty's Book Tank Action. This has examples from each of the countries you want.